Rest in Peace: Erick Wujcik (1951-2008)

Threads honoring gaming pioneers that have molded our hobby, and have started their own games in a better place.
Keolander
Red Cap

Rest in Peace: Erick Wujcik (1951-2008)

Post by Keolander »

(Reposted from Robotech.com)

Kevin Siembieda has notified us of the following news
Quote:
Beloved role-playing game designer, Erick Wujcik, passed away Saturday evening, June 7, 2008. He died from complications related to pancreatic and liver cancer. Kathryn Kozora, his sweetheart of more than 30 years, and other loved ones were at his side.

Erick was diagnosed with cancer in late November, 2007 and given 6-8 weeks to live. True to Erick's indomitable spirit and zest for life, he proved the doctors wrong by lasting more than six months. Most of that time was spent with friends and loved ones.

Erick Wujcik's accomplishments are many.

To the role-playing game community, Erick is best known for his many RPG games and contributions to Palladium Books, including The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG, several TMNT sourcebooks, After the Bomb RPG and sourcebooks for it, Ninjas & Superspies, Mystic China, Rifts China One and Two, Revised RECON, Wolfen Empire and many others. He is also famous for Amber Diceless, the first truly "diceless" role-playing game, published under Erick's own label, Phage Press. Erick also published Amberzine and founded Ambercon, a series of conventions celebrating gaming, friendship and the world of Amber, hosted at numerous locations around the world.

Erick Wujcik was also the founder, heart and soul of the Detroit Gaming Center, served as Adjunct Assistant Professor of Game Design at Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2003-2008), and worked in the videogame industry for the last several years, including UbiSoft China and most recently, as Senior Game Design/Writer at Totally Games, Novato, California.

Erick Wujcik's greatest accomplishment, however, is his contagious joy for life and love of ideas and imagination that inspired people around the world. Whether they were one of his students at Hong Kong Polytechnic University, fellow game designers, or fans sitting in the audience at a convention or seminar listening to Erick speak, to those who had the pleasure of gaming with Erick (he loved to run games at conventions and everywhere he went), to those who knew him best, they couldn't help but to love him. Even the millions who only knew him through his published works or communicated with him online, considered him a friend.

Erick is survived by Kathyrn Kozora, Kate's granddaughter - his beloved Sara, mother Nora, sister Peggy, his Aunt Mary and Uncle Sam and Nancy, along with dozens of aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews.

Erick's last months of life were the same as he had always lived, full of friendship, joy, grace and beauty. He went quietly into the night, like a snowflake falling gently from the heavens

He will be greatly missed.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yep, I saw this on other sites. Been one very sad year for gamers. Not to mention the respective families, friends, etc...

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Yeah, I heard about this last week. Sorry, you didn't get the news in a timely fashion, Keo.

It must be good to get some "extra" time as it were, good for the patient and good for the family.

Rest In Peace.

Peace.
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

phadeout
Red Cap

Post by phadeout »

TMNT, Afterbomb... how I miss those days... thank you Eric.
"If everyone was drunker, was beer cheaper? And if they were more drunk the further back one goes, is there a time when everyone was completely soused all of the time? And, could I go there?" -Davis Chenault

yell0w_lantern
Hlobane Orc

Post by yell0w_lantern »

TMNT was the first RPG I ever played.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It is a sad occasion to be sure. Erick, more then probably any other RPG writer next to the EGG himself influenced me on RPGs. Erick was a really cool guy, and I was glad to meet him a few times. Erick, my man... thanks you for the countless hours of enjoyment with TMNT and N&SS. You influenced our gaming group in innumerable ways. Thank you fine sire for your fine writing, and outstanding imagination. Sir, you will be truely missed.

Farewell.

-Derrick
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

It has been bad the last year or two. One of the old TSR artists died in his 50's(I think some of his work was featured in the late 70's corebooks). Name escapes me at the moment. Tom Moldvay died last year(?). He was also 50-something. He worked on some 1980's D&D, Star Frontiers, etc. Also Gary G, and Bob with the Judges Guild. Now, Eric. Also have to mention Robert Asprin and Arthur C. Clarke for what it's worth.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I got to play a few times in games run by Erick and I'll tell you he was amazing. He had a quick mind and was always looking for ways to trip up the players and put a twist into their adventure, and was aware of when to be loose and when to be heavy-handed.

The Amber communuty misses him greatly.

Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society

C&C Playtester in 2003
OD&D player since 1975
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Alas. I have fond memories of some absolutely gonzo TMNT adventures.

Indeed, much of the old guard has been lost in recent years.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I never played TMNT. I was waaay to old to care about the 90's animated series, or the movies. And, I do remember that the old black and white comic was okay. Before the commercialization. That said, I only glanced at one or two issues. Seems like the game was out during that time as well. I'm not sure. I was playing Star Frontiers, AD&D, basic D&D, and Gamma World at that time. *those were the days*

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Yep, the original TMNT RPG came out in 1987 I believe. Really good stuff. Of course, Mr. Wujcik went on to write lots of other gaming stuff, probably best known for TMNT or Amber.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

Omote wrote:
Of course, Mr. Wujcik went on to write lots of other gaming stuff, probably best known for TMNT or Amber.

Don't forget Paranoia! He authored some absolutely hilarious stuff for the ultimate 'survival of the fittest' rpg.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I liked quite a lot of Erick's Palladium material, simply because it did not follow the normal "rules" for everything - Ninjas and Superspies, TMNT, After the Bomb... all great stuff. And then, there is Amber - not my favorite game (know nothing about the "universe," nor do I want to) - which is simply brilliant for its divergence.

Sleep well, now, Erick. You will be missed.