View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Death bed scenes 
Ulthal

Post Death bed scenes
I just discovered something about C&C (and RPGs in general) that is missing. Death bed scenes.

No character dies slowly (excepting from poisons maybe). Or they die slowly very rarely. I just watched Blood Diamonds and thought about L's death scene and then about those famous death scenes in movies throughout cinema history. RPGs just don't have them.

So I am trying to think of a manner in which to bring them in.

davis

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:12 pm
Maukling

Post Re: Death bed scenes
Well, there's from absolute boredom as some grandstanding player goes off on his soliloquy about his characters brilliance..

Save vs paralysis or slip into coma.

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Ulthal

I'd love to introduce these as well....the only problem is that everyone is quick to run up with a healing spell or healing draught or healing this or that....

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:29 pm
Red Cap

It's funny you mention this today of all days. I just drove one of my best friends to the airport, to return back home to Germany. As posted in one of my earlier messages on these boards, I ran a one time high level campaign where my friends character was old and dying on his death bed. We flashed back to the characters life time up until his eventual death in bed. It added alot of flavour and athmosphere to the game and allowed me to inject much needed role playing. No one questioned the death and figured that it was the dwarfs time to go. Other than this one time moment, you are right to say that death bed scenes are rare and usually a character dies quite suddenly.

I think it's just a matter of planning your 'scenes' appropriately when you know that a characters time has come. Make sure noone has a miracle healing spell, and even then, divine powers can get in the way of healing/curing/resurection!

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:05 pm
Lore Drake

Inkpot wrote:
I'd love to introduce these as well....the only problem is that everyone is quick to run up with a healing spell or healing draught or healing this or that....

Ink

This is true, my players do this to NPCs as well.(NPCs that are supposed to die. )

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:17 am
Ulthal

It is rare a character is around long enough to die of old age. IN most every group I have played they want to play out each day - if even just to mention what they do that day. I don't really get it, but when I run a game I will bump it months at a time and even a few years if necessary. But I digress.

Heal spells and even resurectioin spells make it difficult for a character to die and when they do it is usually going from 2 hp to -10 in one round. The slow bleeding death adds some potentially interesting role play. Do I go forward and die but retrieve the gem that will send that demon back to hell or, do i rest here and live another day but let the gem fall into the hands of the evil priest who will use it to control the demon and ravage the world.

anyway, just thinking out loud.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:25 pm
Battle Stag

This might be an interesting scene to add to a "live" game. One character lies dying, while the others set out to avenge his death, find the cure, etc. The nature of the game with instant healing makes this difficult, but there is no reason a CK couldn't just rule that a PC reduced to X HP is greviously wounded and that the only things that can help are Wish, Miracle, a quest, etc.

This seems like a big increase in the potential difficulty factor for the game, but could be a potent means for role-playing.

Now that I think about it, my PCs usually like to play every day as well, regardless of the amount of inactivity. I guess this is usually due to my CKing style. I always have plots hooks and plot threads dangling no matter what. This lets the PC go back to a safehaven, rest up and venture out once more. It's a habit of mine to do this, which makes having a natural, planned conclusion to a campaign, senario or whatever fairly difficult.

............................................Omote

FPQ

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Ulthal

I think every heal spell, potion, etc. should have a 50% chance of utter failure. HOUSE RULE!!!

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]