Killer Kobold Cave

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

I'm old fashion in that I still like to run from a paper copy even though I'm a computer tech with a networked computer in almost every room of my house (except the kitchen where I run adventures). Ironic, eh?

Anyhow, glad it worked for you.

Brian Miller

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

I am the same way

ken

Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you

Slice N Dice: Game and Pizza Parlour

WWBYD What would Brigham Young do ?
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

The one thing you don't get on a computer...a pencil for a page holder.
Brian Miller

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

This reminds me of something Frank Metzner once talked about at GenCon years and years ago. His players were making disparaging remarks about how kobolds were "nothing" opponents, so he set up a dungeon where the wee 1d4 HP beasties thrashed a party of medium-high level characters.

I took that inspiration and made my own "koboldland" level in one of the mega-dungeons in the campaign; a nasty piece of work with murder holes, flaming oil, spiked pits, and soforth. My players were begging to go fight hill giants after THAT.

I like the module, although I would have liked to see the cave complex larger. And the artwork is just amazing; your daughter and wife do great work.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Glad you like my mini-mod (Killer ogre cave is fun too). Let me know how it runs. I'll pass along the art compliment to Andrea and Laura.
Brian Miller

Ogma
Mist Elf

Post by Ogma »

Is there a way to deselect the parchment background? Printing that will exhaust my ink in seconds flat, methinks (and I have nice parchment paper I can print it on myself).

~Ogma

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have been wondering the same thing. If there isn't maybe you could do like this one company who's pdf's I buy, and Peter Bradley also does art for, they do a printer friendly version as well as the pretty graphics heavy version. the printer friendly verson has everything black and white and all the graphics heavy illustrations removed.

I only like to pay $26.00 for ink as much as I have to.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Emryys

Post by Emryys »

Treebore wrote:
I only like to pay $26.00 for ink as much as I have to.
That's a steal! My laser cartridge costs almost as much as the printer itself!

If you have an inkjet, it usually has 2 cartridges, color and b/w. When I print b/w stuff I physically remove the color cartridge as it still uses ink from the color cartridge for graying, and the b/w one is usually cheaper...

Companies should consider releasing 2 versions in a pdf download. One being edited for home printing... just the text mostly.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Here's the links to the "print friendlier" versions (no parchment background except for the map). Pics are still in color.
http://24.159.235.164:8000/miller6%20we ... iendly.pdf
http://24.159.235.164:8000/miller6%20we ... iendly.zip

Right click and "save as" to your local drive then open them up in acrobat reader to print them.

Grab 'em while you can. I'm not leaving these links posted for long. I was planning to save the print friendly versions for RPGnow (maybe as a compilation of these and the rest of the killer cave series).

Brian Miller

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Thanks Brian! I hope to finish up the Kobold Cave tonight. I'll see about printing this out and see if it goes smoother for me than last time.

Ha! I almost posted this calling you Brain! Say hi to Pinky for me!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm not going to be able to finish tonight. Surprise company coming tomorrow, so we have to make the house "presentable".

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Treebore wrote:
I'm not going to be able to finish tonight. Surprise company coming tomorrow, so we have to make the house "presentable".

Yeah, know how that goes. We got people coming through to upgrade the water meter...which means the kids basement disaster has to be cleaned up here.

Regarding pinky...he's busy helping me take over the gaming world, but on this board we call him "Pug".

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

You telling me you never watched that twisted cartoon series called "Pinky and the Brain"?

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Treebore wrote:
You telling me you never watched that twisted cartoon series called "Pinky and the Brain"?

Ah, you intercepted my rewrite! It hit me write after I clicked . I told you I'm losing it in my old age!

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

And here's the links to the "print friendlier" versions of Killer Ogre Cave (no parchment background except for the map). Pics are still in color.

Right click and "save as" to your local drive then open them up in acrobat reader to print them.

Grab 'em while you can. I'm not leaving these links posted for long. I was planning to save the print friendly versions for RPGnow (maybe as a compilation of these and the rest of the killer cave series).

Brian Miller

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

miller6 wrote:
And here's the links to the "print friendlier" versions of Killer Ogre Cave (no parchment background except for the map). Pics are still in color.

Brian Miller

Do you have one for the killer Kobold Cave?

-George Washington

Ogma
Mist Elf

Post by Ogma »

miller6 wrote:
Here's the links to the "print friendlier" versions (no parchment background except for the map). Pics are still in color.

----------

He posted this yesterday at 2:18pm (one page back...)
And THANK YOU for posting them, btw!!! They're now in my Happy 100% C&C Binder!!!
~Ogma

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Writing modules is a pleasure, and when they're put to good use, well, that's even better.
Brian Miller

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Ogma wrote:
----------

He posted this yesterday at 2:18pm (one page back...)
And THANK YOU for posting them, btw!!! They're now in my Happy 100% C&C Binder!!!
~Ogma

Missed it even the second time through!! Got it on the third time. Thanks!!

-George Washington

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Finished it tonight. Details tomorrow, but no deaths (technically there was, but I let them re-roll the save versus the dragon wagon) and during the last resting period of the party I decided that since they were past all the traps the Kobold leader and Shaman decided that an 8 or more hour lead on this group was a very good advantage to have, so they took their treasures and ran.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Treebore wrote:
during the last resting period of the party I decided that since they were past all the traps the Kobold leader and Shaman decided that an 8 or more hour lead on this group was a very good advantage to have, so they took their treasures and ran.

As they say, live to fight another day...in Killer Kobold Cave - the sequel!
Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Thanks for the positive review, Mike.
Regarding the kobold chieftain, there's an old RPGA tournament guideline that set the main foe's HD at 1.5 times the max level of the dungeon. It's generally a good guideline with exceptions made based on the number of enemies in the final encounter. Killer Kobold Cave was 5-7th level. Going by that standard, I could've made the chieftain as high as 10th or 11th level, but I kept him at 7th since he had a shaman to help him out and the rest of the mod was already a killer. Anyhow, now you know my reasoning.

Generally, I'm a firm believer in making mods difficult and letting the CK tone it down at their discretion...but that's just my personal preference.

For other readers, as always, I welcome comments from anyone concerning this or any of the other Killer Cave Mods.

Brian Miller