View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Aihrde very easy to set up 
Lore Drake

Post Aihrde very easy to set up
Just wanted to also post that after my 1st session I can state that Aihrde is unequivocally the easiest to set up for players new to the setting... took only 5 minutes to briefly explain the legend of the cosmos, creation of the world, coming of Unklar and the 1000 years of the Winter's Dark and the players had the feel.

They got just enough background to understand the nature of the world as it is, and I could tell the party used it because of the wariness they added in their group play (compared to a brighter, less-worried party dynamic when I played with same group last year).

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Battle Stag

It's interesting to hear that. Frankly, I always imagined that Aihrde would be a bit heavy on newer players to the setting because of all the historical background.

I guess the AWD Folio goes a long way in slimming down the meaty backstory, and gives a nice overview of the setting a whole. Check out the Codex of Erde for some serious deep history.
......................................Omote

FPQ

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Cleric of Zagyg

Omote wrote:
I guess the AWD Folio goes a long way in slimming down the meaty backstory, and gives a nice overview of the setting a whole. Check out the Codex of Erde for some serious deep history.
......................................Omote

FPQ

Yeah, I was curious about this, John did you in fact use the AWD?

Back when we started I used the Codex, but I only through out very basic stuff. As we progressed through A0 and A1, I doled out a little more and had the Baron and his wizard feed it to the players.

Of course, the A modules have lots of great Aihrde lore and info contained in them that CK's can use or ignore.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:37 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Oops, nevermind John. I see by one of the posts below that you have the AWD Folio.

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:40 pm
Lore Drake

Rhuvein wrote:
Oops, nevermind John. I see by one of the posts below that you have the AWD Folio.

Yep, I have the Folio. I never had the Codex. In the AWD the history is given in seven pages at the end of the primer book, along with other details scattered through the cosmology sections, nations descriptions, etc.

In terms of setup there are still, even with this, enormous chunks of history I simply didn't feel that these players would need to get into the world - rather, they could learn bits and pieces beyond the basic setup.

Thus, the only real salient parts were the myths of the all-father's creation of the world from the maelstorm on the back of Inzae, that the world once saw the rise of great empires, and that all was thrown into darkness with the summoning of the Horned One Unklar. I described the 1000 years of the Winter Dark, and how the world has just emerged.

With the small area around Botkinburg they begin with, I don't feel they should care about the legends of Luther and Morgeld, etc. yet. Or of the tales of the dwarves (there isn't one in the party right now). I figure as they begin to expand out, I will slowly have them learn more as the campaign enlargins. Right now, the only thing they're concerned with is Botkinburg, how to do the jobs they've set out to do, what they get out of it (this is a very mercenary party), and solving their individual character needs.

Yet the overall flavor of the setting I believe I conveyed and they seem to have integrated even in 1st session. The wizard character lusts for magical knowledge, and doesn't care if it's of darkness or not.
I can imagine if you want a party to really understand you'd have to spend a lot of time covering it all, but do characters really need to know that much? I was just comparing Aihrde to a few other settings, and even Greyhawk I still feel the need to give a little more history on the Twin Cataclysms and the history of the Great Kingdom and of Iuz and Greyhawk City, all of which takes about 30-45 minutes in my past campaigns.

Of course this could be because I had so many years invested in Greyhawk and am so new to Aihrde I don't feel the same necessity to share detail.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]