View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Shadows of the Halfling Hall Undead Lite Version 
Unkbartig

Post Shadows of the Halfling Hall Undead Lite Version
Next gaming session we're going to tackle Shadows of the Halfling Hall. However, after running two recent undead-centric adventures, I'm planning on downplaying the undead in this adventure.

Having to stay are the undead halflings, the animated severed hands, and the Bag O'Bones.

Within the actual barrow, I'm thinking of replaced the animated corpses with semi-live folk in some sort of unexplained curse-caused suspended animation, brought on by the evil deeds of the heathen king and queen.

Am I missing something with this? About the only squick I can think of is with the Awakener.

Mon May 22, 2006 7:18 pm
Unkbartig

Sounds reasonable...Another tack might be to have the kobold tribe from the Meadowgrass place having already linked up with the Awakener at the hall. This would give more mundane foes and allow the zombies to be "lightened up" a bit.

I love to use undead though, they're fun and there's no moral ambiguity with squishing 'em!

Mon May 22, 2006 8:09 pm
Unkbartig

So the gaming group started SotHH yesterday. And what caught me off guard was the amount of lead-up time to the module without combat.

Part of it was that we hadn't gamed in a while, so that everyone wanted to get in some straight role-playing with their characters. But in hindsight, it probably would've been good to put the old mill kobolds in their way to Newbriar, to provide variety.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:34 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
But in hindsight, it probably would've been good to put the old mill kobolds in their way to Newbriar, to provide variety.

That sounds like a good idea. Our group had some encounters on the road from Botkinburg to New Briar, so the town wandering and chatting with the locals worked out (although, the group did get the info pretty quick about the Halfling Hall).

Sound like your group enjoyed it, though.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:50 pm
Unkbartig

Don't worry... I can't count the number of people who've said SOTHH was a good one evening session type scenario after a read but found out differently after play actually began.
But please keep us posted, and let us know what changes you made to the denizens of the hall!

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:57 pm
Unkbartig

Well, we concluded the adventures in Newbriar this weekend.

The change of the denizens from Undead to people emerging from a sort of suspended animation worked perfectly. It really sent the cleric for a loop as to whether or not they were fighting the walking dead or not (especially since I kept the Halfling Zombies, Deathgrips, and Bag'o'Bones).

The hallucinogenic trap caused some great role-playing, as the result that was rolled was the growth effect.

The fight with the King and Queen went well. The dwarven fighter was paralyzed toward the end, but good prevailed nonetheless.

Of course, they took the awakener, having no idea what it is. I'm not sure what to do with it now.

Next session: On the road to YGGSBURGH! Finally!

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:22 pm
Unkbartig

If they don't know what the Awakener is, it can be a lot of fun to use at odd moments....like when the party camps near a graveyard and the Awakener starts "awakening" some nearby corpses!
...though a hint that something's wrong might be if the party notices their fresh meat for meals (if they have any) spoiling VERY quickly, maybe wiggling on the plate a bit, etc.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]