A little confused about the encumbrance rules at page 48

Where CKs swap ideas and players figure out what's coming.

Moderator: Keeper Advice Moderators

mostrojoe
Hlobane Orc

A little confused about the encumbrance rules at page 48

Post by mostrojoe »

Looking at the wonderful Player's Handbook 4th Ed. I have noticed that at page 48 there is a ruling to put objects in backpacks and pouches.

Strangely enough there are two segments of the rule, it seems like they have been taken in consideration for a final layout but hav been left there both for a mistake.

I have to divide in two the encumbrance of an object when it is put in a backpack? The capacity must be considered for the "not packaged" objects or for the totally packaged objects? So I can put in a backpack objects for 8EV having 5(w) (4+1 for the backpack) of encumbrance? Or I can put there 16EV of objects having a final 9(w) (8+1) of encumbrance?

ALso, the EV for the backpack at page 45 is listed as 2, not 1. What is the correct value?

In the second exemple that rules the same thing in another manner (subtract 2 fom the EV for a minimum of 1) the exemple seems messed up. The exemple says that atota encumbrance value of 8 (the maximum for a backpack) would be reduced to 5... why?! 8-2 is 6... and even if every oject there will have areduction of 2 while jeeping a minimum of 1 the total would be 4 not 5... again the EV for the backpack is considered 1.

What is the correct way to read this complicated paragraph?

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Take a look at the third printing's errata and you should find the answers you seek. But don't be too adverse to just ignoring the encumbrance rules and determining things ad hoc.

cheeplives
Red Cap

Post by cheeplives »

They have once again messed up the Encumbrance rules.

A backpack can carry 8 EV of items. This is before the "savings"... basically you can put 8 EV in it and it only counts as 4 EV.

A backpack should be listed as 1 (w) so a full backpack that is worn should only be 4 EV. Carrying a full backpack is 5 EV.

Capacity items should effectively halve (round down, minimum 0) the items inside. The Encumbrance errata section goes over all of this.

Author of StarSIEGE: Event Horizon -- Available now from Troll Lord Games!
discreteinfinity.com -- my respite from the bustle of the internet

Author of StarSIEGE: Event Horizon

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

I like my encumbrance rules.

They can be summed up in one sentence.

"If you can stand up and demonstrate to me how all this is going on your body, your character can have it"

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

cheeplives
Red Cap

Post by cheeplives »

I like the clarified rules I put together for C&C. I'd like them even more if they actually ever made it entirely into a single book.

Author of StarSIEGE: Event Horizon -- Available now from Troll Lord Games!
discreteinfinity.com -- my respite from the bustle of the internet

Author of StarSIEGE: Event Horizon