I really like the hand-drawn maps in the modules!

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

I really like the hand-drawn maps in the modules!

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Well, since we got a new forum, I thought this would be a good time to express how much I really like the hand-drawn maps of the communities and dungeons in the modules. For me, they have the feel of a homebrewer sketching out their world with just a pencil. Even the greyscale "coloring" has a retro feel that adds to the flavor of the setting. My favorite drawing is Botkinburg with keep rising above the town on p. 3 of Assault on Blacktooth Ridge. I wonder if any of you Trolls have thought about creating a tile set for all those map making programs with Castles & Crusades art? Of course, I know you all don't have enough to do presently.
Anyway, I like the cartography!

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I must concur, they have an appearence of medieval cartography.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

I like the maps also - i drew them I did not draw the pic on pg 3 of assault though, that was Daniele Bigliardo (an Italien artists). I love this style. it is very evocotive of the mood I would like to impart.

Overall though, the maps - as drawn in Assault - have not been very well received. This is perhaps the case not because of the style, rather the capacity of the artist (me) to carry through with the style properly or as expertly as should be the case.

We are still working out how we want the final versions of our maps to look. A version that both reflects our deisres and the general desires of players.

Thanks.

Davis

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

The maps look fine. All a person really needs is a general idea of what the area looks like.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

I agree, the maps are just fine. More cool Davis maps please!

Who cares what other folk might think (reviewers?). The folks that like them OWN every C&C item!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Sorry Cleave, not a fan of the maps myself, but I love the mod!

.......................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I think the maps and cartography are very good in Assault and Slag Heap, and the interior artwork is superb!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If the cartography is better than mine, which, hell, how could it not be, its all good for me. I like to change the maps, anyway, and add stuff, or remove stuff.... so, having one thats hand-drawn just makes it easier... cause it doesn't have that "perfection" quality, and really evokes the sense of "hey, this is something you'd have found if it were a real place." I like that.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Quote:
This is perhaps the case not because of the style, rather the capacity of the artist (me) to carry through with the style properly or as expertly as should be the case.

Nah, they're perfectly fine.

The maps give C&C it's own distinct feel.

It's TLG's signature IMO.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have had no problem with the maps myself, but I would have guessed others would have problems. As long as a map clearly tells me what I need to know I am happy.

the only thing that bugs me is figuring out how the Red Caps got those wagons into their hide out across a river and through the narrow trail leading up to the front door of the Virgolg. I can see how they got them from the front door to area 8.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Nym

Post by Nym »

Treebore wrote:
the only thing that bugs me is figuring out how the Red Caps got those wagons into their hide out across a river and through the narrow trail leading up to the front door of the Virgolg. I can see how they got them from the front door to area 8.

That's kinda funny because I wondered the same thing. Just chalked it up to, "eh, that's just how it is" and figured I'd come up with an explanation if the need arose.

In general, I like more detail (or maybe I just mean scale?) in a map of a town or above ground area, but that's just me. I thought the dungeon maps in AoBR were fine.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Nym wrote:
That's kinda funny because I wondered the same thing. Just chalked it up to, "eh, that's just how it is" and figured I'd come up with an explanation if the need arose.

Hehe, what's the problem? It was a narrow defile! That means it was a half inch wider than the cart on each side!

Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

Quote:

Magic

srsly

Steve has these wizards whose basic job is to accompaany fishermen and freeze their catch so it is fresh upon returning to shore. Its a whole class of wizrds in Aihrde.

The Red Caps have a unique manner of carrying booty. I mean, they are just goblins raiding several hundred miles south and they carry a lot back with them.

Steve may give out the info, but I want to await firther releases to surprise players.

davis

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

And here I was figuring they laid down a temporary plank road and bridge of somekind to ease the crossing of the river and to maximize the use of the full width of the 10 to 20 foot wide defile leading up to the door.

Should have known it was magic!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

See, what they do, really, is they erect giant stone circles, and then build pyramids to hold those, and then, they enter the ring, pray at the altar, and these nifty totem-like face statues rise out of the water, and they shove the goods in them, through the mouth, and they sink, taking the loot where its needed, like nifty magic boats. Then the red caps disassemble the stone rings (sometimes they forget, but this is very rare), and leave the pyramids, just in case they need to use them again. Hehe.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I liked the town map in Assault, that worked just fine, now the area map left a lot to be desired IMHO. I like the area maps(CKs version anyway) to be detailed.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: I really like the hand-drawn maps in the modules!

Post by Kayolan »

I know there's been a push for more technically detailed and computer-designed maps, but I do like the hand-drawn maps better, they evoke the feel of the setting and spark the imagination in a way that a full color digital art-style map can't.