View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Hey Troll Lord Steve, you module author you... 
Mogrl

Post Hey Troll Lord Steve, you module author you...
Couple of things.

First, could you start using poisons that are in the PH or M&T? I don't like having to figure out their value, even though it did force me to figure out the poison creation charts.

Second, *SPOILER*

In Slag Heap why the heck would the Witch Queen leave such an important item with a creature as weak as a drider? Also, talking realistically here, wouldn't the Witch Queen be pissed as hell that one of her 12 mirrors has been destroyed? So wouldn't the W. Queen, realistically, want the PC's brought to her for slow and excruciatingly painful deaths?

Also, don't put big bad evils in a poorly ventilated tunnel complex. My kids and wife are smart enough to realize the value of burning/smoking something out of a hole. That drider didn't have a chance.

Also, how rich do you have the mines/diamonds of Diamondvale being? Also, I decided that there are 76 surviving Gnomes. Other than Ludensheim, where would the nearest gnome population be? I mean a significant and important gnome population. How many could the surviving gnomes probably recruit to come back and rebuild the Diamond Vale?

I am asking how you would rule on this, I obviously reserve the right to change it to my tastes, but how would this go in your Erde?

BTW, Baron Botkin bestowed the banner and name of "The Company of the Winter Wolf" and gave the Knight the lands involved in the Slag Heap module to administer/rule over in the Barons name. The gnomes have already sworn fealty to him and have negotiated that their tithe to him would be their 5 best diamonds found every year.

They didn't mention that the Witch Queens minions never found their "hoard" or main armory. The PC's got a clue after they finished properly interring all of their dead and were dressed in well crafted chainmail and weapons the morning they are to head to Ludensheim.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Thu May 25, 2006 6:17 am
Cleric of Zagyg

Hi Tree . . . just curious, how many PCs in your group's adventuring party and at what levels are they?

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Thu May 25, 2006 9:44 pm
Mogrl

There are 4, and they just all made 5th level after Slag Heap.

They are a Knight, Ranger, Druid, and Thief.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Thu May 25, 2006 10:01 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Treebore wrote:
There are 4, and they just all made 5th level after Slag Heap.

They are a Knight, Ranger, Druid, and Thief.

Wow, so you finished, eh. Man, after reading your post earlier today, I went back to read Slag Heap again. It seems just filled to the brim with material. How long did it take to complete? How did your group like the other encounters?

Thu May 25, 2006 10:06 pm
Mogrl

It took approximately 14 hours, with a lot of roleplaying because they took a lot of the NPC's alive and found out about Mile's claim to the barony, and took the live witnesses of the Baron's duplicity with the Red Caps as well as the Malcontents who knew of Mile's legitimate claim to Ludensheim.

Then they set up a trap for the Baron, etc...

BTW, if your party is 4th level definitely up the HD/class levels of the NPC's. The only thing that came close to taking the party down was the two extra Driders I put in the Barrow of the Black Hole/Pit. If they had managed to get a fireball off the party probably would have died.

If you do add two extra driders I suggest you do what I did and put them in separate rooms. If they had been together I think their spellcasting would have been much more successful, and I would have had a TPK, or party capture.

Also, the Harpies, a Druid with an Entangle spell will kick the Harpies butts. Now the singing did ensnare 3 of the party members, but the Ranger was able to kill 3 of the harpies (I upped the number to 6), including the one that everyone had failed their save against, breaking the charm effect before the PC's could climb up the trees into the entangle area of effect.

I upped the Orcs to 2 HD and the Ungern to 4HD and the main Ungern to 6 HD. The party had drawn the Ungern leader, his 4 ungern bodyguards and the 30 orcs in the clear area between the ridge and where the heaps of trash started. The Knight and Ranger charged. It was a battle that legends get started by. I hit them a few times, but not nearly as often as I should have. The Knight nailed the leader Ungern witha lance charge and the following Ranger finished him off.

The Druid had cast Call Lightning against the orcs and Ungerns they had fought in the Palisade earlier, well her second bolt came up and she blasted the 4 Ungern bodyguards who were trying to get at the Knight. She rolled 36 damage and 3 of the 4 Ungern failed and died outright.

I think I should also mention the Knight did his "deflection" riding ability which upped his AC to a 23 and his horse, in chain barding, to an 18. I did get the Ranger down to 4 HP before the battle was over, though. The Knight was down to 18, but between them and Summon Swarm from the Druid they pretty much mowed down the poor orcs.

Now if the orcs had bows instead of crossbows and had been able to fire every round the party would probably have lost, but firing those crossbows every other round made the difference. Now if you allow crossbows to be fired and reloaded every round you won't have the same situation. I have crossbows require a round to reload, light or heavy.

Anyways, they loved the battles, except my wife because her Rogue is practically useless in such combats, but she was useful down in the Burrows, even took out an Ungern with some paralytic poison she had picked up earlier from one of the Assassin NPC's. She was also able to paralyze the Ungern and then do a coup de grace to keep the party from being aware she used poison. Of course the Druid is the only one who could really even figure it out, and she probably would not care if she did find out.

Anyways, a good module, lots of fighting, and a great amount of roleplay is possible, but if your players tend to kill everything rather than take prisoners, you probably won't have near as much roleplay.

Thu May 25, 2006 10:49 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Hey thanks Tree. Lots of great info. Much appreciated. I've copied the post for future analysis. Our group will most likely head to Yggsburgh next and check out Dark Chateau and then return to the Blacktooth Ridge area for Slag Heap.
What's next for your group?

Fri May 26, 2006 12:53 am
Mogrl

Fri May 26, 2006 5:45 am
Ulthal

Why don't I use listed poisons? I don't know, too lazy to look in the book
I'll fix that.

Spoiler

Now, what next. Ahh the mirror. Well the Witch Queen (mentioned so far and who appears in A3) was instructed by her superior in Festung Akt (who makes an appearnace in A5) to do so. She is not really a "witch queen" either as only a few real witch queens remain - she just has an inflated ego. The mirror is powerful only if several are being used by several individuals at once. The mirror does nothing unless someone is on the receiving end. And who might that be? Who indeed? Several mirrors will make an appearance befor the series is complete. At the end of one is a very very powerful individual (A12) - but not a Witch Queen. Think palantir, if the characters llok through it, one day, they see a face, misty and blurred, dark and menacing and that thing definately wants to talk to the characters - and then kill them.

As for smoking the drider out, thats a good idea - but i probably would not have allowed it, depends on how it went. But hey, smart party members deserve to win!!!

The next largest group of gnomes is in Ludensheim - though it is small 2 dozen or so. They mainly live further south in more civilized lands now.

Diamonds, oh not much, hadn't really thought about it. However, let me give it some thought and I will throw it back at yah.

Baron Botkin is getting some power huh? nice, now you have a war on your hands !!!!

Try to delay your party's arrival at Ludensheim cause we are sending the Wicked Cauldron to Print next Monday. (email me at skobbit2003@yahoo.com)

Another Spoiler

Baron Dietbold is under the influence of eeevil magicians from Festung Akt and will not take kindly to the arrival of any of Baron Baotkin's retainers or men or news of Miles Freland being anything other than a crim-in-im-inal.

So bear that in mind.

davis

Wed May 31, 2006 7:47 am
Mogrl

As I mentioned in my earlier posts they set a trap for the Baron of Ludensheim, The Baron (Botkin) decided to have a formal ceremony to award the party the name "Company of the Winter Wolf" and to enoble the Knight, Sir Berethor Amter, and give him the lands involved in Slaag Heap, and to give public approval and support to Sir Sylva Frompkin to clear and restore the lands of the Frompkin family, around Fromkin Pass.

This was also intended to lure Baron Deitmer to Botkinburg for the ceremony. It did, and of course he requested a private meeting with this influential and powerful upcoming group of people. Baron Botkin graciously offered to host a private party in his personal quaters, and Baron Deitmer accepted.

So during this private party Baron Botkin offered to show off some of the prisoners the "Company of the Winter Wolf" had taken. Baron Deitmer said yes, of course. He could tell a lot by who was alive. What surprised him was when the Red Cap's Ogre Leader and his (Baron Dietmers) personal men were lead out. Then he was stunned when he was made aware that Baron Botkin heard this story from these men and Ogre that Baron Dietmer had been behind the Red Caps activities.

He knew he was in real trouble when Baron Botkin asked him if he would like to vouch for his men, or should they just be sent to the gallows?

Baron Dietmer then evaluated the fact that he only had two bodyguards with him and that Baron Botkin had 5 of his men and his court wizard with him, not to mention the powerful Company of the Winter Wolf. So I had him draw a poisoned dagger and stab himself in the chest. Everyone believes him to be dead.

I guess now I can have him be alive because the poison on the dagger had the effect of emulating feign death. I'll figure something out when I finally see "Cauldron".

Should I still e-mail you?

Wed May 31, 2006 8:41 am
Ulthal

Ludensheim will be in turmoil. You can have it a faked death if your characters would accept it but it can also work without the baron - though you will have to do some leg work on the module. The powers in Ludensheim will be afighting and the characters would walk right into that. The sheepherders guild (very powerful) vs the Heimer family who is backed by the majority of the royal guard and a cabal of wizards but not the city guard.

yeah go ahead and email me.

davis

Wed May 31, 2006 8:55 am
Mogrl

Wed May 31, 2006 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]