View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
E. Gary Gygax Day, July 27th 
Skobbit

Post E. Gary Gygax Day, July 27th
E. Gary Gygax Day was originally conceived as a way to honor Gary. We wanted to celebrate his birthday with an evening of eating, drinking and playing. Then it occurred to us, why not promote this as a holiday for all role-players to celebrate. Imagine players all over the world toasting Gary and his achievements at the same time each year. We imagined the flood of pictures coming into the forums for Gary to see just how many people care about him.

Then it happened. Gary died. We were devastated. Role-players all over the world were devastated. Surely Gary was going to live forever. How could such a youthful spirit, so full of life, depart us. Life isn't fair. Gary Day took on a new role. It became a chance to honor the memory of Gary. A chance to celebrate all of the things he did to enrich our lives. We would toast him and his works and curse his enemies in unison. It is also a chance for those unfortunate souls who never had the chance to meet Gary personally to get to know what he was like. By getting together and eating, drinking his favorite ale, reading his words, sharing his humor, toasting his memory and playing his games, you get to know what he was like, if just a little bit.

Celebrate E. Gary Gygax day with your group on (or about) July 27th.
http://www.thekosb.org/gygax/

I would like the world to remember me as the guy who really enjoyed playing games and sharing his knowledge and his fun pastimes with everybody else.

--Gary

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:21 pm
Ulthal

Post Gygax memories
This could be a real event on a gamers calendar. I met Gary once at Gen Con 20. He was sitting all alone at the Mayfair booth, no one was interested in him much. This seemed a bit criminal to me as I looked around and realized that all the hooplah around me would not even be going on if it weren't for the guy sitting behind that table. We talked for the better part of an hour, then, slowly people began to realize who it was and began to form a more respectable crowd. I dunno whether or not I just got lucky and was able to spend some time with one of the orginal visionaries or whether people were caught up in the anti-Gygx sentiment going on at the time, but I got a real "Gen-Con Moment" ...and a couple of autographs.

I will mark this date on the calendar for next year and a party will be held.

~Duke Arazmus

Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:29 pm
Skobbit

OK. 633 people have viewed this post since last year. Does that mean that 633 people are going to celebrate this year? We're well on our way to creating a national holiday!

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:28 am
Cleric of Zagyg

Cool/fun site . . for a party or celebration of Gary's B-day!!

Happy Day, Gary!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:03 am
Ulthal

The party is this weekend (having it yesterday would not have worked). There will be food and gaming and drinking and fun. All are welcome if you're in the area stop by.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:07 pm
Skobbit

You definitely hit the important parts there: food, gaming and drinking. BTW, Gary's birthday will be on Saturday in 2013 (assuming the world is still around by then, make sure you party in 2012 just in case).

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:19 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Nice story about having that much time to speak with Gary. It may be that some people had no clue what he looked like. Stephen Chenault can tell you a good story about somebody who was in the presence of the man himself, and didn't even know it.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 pm
Mogrl

It was, is, and shall be an honor, Gary. Thank you for all you gave and shared. Your life bettered that of others... there is nothing more, nothing better, than that.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:27 pm
Unkbartig

What else is there besides food, gaming, and drinking?

Conan would know!

You gave me an avenue and a focus that definately made my life better.

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]