Adventure conversions...

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Adventure conversions...

Post by slimykuotoan »

I thought this'd be a nice spot where we could list D&D modules -or other gaming system adventures- that we've successfully converted to C&C.

Feel free to talk about up in coming projects, past conversions, pitfalls, recomendations, and etcetera.

As a newbee, I plan to convert a TSR Conan Module (Conan Unchained),

the Desert of Desolation series and -if my foray to a neighbouring city on Monday pans out- the Saltmarsh modules...

And thou?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

None. I have no use for a module, other than ripping out the parts that are good for what I need at the moment. Otherwise, you might want to look at the "master list" which is being compiled... assuming the conversion is made available to those who'd want it.

That link is here.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm not much of a published module guy either (although I do like the haunted Highland series very much). But back on the topic of conversions, the only "conversion" that I've played with is Keep on the Borderlands and Little Keep on the borderlands (HM). Although, I pretty much did this stuff on the fly.

...............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

A recent adventure mod I used is UK5, "Eye of the Serpent". I am pretty much converting on the fly, though, as all I have to change is AC and movement. The rest is pretty much the same.

That said, I don't like the mod, but it might be me. The first addy of the campaign I used was "Beacon of Enon Tor" -- converted and available on Dragonsfoot.com. Great mod. UK5 for some reason drags and isn't as much fun as I thought it would be.
I'll be making up for it with something else later.

As my time is severely limited, I am a module user. I am thinking of using B4, The Lost City, next. But I am not sure.

For a different group, I recently used "The Wine Harvest" mini-mod from the 2e City of Greyhawk box set and that, too, was converted on the fly.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I tend to convert on teh fly as well. I am going to be running Keep on the Borderlands soon and Ravenloft later. As well there are various classic Judges guild stuff that I will convert over as needed.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Price of Courage, a 361 page monster of a Module for d20 Dragonlance. I converted it a chapter at a time and my group had a blast playing it utilizing C&C.

Currently I'm running the 2nd Edition Return to the Tomb of Horrors, but it's similar enough that I convert as we play.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Most of my conversions have been on the fly as well, with earlier edition flipping the AC and choosing primes are all that is really required. With 3E an adjustment in HPs is highly recomended,

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I too only use modules as good idea fodder. Unless I'm just doing a 1 or 2 shot game, I normally use a mix of home brew & published world books.

I'm still fairly new at C&C but the more I see the easier it is to convert on the fly.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

DangerDwarf wrote:
Price of Courage, a 361 page monster of a Module for d20 Dragonlance. I converted it a chapter at a time and my group had a blast playing it utilizing C&C.

I just picked up this MONSTER of an adventure. While I'm not going to run it for C&C, it is a really sweet, sweet phonebook of an adventure.
.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

re:

Post by slimykuotoan »

I'm finding old modules from a variety of sources, and am trying to find a good adventure path to take my group of players through (starting at first level).

Some possibilities include:

The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Slave Pits Of The Undercity

Castle Caldwell and Beyond

Night's Dark Terror -this one's pretty darn cool
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Omote wrote:
I just picked up this MONSTER of an adventure. While I'm not going to run it for C&C, it is a really sweet, sweet phonebook of an adventure.
.........................................Omote

FPQ

Yeah, I hope you enjoy it.

The Age of Mortals campaign (Key of Destiny, Spectre of Sorrows, Price of Courage) easily ranks up there as one of the best adventure paths of all time in my opinion. Full of epic adventurey goodness!

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: re:

Post by Treebore »

slimykuotoan wrote:
I'm finding old modules from a variety of sources, and am trying to find a good adventure path to take my group of players through (starting at first level).

Some possibilities include:

The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Slave Pits Of The Undercity

Castle Caldwell and Beyond

Night's Dark Terror -this one's pretty darn cool

I found Temple of Tharizdun boring and too, um, doomy? Thats because I am the type that if the players failed I would have been obligated to have the consequences occur. I wasn't willing to go there. Plus I found the module too predictable. There were things I would do differently if I were to run ti again to make it better for me, since that was over fifteen year ago I can't remember what they were. So I can't suggest them to you.

The other three all ran very well. Castle Caldwell took on a life of its own for my group, and I love it when that happens. Night's Dark Terror did as well, but eneded when the module ended. Unlike Caldwell, which factored in at various times for the rest of the campaign.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Treebore wrote:
I found Temple of Tharizdun boring and too, um, doomy...[the] other three all ran very well. Castle Caldwell took on a life of its own for my group, and I love it when that happens. Night's Dark Terror did as well, but eneded when the module ended. Unlike Caldwell, which factored in at various times for the rest of the campaign.

That's 'hugely' helpful; thanks again Treebore.

I've been leaning towards starting with Caldwell -until 2nd level or so- then beginning Night's Dark Terror...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

slimykuotoan wrote:
That's 'hugely' helpful; thanks again Treebore.

I've been leaning towards starting with Caldwell -until 2nd level or so- then beginning Night's Dark Terror...

If I were to use them again (and thanks to you I am thinking about it) That is how I would start it off. Caldwell leading into Night's.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Treebore wrote:
[I found Temple of Tharizdun boring and too, um, doomy? Thats because I am the type that if the players failed I would have been obligated to have the consequences occur.

I love this module, even if it is a bit dated. There are lots of "doomy" parts to be sure, but the module does not implicitly spell out any bad things should the PCs get through to the "ultimate" end of the dungeon. You could merely have nothing happen at all, or the first part in an ultra series of bad Big T adventures. Temple of Tharizdun is a great location/dungeon adventure that players will remember for a long time, and that is if you play up the doomy parts.
.................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

I thought that Tharizdun was a great module, the only thing I did'nt understand is I thought Tharizdun was trapped in the Temple and since the party was going through all those rituals he would be released. Also I believe that there was reference to a Part II but I guess nothing became of that.

IMP

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

ChaosImp wrote:
I thought that Tharizdun was a great module, the only thing I did'nt understand is I thought Tharizdun was trapped in the Temple and since the party was going through all those rituals he would be released. Also I believe that there was reference to a Part II but I guess nothing became of that.

Nah, it does certainly seem that way, but the way the module is presented... "nothing" happens. However, if there was a sequel planned the FToT mod would seem to go right along with being the 1st part of an epic UNLEASH THE BIG-T series.

The Gord's Greyhawk site has the process (in part anways) on what is actually involved with releasing the beast. Apparently that information is contained within the Gord series of novels, and notes from... whom ever. Don't know if any of that is accurate though.

...........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

mrswing
Skobbit

Post by mrswing »

DangerDwarf wrote:

May I ask how you did this? Did you follow Grey-elf's methods, or a different one? I'm especially keen on knowing how you treated all the multi-classed/templated/prc'ed high level NPCs. I love the module and its predecessors but it looks like a very difficult project to convert...

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

mrswing wrote:
May I ask how you did this? Did you follow Grey-elf's methods, or a different one? I'm especially keen on knowing how you treated all the multi-classed/templated/prc'ed high level NPCs. I love the module and its predecessors but it looks like a very difficult project to convert...

Convert the NPC's as entries in M&T. Instead of giving them C&C classes, just make strait-up "monster" entries for them, giving them abilities resembling their PoC d20 counterparts.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

With the size of the PoC module, I have to imagine that much of it was converted "on the fly." It just seems so vast a module that a true conversion would be beyond possible. But hey, I could be wrong. What did you do DD?

.............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

mrswing
Skobbit

Post by mrswing »

Did you keep HP, To hit bonuses etc. as written in the module, or did you adapt them to C&C? And what did you do about feats - just ignore them or only use those which might logically come into play?

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Omote wrote:
With the size of the PoC module, I have to imagine that much of it was converted "on the fly." It just seems so vast a module that a true conversion would be beyond possible. But hey, I could be wrong. What did you do DD?

.............................................Omote

FPQ

My group usually plays twice a week. Every week, leading up to our game days, I would convert what was going to be used for the upcoming sessions. It didn't take can more time than my usual prep time when I was utilizing d20 .

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

mrswing wrote:
Did you keep HP, To hit bonuses etc. as written in the module, or did you adapt them to C&C? And what did you do about feats - just ignore them or only use those which might logically come into play?

I adapted completely to C&C. Feats I ignored, my players don't use them and neither do the NPC's. If you want to try something that in d20 would be "feat-worthy" then try it utilizing the SIEGE mechanics, same applies with NPC's.

Most "fodder" type npc's received very basic conversions. Important NPC's got bigger write ups as M&T entries, complete with special abilities should it be applicable.