View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
DA1 Dark Journey - More Questions 
Skobbit

Post DA1 Dark Journey - More Questions
Just picked this up through the Kickstarter project and have a couple of questions:

1 - In room 6 there is a command word mentioned that would prevent the skeletons from attacking. I'm just wondering how the PCs would ever know that or even be able to find that out? If there is no chance of them ever guessing/finding out why is it even mentioned in the first place then?

2 - In room 12 you have stats for 8 Orcs but reading through the room description it seems to be that there are only 7 Orcs - "There are a total of six orcs in this room, plus the commander." Which is right?

3 - Where do I find the stats/descriptions of the different treasures (ie. ring of sustenance, ring of swimming, hat of disguise, etc.)? Are they in the Monsters & Treasure book or in the Castle Keeper's Guide? (I'm a newbie here and just have the Player's Guide that I got through the kickstarter campaign)

Still working my way through it so may have more questions later on.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:05 pm
Mogrl

Post Re: DA1 Dark Journey - More Questions
The items, I believe, are all in the M&T. Yeah, pretty sure.

As for Room 6, probably thrown in there just as a hook for the CK to use or ignore, is my guess.

As for question 2, I'd say 7, but no reason you can't up it to 8, or drop it down. After all, as CK's we adjust the encounters according to the size and ability of our gaming groups characters. So such numbers are never written in stone anyways, as far as I am concerned.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:03 am
Mogrl

Oh, and welcome to the Crusade! May you range far, gaining many players, and grow rich with adventure and great stories!

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:06 am
Lord High Inquisitor

Blazeguard wrote:
Just picked this up through the Kickstarter project and have a couple of questions:

1 - In room 6 there is a command word mentioned that would prevent the skeletons from attacking. I'm just wondering how the PCs would ever know that or even be able to find that out? If there is no chance of them ever guessing/finding out why is it even mentioned in the first place then?

2 - In room 12 you have stats for 8 Orcs but reading through the room description it seems to be that there are only 7 Orcs - "There are a total of six orcs in this room, plus the commander." Which is right?

3 - Where do I find the stats/descriptions of the different treasures (ie. ring of sustenance, ring of swimming, hat of disguise, etc.)? Are they in the Monsters & Treasure book or in the Castle Keeper's Guide? (I'm a newbie here and just have the Player's Guide that I got through the kickstarter campaign)

Still working my way through it so may have more questions later on.

hey Blazeguard, welcome to The Crusades.

Let me answer your questions for you:
1. The party will probably never know the command word (though a CK could hint at it in some way previous to the adventure... some old woman whispers a word to a random party member before she dies...). The real reason it is there is an homage to the old D&D module "Keep On The Borderlands" The kobolds would yell, "bree-yark" at the party, which translated means "we surrender".
2. There are seven total. Take away one of the "7"s in the hit point list.
3. As Tree said, they are all in the M&T.

I hope you enjoyed the adventure. I'm writing the follow up now.

Thanks,
Kim

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:05 am
Skobbit

Thanks for the clarification. I will definitely be looking forward to the next adventure.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:20 am
Skobbit

Just finished our first session last night and everyone had a blast. Now I am figuring out XP and am noticing a discrepancy in the Giant Spider stats between the module and the M&T book.

According to the module the Spider has HD 1d6 and does 1d4 damage. The M&T says a (small) Spider has HD 1d4 and does 1d2 damage.
For XP the Spider entry lists XP as 11+1 (15) but using the general Monster XP table I calculate the XP of the spider to be 9.

Am I missing something or are my calculations off somewhere?

The party explored room 1 and room 12, defeated the spider and the 7 orcs so I calculated the total XP earned at 513 (using 15 XP for the spider and the gp value for the armor and weapons found on the orcs), does that sound about right?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 pm
Lord High Inquisitor

Blazeguard wrote:
Just finished our first session last night and everyone had a blast. Now I am figuring out XP and am noticing a discrepancy in the Giant Spider stats between the module and the M&T book.

According to the module the Spider has HD 1d6 and does 1d4 damage. The M&T says a (small) Spider has HD 1d4 and does 1d2 damage.
For XP the Spider entry lists XP as 11+1 (15) but using the general Monster XP table I calculate the XP of the spider to be 9.

Am I missing something or are my calculations off somewhere?

The party explored room 1 and room 12, defeated the spider and the 7 orcs so I calculated the total XP earned at 513 (using 15 XP for the spider and the gp value for the armor and weapons found on the orcs), does that sound about right?

To be honest, I think I buffed the spider a bit from it's original M&T variety. 1d4 HD and 1d2 damage is kinda weak. I could have used two, but I liked the allure of dropping a single spider on them. So I made it stronger by a bit, so use the higher XP amount.

But to a larger point: don't worry about the little stuff. In our game, we have to remind Steve regularly about XP (he grudgingly doles it out every 3-4 sessions). When he does, he glances over the last few encounters and just kinda mumbles and says, "Does 2000xp each sound about right?" Maybe a bit extreme in the other direction, but make sure you, as the CK, have fun as well and don't bog yourself down in minutia.

I give this advice freely and with the best intentions. :D

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:59 pm
Greater Lore Drake

that's SO how I used to do XP when I DM'ed. LOL!

When did this campaign start? hmm... yeah the next chapter looks hard, level up now.
bwa ha ha ha

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]