Magic armor

Where CKs swap ideas and players figure out what's coming.

Moderator: Keeper Advice Moderators

doomed_bishop
Ungern

Magic armor

Post by doomed_bishop »

I have a problem (again ) with the magic armor. Well at page 104 of the third printing, it is writing:

"The caster level of a magic shield or magic armor with a special ability is given in the item description. For an item with only an enhancement bonus, the caster level is three times the enhancement bonus. If an item has both an enhancement bonus and a special ability, the higher of the two caster level requirements must be met"

i have two questions.

1- The way i had understand, when we create a magic item that is in the book, we are refering to the 87, creating magical items. So my question is: is it just a condition that weapon and miscellaneous weapons don't have, or is it refere to the rules of creating unusual items

2- How we made to calculate abilities level, for example, Lion's shield

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

1)
Quote:
For an item with only an enhancement bonus, the caster level is three times the enhancement bonus.

This applies to any item with only an enhancement bonus, including all non-special weapons and non-special armor / shields.

2) Pick something. I don't recall a formula being used for it. Lion's shield should have its effective caster level in the description; if it does not, then it must be at least 11 (minimum to create any magic item).