Not Simple but not extremely hard challenges?

Where CKs swap ideas and players figure out what's coming.

Moderator: Keeper Advice Moderators

jreyst
Skobbit

Not Simple but not extremely hard challenges?

Post by jreyst »

I was wondering how one would go about having a saving throw (or challenge) where the difficulty is less than 18 for a 1st level PC with a non-prime stat, and with no ability modifier? Specifically, what I am trying to do is to re-add in System Shock and Resurrection Survival chances and base the difficulty on the original percentage chances.

For example, in 1E, a character with a 10 Constitution had a 70% System Shock and 75% Resurrection Survival chance.

In C&C I was going to assign a Challenge Rating to each. However, if I assume that the difficulty for a 1st level character with a 10 Constitution should still roughly be a 70/75%, how do I do that? With a negative CL? As I understand it all checks start at base 12 (if vs. a prime ability) or 18 (if not prime). In my case I am assuming a 1st level character with 10 Constitution where Con is not prime.

In that case he would start at needing an 18... and then add on the CL. However, even without adding anything he starts off already only having a 15% chance of success on any CL0 test? I understand simplicity, and that sometimes you just gloss over tasks that are so simple they shouldn't require a check, but is a 75% chance of success considered so simple it can not be represented? Or, should I assign a negative CL to the check in order to approximate the difficulty? Or, is the system basically just not designed to handle tests like this?

I feel like I'm probably missing a core component that would help explain how to handle this lol

Alternatively, I could just say screw the Siege system, and leave them at simple percentage rolls. That's certainly the easiest method though I'd prefer to use the Siege system.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Not Simple but not extremely hard challenges?

Post by gideon_thorne »

jreyst wrote:
In C&C I was going to assign a Challenge Rating to each. However, if I assume that the difficulty for a 1st level character with a 10 Constitution should still roughly be a 70/75%, how do I do that? With a negative CL?

Yes.

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't go into the negative CL's with categories in the other direction along the lines of easier (-5) Much easier (-10) and so forth. Use the established modifier examples as a guide.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

I would also consider just using the percentages from 1E. They only require two slots on the sheet, and there's no reason why *everything* has to be SIEGE driven if something else is simpler to manage.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society