Zagyg's Dark Chateau or Monsters & Treasure

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
DaveyB
Red Cap

Zagyg's Dark Chateau or Monsters & Treasure

Post by DaveyB »

What would be more beneficial to purchase? I have Yggsburgh on the way (found it on eBay for $17 including shipping) and there is also Dark Chateau and Monsters & Treasure, well below the listed price. I was going to start our group with Becon at Enon Tor, then segue that into either Dark Chateau using Yggsburgh as a base of operations. I'm thinking of getting both, but would one be more beneficial than the other at the start? I have a copy of the old 2nd edition Monster Manual that I could use and just convert the guys from there, but I figured it would be nice to have the other information included in M&T as well. What do you think?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I would think that you'd get more use out of the M&T in the long run, but as you say you have the 2e MM, you might want to get DC now. You can always get a copy of M&T later (and if you wait long enough, you can get a 2nd printing).

R-

PS. Where abouts in PA are you?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Philotomy Jurament
Ulthal

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

I think I'd get Dark Chateau, if I were you. You can start reading (and modifying adding/to) it right away, and can use your 2E MM, for now. Monsters & Treasure will be there, later.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Philotomy Jurament wrote:
I think I'd get Dark Chateau, if I were you. You can start reading (and modifying adding/to) it right away, and can use your 2E MM, for now. Monsters & Treasure will be there, later.

Agreed. And DC like most, if not all C&C mods, comes with monsters, so you can get by without the M&T for now.

But I will say, that eventually you'll want to pick up the M&T. I like the treasures, magical items, land and titles and poison tables and stats in addition to the excellent monster selection.

Our group is in the middle of DC and enjoying this mod very much.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Hmm... honestly I;d pick up the M&T before all of that other goodness. The M&T obviously gives you the feel and the mechanics to run monstrous bad guys in your games. Plus it's got all of the treasure charts and whatnot. I know you could probably use your old-school stuff in substitution, but I think that the M&T will be a better resource in the long term. Dark Chateau will always be a cheepy product that you could pick up relatively fast at a later point.

But that is just me.

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I'd probably go with the M&T first unless you already have older 1st or 2nd ed AD&D material on hand.

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com