Fire in the Hole

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Fire in the Hole

Post by Buttmonkey »

I released my first C&C module on DriveThruRPG this week. Priced at $1.00, I should be able to retire any day now. The entire module is visible in the free preview, so you can check it out before deciding whether it's worth your copper pieces. Please check it out!

Fire in the Hole
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: Fire in the Hole

Post by Persimmon »

Start those retirement plans; I just bought a copy.

As it turns out, we decided to continue with our old C&C characters for awhile as I haven't written anything for my new campaign yet. As the PCs are all around 5th level, we were just going to run through the old Slave Lords series. But this is a good starting point, as it's nice and short and will let us all get back into the swing of C&C mechanics after a couple years of Labyrinth Lord & OSE. Then we'll tackle the slave lords.

Congrats on getting this out. I've thought of putting something out for years but still haven't done it....Is it pretty easy to publish through Drive Thru?
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Derek, great job on this module ~ I really liked it. Good selection of monsters ( and your new ones are fantastic)!

The lesser "deck" is a great idea - because, of course ~ the deck of many things is or can be . . horrific!!!

Methinks it wouldn't be hard to scale the level challenge down to adjust for lesser adventuring parties.

Anyway, well done!

:-D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: Fire in the Hole--Spoilers

Post by Persimmon »

We ran through this last night. Good length; we finished in around 3 hours. It was a great night for the players. They have a number of stealthy types, augmented by some magical items so they were able to creep through the complex, eliminating the threats systematically. Few of the combats lasted longer than a couple rounds. And they have a fair degree of magic and magic items that they used to very good effect. A wand of paralyzation is pretty devastating for low level foes, especially augmented by a 5th level caster. And their rolls were amazing. They never got critted by the monsters, but inflicted several crits and had only 1 fumble all night.

The boss fight around the pit was probably the highlight, with the hellhounds rushing in and the salamanders climbing out of the pit. The tavis wyrm arrived so late that they wiped him out without incident. Ironically, they didn't find the secret doors leading to the treasure cache with the Deck of Several Things so it's still there if I want to bring it back somehow down the road with another villain.

Fun stuff....
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I've sold 7 copies, so I'm kind of a big deal now. ;-)

I'm thrilled people have been enjoying it. I've run it twice and both parties failed to exercise proper caution at the beginning, leading to a massive encounter right off the bat.

I enjoyed designing it, running it, and publishing it, but reading the comments here was more fun than the rest put together.

Publishing on DriveThruRPG is very easy if you don't intend to put out hard copies, don't use art, and aren't worried about a professional layout. For FitH, I created it in Word using a 2 column format (for the most part), then saved it as a PDF. I had to change my DriveThru account to be a publisher which mostly meant creating a PayPal account and linking it to my DriveThru account. Uploading the PDF wasn't too tricky, although the interface is slightly clunky. During your first 30 days as a publisher, an account representative for DriveThru has to approve your documents before they are available for sale, so I had to wait a few days before it was listed.

I'd encourage anyone who ever thought about publishing a module to give it a shot. My expectations aren't huge. I'm thrilled to have sold 7 copies and gotten two great reviews here. I don't expect to make any kind of significant money doing this. It is mostly a creative outlet. Plus, I get to enjoy the fact that I am now a professional game designer. That's kind of cool. I had been thinking about publishing this module since I ran it at Gary Con a few years ago and kept putting it off. I'm really glad I forced myself to do it.

Now, I'm working on a new gonzo module involving intelligent octopi. It's going to have lots of super science and sorcery a la Thundarr the Barbarian.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Count me in as #8!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

maximus wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:13 pm
Count me in as #8!
Thanks, Max! Let me know what you think of it (even if it's negative -- I can always use constructive criticism and non-constructive criticism will at least help keep my raging ego in check).

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

If he is 8 then I'm 9
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

And that would make me 10. 8-)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Thanks, guys! I was up to 11 sales as of end of March. It seems a little weird to be excited by such a small number of sales, but my goals are modest.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I received a very good review from Melan/Gabor Lux. I got 3 more sales in the immediate aftermath! Woot! I'm about to make this industry my beotch.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

When you do, don't forget us little common plebs around here :mrgreen:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Lurker wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:31 pm
When you do, don't forget us little common plebs around here :mrgreen:
I can't forget you guys/gals. I need your $0.65!

Please be sure to download the updated files. I cleaned up the layout and massively upgraded the maps.