C&C Adventures: Forgotten Realms adaptable?

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
irda ranger
Red Cap

C&C Adventures: Forgotten Realms adaptable?

Post by irda ranger »

Hey folks,

Quick "bird's eye view" question on the C&C modules available from TLG as I don't own any of them yet.

Simply put, how adaptable are they to a OD&D/AD&D 1e version of the Forgotten Realms CS? I know they are set in Erde, but how strongly does that come through in the writing? Can I play them "mostly as is", or will I need to rewrite a lot of the backstory?

Thanks!

PS - Yay! I'm a Hobgoblin! Woot for 2HD!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I don't see any problems for using the modules mostly as is. You may have to change a little bit of the backstory and the deity references.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

What Rigon said.

The toughest part is if you want to use the Unklar angle that is in the modules, which you will have to if you want to use the whole "A" series to their fullest potential. However I think you can replace all aspects of Unklar with the Zhentarim. With Fzoul Chembryl (sp?) as the ultimate antagonist.

The Haunted Highlands I think you can pretty easily adapt to the Dalelands area and several other areas.

The Goodman modules can be easily used almost anywhere.

Same with the others.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
The toughest part is if you want to use the Unklar angle that is in the modules, which you will have to if you want to use the whole "A" series to their fullest potential. However I think you can replace all aspects of Unklar with the Zhentarim. With Fzoul Chembryl (sp?) as the ultimate antagonist.

I don't know if I'd go with the Zhentarim, however, Bane would make a great substitute for Unklar. And Meiliki would work great for Wenafar.
Quote:
The Haunted Highlands I think you can pretty easily adapt to the Dalelands area and several other areas.

I would suggest on the northeastern side of the Sea of Fallen Stars, perhaps around Impultar.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

irda ranger
Red Cap

Post by irda ranger »

Perfect. The PC's are currently just a bit north of Melvaunt, by the Moonsea.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, if they fail to stop Fzoul Bane will become a HUMONGOUS problem for a lot more than just the party. I suppose you could have an avatar be the one trying to return Bane to the realms instead of Fzoul.

Or have Fzoul just trying to summon an Avatar. Pretty much any angle can work.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Pretty much any angle can work.

Agreed.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

irda ranger
Red Cap

Post by irda ranger »

Quote:
Well, if they fail to stop Fzoul Bane will become a HUMONGOUS problem for a lot more than just the party. I suppose you could have an avatar be the one trying to return Bane to the realms instead of Fzoul.

Or have Fzoul just trying to summon an Avatar. Pretty much any angle can work.

That sounds like some pretty high-level play. Interfering with Fzoul Chembryl's plot to ... what? Incarnate Bane? That sounds more like the culmination of a major campaign story arc, and nothing that anyone less than 10th level should even think about (preferably 15th lvl+). The Black Network does not tolerate fools or interlopers lightly.

Right now the PC's (who are generally good-ish, even if no one's a Paladin or LG cleric) are having to deal with the fact that the Keep on the Borderlands may be human and "civilized", but as a feudal outpost of the Melvaunt, Loviatar is the official religion of the land. Are the orcs and goblins in the Caves of Chaos better, worse, or just a different kind of evil & fah! a pox on both their houses? The PC's took some prisoners wiping out the bandit camp, and the prisoners were summarily executed upon returning to the Keep.

I've also decided that the hermit is a Druid of Crothian, for those that get the reference.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, in the "A" modules, A13 is the culmination. I imagine the level is going to be pretty high. At least 14th. The modules series is eventually going to draw the PC's into fighting the return of the god Unklar.

IF Unklar actually returns the world of Erde is screwed once again. Since the "A" series isn't being put out fast enough for my groups progress I have my group going through a "back up plan" which will involve bringing the "All Father" back to life.

Which will actually be higher than 14th level and involve my C&C adaptation of the d20 RuneMark of Erde, found in the "Winter RUNE" TLG module.