Monster second and last part

Where CKs swap ideas and players figure out what's coming.

Moderator: Keeper Advice Moderators

doomed_bishop
Ungern

Monster second and last part

Post by doomed_bishop »

So, Seleran respond to me this :
Quote:
Lamia get 2 claws and 1 dagger attack. The damage for each is in the parenthetical -- 1d4 and 1d4+2 respectively.

Kobold gets either a bite (for 1d2 damage) or a weapon (with damage delivered by the weapon type).

Basically, if it says "or" it means "one of these, but not all of these." If it doesn't, then it is usually safe to assume all of the listed attack methods.

Excluding weapon damage, every attack should have its damage listed in parentheses. The reason the lamia does slightly different damage from "by weapon" is due to adding +2 to the attack damage roll -- whether that is Strength, accuracy, etc is the Castle Keeper's call.

But, for example, how the troll is doing to have 2 claw and weapon ?? This that mean that the CK has to go on logic on this or i do not understand something

Again, when it's writing 2 Claw (1d4), that mean that we're doing two attack to hit and each has 1d4 dammage ??

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Monster second and last part

Post by gideon_thorne »

doomed_bishop wrote:
But, for example, how the troll is doing to have 2 claw and weapon ?? This that mean that the CK has to go on logic on this or i do not understand something

Well, since a troll has a +3 on his weapon, logically that is on top of the damage on the weapon. If its a two handed weapon, its likely he's only going to get the one attack. If its a one handed weapon, the troll could have two attacks, one would be a claw attack.
Quote:
Again, when it's writing 2 Claw (1d4), that mean that we're doing two attack to hit and each has 1d4 dammage ??

Yes

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Having 2 XXXX (YYYY) means two attacks, each one dealing YYYY damage. If a creature with 2 (or more) attacks does so with a two-handed weapon, it is generally a good idea to reduce them to one such attack (or maybe reduce by 1 / 2 attacks normally granted so a creature with 4 normal attacks could strike twice) but this is not an official rule -- a troll, for example, that wants to claw and swing a long sword would take the off-hand penalties for doing it -- they only get 2 attacks when using claws, and then they don't have penalties... this is to preserve the "iconic attack method."