Rising Knight starting level?

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
caedrus
Henchman

Rising Knight starting level?

Post by caedrus »

I'm getting ready to start the Rising Knight and was wondering if I should start the PCs at level 1 or 2. I recently TPK'd a level 1 party a little too easily. Here is the party makeup:

Human cleric
Human ranger/wizard multi-class
Elf rogue
Half-orc fighter
Half-orc druid

Any thoughts or tips on running the adventure would be appreciated as well.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Rising Knight starting level?

Post by Tadhg »

With that group, I should think level 1 will be OK. If you think your players are not very experienced at RPG'ing, perhaps you can utilize one or 2 of the NPCs. I did that with my group of 4 players (who were newbies to the game and youngsters) and they were able to get through the module quite well.

:)

[Welcome to the Crusade!!]
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

You could also allow your druid character to have several goodberries already cast/enchanted. This gives them the effect of a healing potion on hand, albeit only one hp at a time and usable once per day per person (at max 8 hp cured)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

The dungeon in the Rising Knight can be a problem even for a group of experienced players, if things go just a little badly, or they don't frequently hole up or withdraw to heal up. I wouldn't chalk it up to just inexperience at RPGs, though perhaps "inexperience with non-pushover scenarios, in which victory is not assured" may apply. ;)

As far as things to do - sprinkle a few healing potions (or perhaps goodberries) about on creatures. Include a healing scroll or two in the document room. Have a "blessed spring" near a campsite outside the dungeon that has a chance to heal 1d4 HP. Perhaps they could encounter another goblin raiding party outside, who have taken prisoner a low-level cleric, that offers to join the party as an NPC to seek vengeance once freed.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."