View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Pre-Generated Characters for C&C Games 
Unkbartig

Post Pre-Generated Characters for C&C Games
Well, since I very seldom get to play C&C, I thought the folks who do and all the new people we are trying to introduce to the game might like to have a small library of pre-generated characters to draw upon when needed.

I will try to develop each character according to the rules and add a little bit a background and flavor, but also allow for a great deal of development for any person choosing to run the character in a game.

Everyone else is welcome to add their pre-generated character here as well.

Fri May 05, 2006 2:38 am
Profile WWW
Unkbartig

Wendric ( win' dric)

1st Level Bard

Hit Points 6 (-1 for Con)

Strength 10

Intelligence 15

Wisdom 12

Dexterity 14

Constitution 8

Charisma 15

Primes: Charisma, Intelligence, and Strength.

Wendric was born the only son of a soldier. His father was Captain of the guard for a benevolent and just Baron. Tragically, Wendrics mother died from complications during childbirth. Raised within the walls of the Barons keep, Wendrics talents at recitation and acting were evident even as a child performing in the local festival pageants. The Baron took a special interest in him and financially supported his studies in a city some distance away. While engaged in his studies, Wendric spent many hours reading and researching the tales of ancient kingdoms, mysteries and heroic adventures. Secretly in his heart he nurtured a desire to explore ancient ruins and perform heroic deeds in the service of some greater good. Upon completing his education and returning to his home village, Wendric entered into the Barons service as official Herald and Scribe. He also received military training from his father and fought alongside the Barons forces.

All was well until a few months ago when the Barons Lord ordered his forces to attack a neighboring palatine noble. Even without much hope for success in such an attack against a powerful neighbor, the Baron and his army performed their required service. Wendrics father, the Baron, and the majority of their soldiery were killed in the battle. Having died without an heir, the Barons Lord placed a new noble in charge of Wendrics village. The new Baron quickly proved to be an unjust and unwise ruler. Wendric could not stomach serving him, so he resigned his position and left home looking for a new life of adventure.

Wendric is an attractive young man with brown hair and hazel eyes. Although a gifted performer and a talented fighter, Wendric does suffer from a weak constitution for reasons that are not clear. He was often ill as a child and still has some difficulty in eating some kinds of foods. For this reason, Wendric appears a little leaner than a man of his strength should.

Wendrics personal items include a mail shirt that was a gift from the Baron, his fathers longsword, a quill, ink, and eight sheets of vellum. The rest of his belongings can be purchased with his remaining coin of 80 gold pieces.

Fri May 05, 2006 2:42 am
Profile WWW
Ulthal

Here are a pair of characters I really like:

Fromgard Wifflenok

1st Lvl Gnome Wizard (CG)

HP 4

Str 8

Int 18

Wis 9

Dex 9

Con 13

Cha 10

Primes: Int, Dex

Dolgard Wifflenok

1st Lvl Gnome Cleric (NG)

HP 7

Str 13

Int 9

Wis 15

Dex 10

Con 14

Cha 10

Primes: Wis, Con

Fromgard and Dolgard are twins from a gnomish mountain settlement. Identical in appearence, they have completely different personalities. Both are balding with bright yellow hair and steel green eyes. Dolgard is stout and strong and always look out for his, spry and brittle brother Fromgard.

Fromgard showed a special aptitude for magic and his wealthy gem merchant father sent him off to study at the Blue Tower Mage guild in a nearby human settlement. Against their father's wishes Dolgard follwed Fromgard to keep an eye on him. Dolgard found work at the CHancel in the human settlement and recieved training as a cleric.

Fromard is very gifted, but is acident prone. One too many accidents in the alchemy lab ended his enrollment with the Blue Mages. Having shamed the family name, Fromgrad set out on his own, hoping to succed as a journeyman mage. Dolgard follows his brother everywhere, protecting him from harm.

Dolgard is gruff and mistrusts most people. He tends to forget his manners when somone seems to threaten his brother. However, he is a kind heart and is a loyal companion once you earn his trust. Fromgard is very brilliant but is clumsy and absent minded. He loves his brother, but is driven by a determination to bring honor back to the Wifflenok name through his adventures.

Fromgard carries a dagger, staff and spellbook. He also carries A spyglass his father gave him as a present. He also has 15gp for other equipment. Fromgard's spells per day are: O Level; 4, 1st level 3 (bonus spell for 1, 2, 3 level). His Spellbook contains the following spells: O Level: Detect Magic, Light, Message, Mending. 1st Level: Magic Missle, Feather Fall, Shield.

Dolgard carries a war hammer, small steel shield, chain shirt, ivory holy symbol, waterskin, flint and steel and a backpack. He also has 10gp for other equipment. Dolgard's spells per day are: 0 Level; 3, 1st level 2 (bonus spell).

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Fri May 05, 2006 4:12 am
Profile WWW
Ulthal

Does anyone know why the board changes the number 13 to the smilies? DOlgard should have a 13 Str and Fromgard a 13 Con, but the smilies are there instead. I have smilies disabled in my profile, what gives?

Fri May 05, 2006 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

"The Kirk"

1st Lvl Human Fighter (NG)

HP 8

Str 12

Int 12

Wis 12

Dex 15

Con 10

Cha 17

"The Kirk" has a wooden sword that he calls his "phaser" and he doesn't wear any armor. No matter who he travels with, all elves are known as "spock" and all clerics as "bones" and all drunken dwarves are called "Scotty". If any party members wear a red shirt, they are required to travel at the front of the group and die first.

"My--goodness, man...I'm ...(pause and freeze) responsible-for-the lives of six people!...(dramatic hand gestures)...Shoot...to-kill, spock...phasers on full! Scotty, beam me up!"

Brian Miller

"Gotta love The Kirk. Too fun to play, regardless of the game system."

Fri May 05, 2006 7:29 am
Battle Stag

miller6 wrote:
"The Kirk"

Hee hee
.................................................Omote

FPQ

Fri May 05, 2006 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Red Cap

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Good Idea:

Here are a pair of characters I really like:

Fromgard Wifflenok

1st Lvl Gnome Wizard (CG)

HP 4

Str 8

Int 18

Wis 9

Dex 9

Con 13

Cha 10

Ah, you forgot to add the 2d4 HP to his total that he gets from having a familiar! At first level, a wizard could begin with more HP than a barbarian if he rolls for the right familiar to begin with. Remember, Familiars begin with double normal HD, and the PC adds the familiars HP to their own!

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

Mon May 08, 2006 11:54 pm
Ulthal

Quote:
Ah, you forgot to add the 2d4 HP to his total that he gets from having a familiar! At first level, a wizard could begin with more HP than a barbarian if he rolls for the right familiar to begin with. Remember, Familiars begin with double normal HD, and the PC adds the familiars HP to their own!

In my games, you don't start with a familiar, you cast the spell and then you roll to see what you get. Hence no familiar in the pre-gen. However I did play Fromgard in a short-lived campaign, he had hawk familiar.

Tue May 09, 2006 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Ulthal

Zhull of the Hawk

Zhull is a totem warrior, here are the alternate rules if you like:
http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

1st lvl Human Barbarian (NG)

HP 13

Str 13

Int 9

Wis 9

Dex 16

Con 16

Cha 15

Primes: Con, Dex, Cha

Raised in a nomadic plains tribe of storytellers and archers. His father is the tribal chieftan and his mother a griot (oral histroian). Every generation a child is born with a mark of the hawk, these children are chosen to become for a great duty. Zhull is one such child.

The children with the mark often are the firstborn, Zhull the youngest of 6 children was a surprise. Not sure what to do with such a unique chosen one Zhull spilt his time between learning the histroy of his people and training to become a warrior. At the age of ascention (13) Zhull was told his true purpose. To guard one of the Sacred 12 seals. Zhull's tribe is charged in protection of the seal of the hawk. These 12 seal keep an artifact of great power locked away from those who would do evil with it.

Zhull's training sontinued till he was 20 years of age. At this time a human army of a distant empire sought out the seals, they attacked Zhulls people at the banks of a great river. Zhull wanted to stay and defend his people, but his mother gave him the Seal of the Hawk and told him to flee and protect the seal. Regretfully Zhull slipped into the river with a few possesion his mother gave him. In the chaos of the battle the soldiers did not notice Zhukls, escape. However they killed the entire tribe. Zhull is unaware of this at the time. He is now alone in the world with but a few possesions and the Seal which he keeps secretly hidden. He know seeks one of the other Tribes of 12 Seals for help.

Zhull is a physical specimen to behold, he posesses tremendous agility and stamina, from his years running on the plains. While not muscle bound, he is highly toned and deeply tanned. He also posesses striking features and is a constant object of feminine attention. Zhull hates sleeping inside builidngs and has a great fear/suspicion of human soldiers of any type.

Zhull's posessions include his father's broadsword, a composite shortbow, quiver with 20 arrows, hand axe, suit of scale mail, and a belt pouch with the Seal of the Hawk. These are his only posessions and is currently penniless.

Tue May 09, 2006 2:50 am
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

A couple fun role playing ideas for barbarians (for anyone interested). Tribal people are generally highly superstitious and tend to have many taboos and odd beliefs which makes them even more fun to play. And tribes are likely to have non-coin related forms of currency (shells, stones, animal trophies or feathers, furs, teeth, whatever) so despite being penniless, one may still act like he's wealthy and believe people who only have gold are poor by comparison.

Including quirks in the character background of a pregen helps establish personality which is useful role-playing info since it gives the player more to go on.

Cool characters so far. Hope to see more posted. From a GM's perspective, you can never have too many pregens to choose from so keep 'em coming!

Brian Miller

Tue May 09, 2006 3:59 am
Lore Drake

An idea for describing the visuals behind a find familiar spell (and I agree with combat_kyle that they are best appreciated when found during game play).

Picture a wizard standing by a campfire during a full moon. He tosses a handful of magic powder into the fire and out jumps a lot of smoke and many sparks, each of a different color. The sparks fly off in every direction then vanish into the woods (or whatever environment is appropriate). Hours later only one colored spark returns to the fire, indicating that the familiar is either in the area or on its way to the campsite. The GM may even have the color of the spark represent a certain type of creature, tipping off the wizard as to what to keep his eye open for...or not.

Tried it in my campaign and had a blast. A wizard was chasing down all sorts of creatures in the area, trying to figure out which one was supposed to become his familiar...then he splatted the spider that crawled up on his foot, only to find out that he just killed his familiar to be...so he had to wait until the next full moon to recast the spell. Another wizard found an owl in a tree with a mouse in its mouth and had to figure out whether to save the mouse or let the owl eat it. Makes the spell more entertaining...and the rest of the party is usually willing to help with the animal "scavenger hunt". In fact, throw a few challenges/pitfalls in the scavenger hunt and you've got a night's worth of gaming.

Brian Miller

Tue May 09, 2006 4:19 am
Ulthal

Alright, I've got another. I am trying to get a charcter of each class and each race. This is another wizard. (Note he is 5th level and was a NPC that accompianied the party in the game I run.)

Horatio Talbot

5th lvl Half-Orc Wizard (LN)

Str 11

Int 16

Wis 10

Dex 14

Con 16

Cha 9

Primes: Int, Con

AC 15

HP 24

To say Horatio is a social anomaly is an understatement. Being an intellectual half-orc eliminates the few avenues often open for his species. However he has proven his worth time and agian is is a proven and reliable ally.

Horatio's origin is a strange one. His human mother was a caputured slave in a orc war tribe. His mother loathed him because he was a constant reminder of her captivity. One evening while Horation was just a small child of 2, a dwarven war band fell on the orc clan where Horation and his mother lived. All orcs were slaughtered, and his mother freed. When asked what to do about the child his mother told the dwarves he sould be left in the open to die, he was an abomination.

Horation would have died if fate had not intervened. A day after the dwarf raid, a near-sighted wizard returning to his tower stumbeled upon the camp ruins. Hearing the cries of poor Horatio, the kindly wizard took the child from the elements. The wizards poor vision hid the childs orc heritage. The wizard was name Lionel Talbot.

Lionel's first intention was to find a good home for the boy in the village near his tower. However none of the villagers would have anything to do with a "ugly beast," Lionel could not understand the villagers cold hearts and raised the boy on his own. The villagers though he was a crazy old wizrd and never felt inclined to tell him the boy was a half-orc. Lionel named the boy Horatio and raised him as a human.

Horatio grew up thinking he was a human, and thinking that Lionel was his father plus the lack of mirrors in the tower, Hortaio had no reason to think so. Lionel spent his time teaching Horatio magic, and kept the boy away from the village. Lionel felt they lacked manners and wanted the boy to grow up civilized and intelligent.

When Horation turned 19, Lionel took ill and soon died. With Lionel gone, the villagers soon found out and chased Horatio out of town. He was abel to escape unscathed thanks to his ability to wield magic. He was fatherles and homeless in one evening.

The outside world was confusing to Horatio, everywhere he went he was met with contempt and hatred. Eventually he was able to start selling his magical abilities for a liveable wage. One evening in a mining town tavern, Horatio met a traveler who did not seemed disturbed by his half-orc appearence.

This man, who never told Horatio his name, gave Horatio directions to a out of the way village. Curious about this man's mystery Horatio went to the location. Instead of a village Horation stumbleled into a HQ of a secret society sworn to maintain order and peace in the world. They seek people of talent who have no personnal connections to be agents. Horatio was a perfect candidate.

Now, several years after his introduction to the secret society, Horation travels the world as a spy and operative for the organization. Horation finds this life quite agreable and has found a place he belongs.

A life as a outcast and as a secretive operative have helped Horatio develop a unique personality. He insists that race is simply a "state of mind" and insists that his orc heritage is only superfical, he is a "human at heart." A stickler for the rulers and order, Horatio often can been seen as cold and calculating, a result of being raised by textbooks and a half-blind wizard.

Horation has the following spells in his spell book:

0: Light, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Open/Close, Detect Poison, Mending, Messgae, Prestidigitation

1: Magic Missle, Shocking Grasp, Jump, Barm Person, Change Self, Identify, Shield

2: Invisibility, Knock, Rope Trick, Levitate

3: Lightning Bolt, Nondetection, Hold Person

Horatio's items:

Quarterstaff +1, Ring of Protection +3, Robe of useful items (Dagger x2, Bullseyelatern x2, Steel Mirror x2, 10ft pole x2, hemp rope 50ft x2, Large sack x2, Pit 10'x10' x2, Wooden ladder 24ft, 12ft row boat, Silver Coffer, 100gp gems x10, Potion of Cure Serious Wounds, Iron Door x2, Scroll of Changeself, Portable Ram)

Horation usually travels on a donkey and carries the normal compliment of adverturer gear (food, water, camping supplies etc...)

Tue May 09, 2006 5:32 am
Profile WWW
Unkbartig

On a side note, but kinda appropriate....

As I write modules, one of the things I've thought about adding (re: Old School) some pre-gen characters for use in the module.

Would such be of interest/use to C&C players? Or is that room better given to detailing the adventure?

Tue May 09, 2006 5:43 pm
Mogrl

I'd think, pre-gens, are only of the most use for tourney modules. For a standard kind, its not that useful, except, of course, the low level ones, where it might be fun to just jump into it with whole new people.

Tue May 09, 2006 6:02 pm
Lore Drake

Post Pregens should be considered a must
Adventures that don't come with pregens aren't truly ready-to-play products so pregens should be considered a must. Remember the needs of the newbies, if not the old timers who like them like me. The best dungeons ever published contained pregens. Even if it's just a quick list of their stats and items on a single page. I use them in my home campaign all the time, if not as PCs then as NPCs for a party that's short a character or two or for random encounters with an NPC party. I also use them for other dungeons that don't provide them. I highly recommend that either a short or full version of pregens be included in every adventure publication. Of course, for standard publications, pregens don't have to be 2-3 pages each like the ones for the cons. In many cases, their basic stats fit on a 1 page character matrix (a point to emphasize since it doesn't really hold true for 3rd edition). Heck, at worst, you can always use the same ones over and over, just tweek them for the change in levels and items.

And if I'm wrong, then Monopoly should be published without any game pieces since people can provide their own miniatures. Sounds kinda silly, doesn't it? Why should it be any different for RPGs?

Trivia question: How many dungeons did Gary Gygax create that had at least the base stats for pregens? (I don't know the answer off hand, but I can name B2, G1-3, D1-3, S1, & S3). And almost all of the adventures that evolved from tourneys came with a set of pregens.

Brian Miller

Tue May 09, 2006 9:58 pm
Unkbartig

I just wanted to make some characters that could be used to introduce new folk to roleplaying.

I think it's fun too!

Tue May 09, 2006 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

For an author, writing up pregens is a refreshing break after generating a bunch of encounters. Besides, some pregens resurface in later publications...making them interesting trivia tidbits and providing minor insight into the author's home campaign (i.e. Bigby, etc.).

And finally, pregens allow the GM to ensure that at least one party member is carrying what may turn out to be a vital magic item required in the adventure! (In other words, the GM is stocking the characters with stuff their gonna need to do well).

Brian Miller

"Okay, who's got a ring of water-walking? The warning says not to disturb the pool but the door is way over there. Wizard?"

"I'm afraid of heights so don't look to me for a fly or levitate spell."

"What about climbing walls?"

"After that last trap, we don't have a thief anymore and I'm fresh out of 1st level spells."

"Bummer. Alright, then who's up for a refreshing dip in the sacred pool of Jubilex?"

Wed May 10, 2006 12:08 am
Mogrl

Quote:
Adventures that don't come with pregens aren't truly ready-to-play products

By this logic, modules should also come with a copy of the PHB, M&T, and dice. They do not, because they are supplemental. It is assumed, and stated, that such things are required materials. Also, one cannot play a roleplaying game, without a character.... so, it can either be provided, or, see below:

Quote:
Quote:
And if I'm wrong, then Monopoly should be published without any game pieces since people can provide their own miniatures.

Exactly the principle of Cheap Ass Games. You're being charged for those things that you do not need. You could use a penny, a dime, and a nickel, if you wanted, or a piece of paper saying "Joe." The "miniatures" are simply placeholders. Anything can be substituted.

Now, a RPG, by its nature, involves the player, which means, they should be the ones actively participating. Their major contribution is, well, their characters. If these are already provided, you've eliminated a major function of the player, essentially giving them a "placeholder." One in which the player is supposed to, by the very nature of the game, select and create.

Monopoly and a RPG are not the same.

However, don't get me wrong. I like pre-gens, sometimes. I just don't think every module needs them. Some, like tourney modules, are a must, but the average module? Not really.

Wed May 10, 2006 1:29 am
Lore Drake

Simply put, if I game with someone who plays an entertaining character... fine, play them all you want, time after time if you like, for as long as you and other people enjoy it. For those who have trouble coming up with an entertaining personality, here's a pregen....give it a shot and see how it pans out. If it works out well, keep playing it all you want. And if you wanna try something new, more power to ya whether its a pregen or otherwise. Your choice, really...so long as the home brewed characters aren't power mongers. Those belong on the Diablo II MMO site.

As for me, give me a different character every time - personality, background and all. I'm cool with that. Been DMing 25 years...pretty much the same thing. I play some characters more than once, and sometimes I make new ones, and sometimes I use pregens. As they say, variety is the spice of life. If you don't like them, take 'em or leave 'em for your own campaign. To each his own, but some of us expect to see pregens in modules or we wonder if we lost a few pages.

Purely from a business perspective, since some people like pregens, excluding a significant portion of the target marketing demographic segment equates to lower sales which leads to lower profit margins. After 25 years, RPG players are still a divided lot. Best to give them ALL what they want.

Brian Miller

Wed May 10, 2006 5:37 am
Lore Drake

Nuts, I was gonna play Star Wars Monopoly tonight...but I can't role-play Darth Vader since someone made off with my miniature!

"(Heavy breathing)...Luke...I am your realtor. Give in to the left side. I have space hotels all the way to free parking."

Heh, heh...Dude, all games are RPGs to me.
Brian Miller

Wed May 10, 2006 6:45 am
Unkbartig

Good points.... One of my fave characters of AD&D was a pregen out of a module (1: Secret of Bone Hill I think); a half elf Mu/Thief with a real attitude. Good times!

I wonder if Verdant Rage is too far along to add in some last minute pregens...?

Wed May 10, 2006 4:30 pm
Lore Drake

Here's a humorous one with attitude that I just quickly converted for the con. The others are similarly goofy in one way or another, but I don't want to give too much away.

Manfrid Magus

Male Albino Human Wizard Level 7

primes (int, dex)

BtH +2

STR 11

INT 17

WIS 10

DEX 12

CON 15 +1 hit points per level

CHR 1 3 +1 reaction

AC (adjusted): 14

Hit Points: 29

#Attacks: 1

Alignment: true neutral

Usable weapon types: staff, dagger

Languages: common, elf, halfling, orc

Spells:

Standard spells per day: 5 zero level, 4 first, 3 second, 2 third, 1 fourth

Bonus spells due to intelligence: 1 first, 1 second

Bonus spells you can cast per day due to magic items: recall 1 third level spell previously selected and used

Extra spells in your spell book (gained with experience): 1 third, 1 fourth

Total spells in your spell book:

0th level (5): arcane mark, dancing lights, detect magic, endure elements, light

1st level (5): identify, read magic, reversed extinguish burning hands, spider climb, unseen servent

2nd level (4): darkness, see invisibility, knock, reversed extinguish pyrotechnics

3rd level (3, but can only cast 2): dispel magic, reversed extinguish explosive runes, reversed extinguish fireball

4th level (2, but can only cast 1): reversed extinguish fire shield, reversed extinguish wall of fire

Magic Items:

staff +2

bracers of defense AC 14

pearl of power (third level spell)

Appearance:

height: 6' 2"

weight: 190 pounds

hair: white

eyes: red

BACKGROUND:

You love fire because its really cool to look at. When you were twelve, you watched a big tree burn to the ground. No one ever proved you did it. When you were sixteen, you watched a shed burn to the ground. Everyone knew you started it. Instead of going to jail, you were sentenced to 1000 hours of public service working for the local wizard who specialized in magically extinguishing fires. He was supposed to train you to be a magical fireman, but watching him put out burning buildings just gave you a chance to see a lot of really cool fires. He taught you his anti-fire spells, but you only learned to cast them backwards so they create fires instead! Now your spell book almost exclusively contains reversed anti-fire related spells.

Fire is the natural enemy of monsters. You went burn happy the last time you were struck and harmed by a band of nasty creatures. There were so many fires it was almost too much fun to handle. Burning monsters tend to run around a lot before they fall over dead. You find that strangely humorous.

People say that youre too quick to cast fireballs. You insist that you dont even have that spell or any other fire-based spells. You always have to remind them that youre a professionally trained fireman who only has anti-fire spells. You should make sure everyone looks the other way whenever you start a fire from now on. That would give you plausible deniability.

Brian Miller

Wed May 10, 2006 5:31 pm
Ulthal

Barbarian

6th level

S 14

D 11

Con 15

Int 14

Wis 10

Cha 13

HP 47

Primes: Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom

Knut is a member of the Skiri clan under the Falcon Moon. In his youth, Knut's father took him far afield to trade in goods half way across the world. Far from home, Knut's father made a home in a great city and set about educating his son, hoping that Knut would one day become a great tradesman and gain citizenship in that city. It was not to happen.

In the many wars ravaging that land, Knut was conscritped into the local militia and sent to war. This was to Knut's satisfaction. The call of his homeland and his people was great. He was old enough to recall tales of great warriors and magnificant feats of arm. In battle, Knut excelled.

He was quickly offered a post in the elite City Guard.

more later

Wed May 10, 2006 7:52 pm
Lore Drake

King Clodius

7th Level Male Human Barbarian

S 17 +2

I 9

W 12

D 14 +1

C 1 3 +1 hp/level

Ch 8

hp 61

ac 17

alignment: LN

Items:

+2 tribal furs (ac 16) with warpaint and feathers

Crude iron waraxe +2 with rabbit fur covered handle.
Background

King Clodius roams the barbarian kingdoms, travelling from clan to clan, defeating the tribal leaders to assume leadership. Unfortunately, every time he leaves one tribe to go conquer another, his position is ursurped while he's gone, so by the time he eventually returns, he has to issue yet another challenge.

It was thus, that King Clodius, having defeated the leaders of 20 different tribes issued a threat to invade the civilized regions. Unfortunately, when it came time to mobilize his army, he discovered that, being nomadic in nature, they'd all wandered off to follow their food source during the migration season. After that, he became known as "the armiless king who threatened to conquer the world".

Clodius will never cross a river during high water periods because it's said to be a bad omen, nor will he touch the skull of a dead animal. His tribal form of currency is black disk-shaped stones with sharp edges (non-metallic). He carries a full bag of stones with him as gifts for each tribe he visits. Gold coins and gems mean nothing to Clodius since shiny stuff is for children.

Clodius prefers to speak by his actions and hold his tongue unless hard-pressed to answer a question. Most of the time he lets women and weaker men do all the talking. He's aware that his presence is far more intimidating when people don't know what he's thinking, and he only speaks a spattering of the civilized tongue so half the time he doesn't have a clue what's being said anyway. Even so, he's somewhat empathic in his ability to effectively read body language.

Clodius will immediately attack anyone who threatens or tries to otherwise verbally manipulate him. He'd rather die in a fight than give in to intimidation of any kind. Words are weak. Iron is stronger.

Brian Miller

Thu May 11, 2006 3:50 pm
Lore Drake

I didn't put pregens in "Fingers" because that would have taken yet another page away from me that I needed for adventure meat. I edited that thing to the bone as it is - one more page would have been pretty difficult.

Pregens are a luxury, in my opinion - nice if you have the room, but the first thing tossed if space is tight.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back

Thu May 11, 2006 4:16 pm
Ulthal

I am going to run fingers Fiff, nice work. It looks like a dousy.

Thu May 11, 2006 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

Combat_Kyle wrote:
I am going to run fingers Fiff, nice work. It looks like a dousy.

It's responsible for many fatalities.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking the concept of pregens. I love them. If I had room for them in Fingers, I would have included some. My point was that sometimes priorities of space come into play.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back

Thu May 11, 2006 5:01 pm
Lore Drake

I know most gamers don't like their modules to be a whole book, but a page or two for pregens doesn't seem like that big of an issue.

Who is imposing these page limitations and why? Is it to stay in a certain price range with the printers? Otherwise, what are the conditions that determine the limits? Product price versus cost of production? Is there a formula at work here?

It would be an interesting experiment to publish the same module both with and without pregens (say offering both on RPGnow) to see if it does or doesn't effect total sales. I'm not sure if that's been tried before but it might be worth investigating.

Just curious and a bit confused.

Brian Miller

Thu May 11, 2006 5:33 pm
Red Cap

miller6 wrote:
I know most gamers don't like their modules to be a whole book, but a page or two for pregens doesn't seem like that big of an issue.

Who is imposing these page limitations and why? Is it to stay in a certain price range with the printers? Otherwise, what are the conditions that determine the limits? Product price versus cost of production? Is there a formula at work here?

The publisher determines the page limitations. I would guess that these are really dictated by printing costs, though.

If a supplement is too large for, say, a 32-page booklet, then it might need to be cut down or beefed up so that it can be 48 pages. The reason for this is that printers generally use 16-page signatures and it costs more to use different-sized signatures (4 or 8 pages).

Thu May 11, 2006 5:41 pm
Lore Drake

That's pretty much along the lines of what I figured.

Of course, you could always post the pregens online and stick a single line in the module that gives the IP. Would work as a short term solution.

Or...publish a rogues gallery with pregens for a bunch of modules and in it indicate which module the pregens are meant to be used for.

Brian Miller

Thu May 11, 2006 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next