Spot and Listen checks.

Where CKs swap ideas and players figure out what's coming.

Moderator: Keeper Advice Moderators

Andhaira
Mist Elf

Spot and Listen checks.

Post by Andhaira »

Spot and listen checks are handled with a Wisdom roll correct?

Also, people say feats can be emulated by SIEGE checks. However, how would you emulate feats like weapon focus, spell focus, etc etc. Basically feats with a consistent bonus.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Checks are made only when required, using whatever ability is most logical / desired at the time -- ordinarily, "spot" or listen would be a Wisdom check, but Intelligence can be used as well, with little rationalization.

Look at the fighter ability called weapon specialization -- that is, essentially, how C&C handles what else you wanted.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

serleran wrote:
Checks are made only when required, using whatever ability is most logical / desired at the time -- ordinarily, "spot" or listen would be a Wisdom check, but Intelligence can be used as well, with little rationalization.

Look at the fighter ability called weapon specialization -- that is, essentially, how C&C handles what else you wanted.

I have to echo serleran here. I use all manner of attributes for spot checks; mostly its wisdom. But I deviate often, for instance, a PC trying to check out a guard captain and find something odd about him, I might make it a charisma check.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Keep in mind that "Spot" and "Listen" don't need to be used NEARLY as often as 3E presented as typical.

Most of the time, if a player indicates his character is looking actively for threats, and describes the search adequately, he or she should succeed.

If there is some reason where success is in doubt - active concealment by the enemy, or environmental considerations making things more difficult, then a roll is probably justified.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society