So beings a new Crusade

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
FTracer
Ungern

So beings a new Crusade

Post by FTracer »

Is there or does anyone have a map of the town of Malforten as well as the local area? I have the map that shows the overland view of it and the surrounding country but not a closeup view. I plan on running C&C for the first time ever in a few weeks so I'm trying to get my prep work in. Which thankfully, there really isn't much to do. It seems like a small town so I could bust out a crude drawing I guess.

So far I plan on running this for my campaign:

The Rising Knight

Assault on Blacktooth Ridge

Blacktooth Uncovered

Back to Blacktooth Ridge

The Haunted Highlands

Looking Stones

I'll probably put The Golden Familiar in there somewhere when I get my CK Screen in the mail. I was going with these so far because I bought them from Rpgnow.

I've also got the Codex of Erde on it's way because I wanted a backstory for the game and to let player's know which deities they can pick from for cleric players.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I don't believe I've seen a map of the town proper. Just the area map.

As to your list of adventures, you may want to add Slag Heap and the Wicked Cauldron to it. Both are set in Erde (I refuse to use the new spelling) and are the continuation of RK and AoBTR.

You'll definately love the Codex of Erde. It is one of the best campaign setting books I've ever read.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

FTracer
Ungern

Post by FTracer »

I was thinking about both those actually but I wanted to track down some reviews of them. Are those two directory tied into the storyline?

I was also eyeballing Crater of Umeshi and The Deeper Darkness since they sounded like a Diablo type of game. That is a going back and forth dungeon game.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: So beings a new Crusade

Post by Rhuvein »

FTracer wrote:
Is there or does anyone have a map of the town of Malforten as well as the local area? I have the map that shows the overland view of it and the surrounding country but not a closeup view. I plan on running C&C for the first time ever in a few weeks so I'm trying to get my prep work in. Which thankfully, there really isn't much to do. It seems like a small town so I could bust out a crude drawing I guess.

I started our C&C campaign with The Rising Knight and our group loved it. Since there wasn't a map of Malforten and the surrounding area, I drew one based on the text descriptions of the area and it was a lot of fun to do so. I hope to transfer my drawing to one of these cheap easy to use mapping programs sometime.

Slag Heap and Wicked Cauldron take place in the Blactooth Ridge area and are indeed tied into the storyline, but you don't have to necessarily run them in order (although they have a challenge/player level progression - A2,A3), nor do you have to use them in BtR or Aihrde for that matter.

We've run:

Rising Knight

Assault on Blacktooth Ridge

Shadows of Halfling Hall & The Wizening Branch were run in the middle of AoBtR

And now we're running Dark Chateau.

Next up - on the way back to Blacktooth Ridge from Yggsburgh, our group will enounter a Lion in the Ropes!

And then Slag Heap or Wicked Cauldron.

Also, I'll second Rigon's description of the Codex of Erde!! It's excellent!

Enjoy!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

FTracer
Ungern

Post by FTracer »

I think I might modify The Village of Eastbrook map from WOTC's Map of the Week. Since the player's will be based out of Malforten for awhile I thought it would be handy to have on hand. Plus it's a nice visual reference for them.

Thanks for the advice on the adventures. I'll see how Rising Knight and Assault goes before buying those two. I might do it just to have a certain storyline going on.

I usually don't like DMing due to the keeping track of stuff and prep work but so far it seems like I don't have to do much for C&C. That's what killed Hackmaster for me. I was so set to run it until I reread everything I had to do.

Dristram
Ulthal

Post by Dristram »

I don't know about you guys, but I've never needed maps for small villages and thorps. Usually there are only a few, if any, buildings of importance. Is it really necessary? I find pulling out maps slow down the role-playing and only want to do it when truly necessary.

Now, if the adventure happens IN the village where it's important to know exactly where certain buildings are and their relation to each other, then I find it important to have a map.

I guess my point is, if you don't find a suitable map, don't let that stop you from running the adventure.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Very rarely have I needed maps for hamlets and thorpes, unless some particular battle which uses the terrain would be called for. For important villages and cities though, I usually draw maps out.

.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

FTracer
Ungern

Post by FTracer »

It makes it easier on me in case the pc's roam the village and I know where the npc's might be at. I'll make a legend to the side with their locations.

I could wing it but I usually forget something when I do.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Plus, if aCK has time to draw out maps for a hamlet or such, it usually brings a certain amount of character to the locale. The CK has more time to think about, and plan what the hamlet is like. When the PCs arrive, the place doesn't seem so one-dimensional, as it might of the place wasn't worked out in detail beforehand.

......................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<