Zagyg's Dark Chateau: What's the word, ye or nay?

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
DaveyB
Red Cap

Zagyg's Dark Chateau: What's the word, ye or nay?

Post by DaveyB »

So I've decided that I might try my regular group with C&C as well as the newbie group that is probably going to be a one-shot deal. My regular group meets once a week and since we play 3.5 at the moment (I know, it's bad and we do more arguing about the rules than anything), I figured a nice change was in order. As such, I've been looking at Yggsburgh and Zagyg's Dark Chateau. If I run, I plan on doing Beacon at Enon Tor, then from there have the players arrive and set up camp in Yggsburgh, and finally either receive a letter stating an inheritance of said Chateau or possibly having them stumble upon it while out and about near Yggsburgh itself. Of course the inheritance hook would be a case of mistaken identity (something I liked and ripped off from the Enemy Within for Warhammer Fantasy) and could lead to all kinds of misadventures ("What do you mean I'm going to jail for back taxes?! I don't even own the place!"....."Yeah yeah, tell it to the judge!).
So now on to my real question. How good is Dark Chateau and how easy is it to run for a new CK? I've read a few reviews and it looks like something I'd enjoy CK'ing as it has some combat and plenty of puzzle-solving and traps (my favorites)! From what I've read of Yggsburgh from the preview, it looks to be really good as well. Comments and suggestions are welcome of course. Thanks in advance!

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I can't praise Yggsburgh enough, but I'll admit to mixed feelings on Dark Chateau.

I just don't see most of the gaming groups I've played with taking kindly to the exploration set-up inside the Chateau.

But Yggsburgh is a great city for gaming, and it and the environs are filled with some great adventures and adventure ideas.

DaveyB
Red Cap

Post by DaveyB »

Quote:
I can't praise Yggsburgh enough, but I'll admit to mixed feelings on Dark Chateau.

I just don't see most of the gaming groups I've played with taking kindly to the exploration set-up inside the Chateau.

But Yggsburgh is a great city for gaming, and it and the environs are filled with some great adventures and adventure ideas.

Well, I'm probably going to get Yggsburgh, and I don't see the exploration part of Chateau being a particular problem for my group. I found it for $8, so I may pick it up just to check it out. Thanks for the input.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I thought Dark Chateau was a very good adventure easily adapted outside of Yggsburg if desired. Yggsburg the setting, I personally did not like it, but many others have lots of good things to say about it, so it still should be worth checking out.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

DC is a damn good mod... with a little CK intervention. You could literally make the Dark Chateau the center of any adventure by adding whatever little story you wanted to add to it.

For example while my players are in Yggsburgh they need to find a key to open a long dead wizard's tomb within the city. The key to the tomb was last said to be within the confines of the Dark Chateau (was hidden there by a cabal of madmen who claimed the wizards tomb was actually a gate to another world.

Use the adventure as is, or add some elements of your own and you have a great "expandable" mod.

....................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

YEA!!!

Post by Rhuvein »

I'm running DC for our group and so far it's been great. They really like the atmosphere and action packed encounters outside and on the first floor. They're poised and ready to explore the rest of the mansion.

A big YEA!!!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I liked it but changed alot as I thought the module was too killer in some areas and I found the second floor to be absolutely boring. After a couple tweaks I like what I have. Also remember modules are not going to be 100% perfect for your group so take that into account.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06