View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Low-level C&C adventures (lvl 1-3) 
Mist Elf

Post Low-level C&C adventures (lvl 1-3)
Hi CKs.

I'm a lurker of the forum and reader of the C&C books for some time (since 2011) but only recently had the opportunity to run a few games.

I've "CKed" only 3 times (with different groups) and I used only "U1_Shadows Over The Halfling Hall", wich is a great short introductory adventure, imho.
It went well, confirming my strong taste for C&C
I'm looking for advice about low level adventures to play beyond U1.

I've recently bought some of the A serie adventures but don't want to use/read them yet because I hope/might be playing them.
I also own and have read DB1 and DB2, but DB1 is too much of a sandbox for my own taste and my players' liking, and DB2 is too high level.
Reading some of the answers on this very forum, to the same kind of question I'm asking right now, I bought and flipped through "DA1 Dark Journey" (thanks to cheap price on RPG Now) and it seems good but is "just" a dungeoncrawl. It could come in handy in the future, but right now, it's not what I'm looking for.

I don't have enough free time to adapt some old AD&D modules (or any other OSR game), unless it's (very) straightforward.
I'd like to find 1 or 2 good modules for starting character (level 1-3 or 2-4 for exemple) with some diversity : roleplaying opportunities, investigation/quest, and wilderness or dungeon crawls. And if it's written for C&C, with C&C in mind, it's the icing of the cake

So ... considering all my constraints, any recommandations ? :mrgreen:

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:02 pm
Mogrl

Post Re: Low-level C&C adventures (lvl 1-3)
Adapting the old modules is very straight forward, especially at the low levels. 90 to 99% of what you need to know is their HD or level, from there the next most important things to know are AC, HP and movement. Then probably alignment. All of which is in the stat blocks of the old modules. So for AC, just as they subtract AC from 10 and go down to -10, take that difference and add it to 10 to get the C&C AC value. Gear usually matches up, but sometimes can be off by 1. So if that bothers you, keep the armor values handy and do a quick total in your head and fix it if they don't match up. When you run into magic resistance at higher level every 5% equals 1 on the D20. So an MR of 40% is an SR of 8 in C&C. 90% of the modules I use are either C&C modules or "Old School" modules, such as the classics, or thsoe few that Goodman Games has made, most I use are from Expeditious Retreat Press, published for OSRIC, which is the 1E AD&D clone.

Plus, most of the monster you use in 1st to 3rd level old school modules are already "converted" in the C&C monster books. Because to me, the hardest part of converting stuff is deciding on what is Prime and non Prime, but if you look at how the Trolls did it, you kind of see a pattern. Not that I would ever accuse Trolls of being capable of a pattern. Still, there is enough of one for you to get a decent enough sense of how its supposed to be done that you will be able to do it just as well as a Troll can, probably better.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:46 pm
Ulthal

I recommend this site http://www.roleplayingtips.com/5-room-dungeons/

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:51 pm
Mogrl

jdizzy001 wrote:

Those are pretty cool. Would have been much better if they already came with maps.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:06 pm
Lore Drake

I'm personally not a fan of Dark Journey. It was a little bland for my tastes. I don't see anything wrong with a module just being a dungeon crawl; I just want an interesting dungeon crawl.

Tree is right about the ease of converting 1E and B/X material to C&C. It's especially easy if you don't freak out about being hyper-precise. For example, does it really matter if the armor class conversion is off by one point in one direction or the other? Just flip the AC and move on. There is no reason to agonize over subtle differences. The good news is most of the classic monsters from 1970s and 1980s D&D are already in Monsters & Treasure or Classic Monsters, so you can just substitute the C&C equivalents if you'd like. The even better news is that you don't need to substitute if you don't want to. If your old module has a stat block for an orc with an AC of 6, there is no reason to use the "official" C&C orc. Just convert the AC from the stat block (a 6 in 1E becomes a 14 in C&C; a 6 in B/X becomes a 13 in C&C) and wing it. Everything will turn out just fine.

Movement rates can be slightly trickier to convert. I actually haven't found movement rates to be terribly significant in the vast majority of encounters I have run in C&C, so I've rarely paid much attention to the conversion process for movement rates.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:37 pm
Mogrl

Buttmonkey wrote:
I'm personally not a fan of Dark Journey. It was a little bland for my tastes. I don't see anything wrong with a module just being a dungeon crawl; I just want an interesting dungeon crawl.

Tree is right about the ease of converting 1E and B/X material to C&C. It's especially easy if you don't freak out about being hyper-precise. For example, does it really matter if the armor class conversion is off by one point in one direction or the other? Just flip the AC and move on. There is no reason to agonize over subtle differences. The good news is most of the classic monsters from 1970s and 1980s D&D are already in Monsters & Treasure or Classic Monsters, so you can just substitute the C&C equivalents if you'd like. The even better news is that you don't need to substitute if you don't want to. If your old module has a stat block for an orc with an AC of 6, there is no reason to use the "official" C&C orc. Just convert the AC from the stat block (a 6 in 1E becomes a 14 in C&C; a 6 in B/X becomes a 13 in C&C) and wing it. Everything will turn out just fine.

Movement rates can be slightly trickier to convert. I actually haven't found movement rates to be terribly significant in the vast majority of encounters I have run in C&C, so I've rarely paid much attention to the conversion process for movement rates.

In most cases its easiest to not "convert", human sized is 30 feet, shorter is 20 feet, significantly taller is 40 feet. Works in what? 95% of the cases? Flying is a little trickier, but in most cases I can find a close enough equivalent in the C&C monster books, if not the same creature.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Ulthal

Treebore wrote:
jdizzy001 wrote:

Those are pretty cool. Would have been much better if they already came with maps.

Yeah, that would be helpful. I use minis and make my own terrain from hot glue and cardboard. Maps wouls certainly speed up the process.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 pm
Mist Elf

Thanks for the advices.
I'll try to go through the few AD&D modules I've got.

And any opinions about these C&C modules I saw on rpgnow ?
- I1 Into the Unknown: Vakhund
- The Goblins of Mount Shadow
- The Ruins of Ramat
- The Secret of Ronan Skerry

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:03 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Possibly S1 Lure of Delusion? I don't recall any dungeon crawl, but there's an investigation into an abduction. Part of the adventure takes place in a small community and a tavern (I think). Investigation of a nearby homestead, with some overland travel and encounters. Not bad for a 9? page GenCon tourney module. Just my thoughts.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:14 am
Mogrl

I played through Vakhund and recall thinking it was pretty cool. I've only read the others and remember liking them, but have yet to get the chance to run any of them.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:22 am
Greater Lore Drake

Hopefully there'll be a re-release of Vakhund, and the other 2? modules in that series. They were done for C&C, and I think Stephen talked about bringing them back. Presently out of production, however.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:45 am
Mist Elf

Thanks to all for the input.
Just for the record, I bought and will be using "I1 Into the Unknown: Vakhund".
And I've looked at the old U1 and U2 old Ad&d modules.
And to some of the latest DCC (Dungeon Crawl Classics) modules from Goodman Games (good stuff !).

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:18 am
Greater Lore Drake

I'm not at home to check my collection, but weren't there two follow ups to Into the Unknown? Dogs of War, and something like Felthensheim? I believe Davis wrote those.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:00 pm
Hlobane Orc

Natha wrote:
- The Goblins of Mount Shadow

I personally found all of the F "Celtic" series to be of excellent quality. They also form a loose campaign with each having at least a link to the next. Probably better at levels 3 to 5 though.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]