What module would you recommend?

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Utgardloki
Mist Elf

What module would you recommend?

Post by Utgardloki »

I'm thinking of starting a C&C campaign, probably at 1st level, and was wondering what modules you'd recommend to start out with. Since there are unique aspects about my campaign, I'm also interested in why you would recommend it.

My plan is to run a campaign in antedeluvian Atlantis, i.e., the kingdom is still dry land in the Age of Sagittarius. It's a bronze age culture without money (that's a challenge). I'm imagining that the PCs are working for one of the Atlantean lords.

I hope to introduce some people to the art of table-top role playing games. I've moved into a new city, so this is a new group I've not played with before. In fact, once I get things organized, I'll have to go out and get a group together.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What module would you recommend?

Post by alcyone »

It sounds like you have ideas for your campaign, so why run off the shelf modules? Especially in the first few games when you want to establish this setting, why not come up with some unique encounters that highlight the world? If you want to adapt modules later, you can.

The problem with an off-the-shelf module for a world with bronze technology and no money isn't the story; most of that can be adapted, but you'll be changing every treasure hoard and npc in the game to outfit them per the setting.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Utgardloki
Mist Elf

Post by Utgardloki »

I find that using off the shelf modules saves me a lot of time. I usually change a lot of things to suit my own campaign anyway, but especially if I have stats for the NPCs and monsters ready to go, that saves a lot of time.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

As Aergraith mentioned, you seem to have some concrete ideas about a campaign world that strays from the standard, pseudo-medieval fare, so finding a pre-published module that fits into that idea is going to be challenging. C&C is an incredibly easy game to stat up monsters and NPCs, so that won't take up too much time.

But, if you're looking for something quick and easy (and free), you could start off with Beacon at Enon Tor. You could change the orcs to whatever creatures would be appropriate for your setting, if needed. Maybe even just rival lord's mercenaries.

Another adventure (not free) that springs to mind is DCC's Tower of the Black Pearl.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I personally hate Beacon at Enon Tor, but lots of other people (e.g., pawndream) recommend it, so maybe my tastes are in the minority. I found it to be incredibly bland and boring.

I suggest you look for a module for Mazes & Minotaurs, a retroclone based in ancient Greece. That should fit your Atlantean campaign better than standard modules.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Utgardloki
Mist Elf

Post by Utgardloki »

I don't want to get hung up on Greek culture. I mean, yes, Plato is the guy who invented Atlantis, and yes, I'm using the Roman gods, including Neptune. But Atlantis is not Greece and it is not inhabited by Greeks, so it should have its own culture. I'm not going to worry about sticking to the Greek idioms.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Buttmonkey wrote:I personally hate Beacon at Enon Tor, but lots of other people (e.g., pawndream) recommend it, so maybe my tastes are in the minority. I found it to be incredibly bland and boring.
There is definitely nothing particularly special about Beacon at Enon Tor. It is a standard adventure any DM could whip up on the fly, but it is free and easy to jump right in and play, especially for newer players.

If you wanted to use a C&C specific module, I would recommend Shadows of a Green Sky. I believe it is a 4th level adventure though.

Another possibility would be X1 Isle of Dread, if you wanted to employ the characters to explore a lost island somewhere nearby. This is more of a sandbox, but could be the springboard for many adventures.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Caverns of Thracia.