View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
What modules are good for a convention? 
Hlobane Orc

Post What modules are good for a convention?
So around the beginning of October I will be going to Necronomicon in Tampa, Florida and I am thinking of running a C&C game. I have already GMed, Shadows of Halfling Hall, Rising Knight and The Mysterious Tower. I am not sure if they would work because they took longer than six hours to run them with my regular, but then my regular gaming group isn't under a time constraint, so I might use one of them.

Can you suggest any modules I haven't tried?

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:30 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Post Re: What modules are good for a convention?
Quote:
old school gamer wrote:
So around the beginning of October I will be going to Necronomicon in Tampa, Florida and I am thinking of running a C&C game. I have already GMed, Shadows of Halfling Hall, Rising Knight and The Mysterious Tower. I am not sure if they would work because they took longer than six hours to run them with my regular, but then my regular gaming group isn't under a time constraint, so I might use one of them.

Can you suggest any modules I haven't tried?

Hmm, so 6 hours or so is the limit? I wonder if you could chop/alter/re-arrange Rising Knight to fit it into this timeframe. To me, the dungeon was wide open for customizing.
Start at the Bent Hook, travel to temple (some encounters to get the PCs into the game/mechanics, etc) and then into the dungeon. Which you can tailor for your CON game.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:27 pm
Battle Stag

Beacon of Enon Tor, while not official TLG, is a very basic C&C adventure. Mostly likely the PCs will get through it in under 6 hours. There is a lot more a CK can add to Beacon of Enon Tor to stretch it out too.

That's my suggestion.
http://tower.newcenturycomputers.net/temp/beacon.pdf

........................................Omote

FPQ

Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Red Cap

You could do Palace of Shadows pretty easily. I just let the party fight the dragon, choose 2 of the areas to go to, fast-forwarded that they got the other keys without going into detail as to how, and then had them move on to face the wizard.

Running the module in its entirity would be too long, but since the Palace is sectioned into various demi-planes, it is easy to just skip a few.

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:24 am
Unkbartig

I have been seriously pondering running a C&C game for next GenCon; I would like an official word on the module they would like to see run. Alternatively, I am pondering writing my own C&C module specificly for this event, since it is best to keep it a four hour session. Then you can run it at least twice in one day and spread the gospel of C&C to more folks that way.

Most of us know that convention modules have a different feel and approach than campaign style modules. Con modules typically have less character development and story development due to such strict time constraints, and can end up a mindless dungeon crawl if you let it. My thing is I love story driven adventure, incredibly detailed character and npc development, and epic tales that require months or even years of role playing to finish....
One of my favorite series is the I series. Vahkund: Into the Unknown is fun, but perhaps starts too slowly for a convention game. I think we need input from some veteran CK's who have run pretty much everything. What do you say guys? Share your profound wisdom.......

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]