Blacktooth Ridge- how are they??

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Blacktooth Ridge- how are they??

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Well there are 3 Blacktooth Ridge books now. How are they?? Anyone run these adventures??
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Each module does a good job giving really useful and cool setting information. The adventure parts can be challenging and often quite deadly, even though they are low level monsters. The only criticism that I have heard about them is that the dungeons are kind of small (though that's not a problem for me)

I really like them. They just don't come out fast enough for me.

Oh yeah, you might want to start with the free download adventure, Rising Knight which gets the pcs into the area.

John Adams

Kos
Hlobane Orc

Post by Kos »

I only have The Rising Knight, and Assault on Blacktooth Ridge, so I don't know about the rest. Assault on Blacktooth Ridge is a great 1st level

adventure, lots of good stuff packed in to just 24 pages.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

I didn't use The Rising Knight, but moved my group through my own intro to get them into Botkinburg...

The module ran great.... one of the best and most open to adaptation to individual campaigns.... I ended splintering a new group called the "Black Caps" and interjecting competing evil forces into the area as well.

I won't use the "return to" supplements as my PCs have helped rearrange the local dynamics in quite a different way, so when they finally return to the area (they've been off south on the seas a bit and in and around Ascalon) they're more likely to move pretty directly toward the Slag Heap and Ludensheim.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There are 4, and A1 is the best of them. Slag Heap is probably the weakest fo them all, but mostly because its confusing how to get into the Heap, and then its a dry dungeon unless you get the PC's to interact with some fo the NPC's.

Overall a very good series that greatly details a small area.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

IMHO they are top notch, some better than others, but as a whole they are very, very good.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Treebore wrote:
There are 4, and A1 is the best of them. Slag Heap is probably the weakest fo them all, but mostly because its confusing how to get into the Heap, and then its a dry dungeon unless you get the PC's to interact with some fo the NPC's.

Overall a very good series that greatly details a small area.

Slag Heap is great as building material, but I agree it works best when you customize and use it within a larger campaign.

A3 Wicked Cauldron is my least fav so far, but I think I like the newest (Usurpers of Fell Axe) as much as any.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I'll say that Assault on Blacktooth Ridge is one of the best modules I own and ranks up there with some of the best TSR modules from back when.

It's opened ended with lots of adventuring, fun, mystery, politics, dungeons, role playing opportunities and much more. It can also be run tightly if you wished to "railroad" slightly.

I use Botkinburg and Yggsburgh as our base of operations and I've surround the area with other modules both old and new.

You can easily put Keep on the Borderlands and Quesqueton nearby.

I found The Rising Knight to be an excellent intro and lead in to AoBtR.

I've also run Slag Heap and The Wizening Branch from the Return to Blacktooth Ridge PDF. Both excellent.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

I printed out & read thru the free adventure "Rising Knight". Ehhhh.....it was mediocre. Nothing exciting. They have some stiff competition from Goodman Games-Dungeon Crawl Clasics.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Hybban

Post by Hybban »

I'm playing a mix of A0-A1 for the introduction of my campaign. All the characters have grown up in Botkinburg and I've used the 'Shearing ceremony' from the Duchy of Karameikos to get them together as rag-tag band of wannabe adventurers.

And to put themin the mood, I used the first encounter of the 1st Rise of the Runelord module from Paizo. The Goblins attacking the village during the Shearing celebration is just great.

I really like the amount of information there is in the A-serie modules. Boitkinburg is a really nice place to begin a story.

Hyb'

dkeester
Ungern

Post by dkeester »

I started my group on A0 and am going to run A1 for them next. We had a blast with it. Rising Knight was just plain fun, so I am looking forward to how they handle Blacktooh Ridge.