A0 Rising Knight

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

A0 Rising Knight

Post by Snoring Rock »

I decided to post this here, but it seems like this area does not have a whole lot of traffic. Here goes....

I am finally starting a campaign in Aihrde and I am starting with the Umbrage Saga. So 1st level players in A0 Rising Knight. Has anyone run this module? If so, how did it go? Is there anything you would add to it or leave out? I have read most of it, and the background is very good. A lot more fluff than crunch here for sure. On a scale of 1 to 10, what did your players think? Did they run the story line or derail?

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: A0 Rising Knight

Post by DMMike »

About the only problem I had with A0 is getting the PC's a connection to the elderly knight. Other than that, it worked pretty well.

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've only ran A1 onward. I ran a kind of pre published version of A0. They had fun with it, and I had no problem with keeping them willing to go along with the story.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

Be sure to bring a cleric.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Yes, old-school requires a cleric.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

If A1 Assault on Blacktooth Ridge is next, you may want to read through that.
1) Print the PDF because the map is in the middle of the book (i.e., print the map)
2) The names and history are involved.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

DMMike wrote:About the only problem I had with A0 is getting the PC's a connection to the elderly knight. Other than that, it worked pretty well.

Mike
There's kind of no reason for the PCs to talk to the townspeople, but they are the only link to the adventure areas. I had to persuade the PCs to spend a little time getting to know everybody and their rumors and comings and goings. If they don't do that. then it's either teleport them to where they want to go through weak hooks "Hey, didja hear about the fairy mound?" or get them to walk around for weeks hoping to bump into things.

I think I was too nice with the Knight... the players didn't really earn it.

For a group used to hexcrawl sandboxes, it's all peachy, but if they just want a ride to Baleon Nakt it can be frustrating for them.

There's a certain room in Baleon Nakt that can be a challenge for some groups because of sheer numbers and low starting HP.

I ended up making a list of places and events in the module and who knows about them so if the PCs did end up talking to someone I didn't miss my chance to set the hook.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

wasgreg
Skobbit

Post by wasgreg »

Went well. I thought my players would for certain create a henchmen out of Klint the Leper. However, they paid him well and discharged him of services after weeks of exploration and interactions. There was zero interaction with Madith or Gwion. I kind of blame it on myself though. For Ifon Picton, I based his voice style after Jeff Bridges. Though, due to the portrait chosen for Grifney the Hat, and his great described personality, I think he was the favorite in town. Ian ended up going into hiding after a series of bad charisma interactions tween him and the party. Drunken RP with horrible dice rolls. That was fun. If I were to do it again, I'd probably gestalt the mean spirited dog breeder into Madith. Would have given my group more reason to interact with Madith and learn more about him. Losing the Mathonwy personality wouldn't have hurt my game in the least. Losing a dog breeding merchant would have.