Dragon Warriors

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Isn't that always the way? When the book comes in, be sure to drop a few thoughts on it. It's not C&C, but it's fun in a basic sort of way.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Omote wrote:
Isn't that always the way? When the book comes in, be sure to drop a few thoughts on it. It's not C&C, but it's fun in a basic sort of way.

-O

I'll be happy to and I can't wait to leaf through the book!

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I have been eying it for a while now, maybe I'll break down and buy yet another fantasy RPG.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Tis an enjoyable game for sure, and a personal fav. The rules are very easy (at time quirky), and combat is usually quick. It's a old-school fantasy RPG for sure, and has not changed much since the original books came out in the 80s. Dragon Warriors is not a very deep game though. The mechanics are really simple (as described above), and the classes, for the most part are not very mechanically different from one another. There is room to argue this last point for sure (Assassin, Elementalist, etc), but for the purposes of this review, the fighting classes are alike. The setting for DW is neat, but very earth-like for sure. Though, the humanocentricity is extremely ingrained into the setting and one of the defining features.

Overall, if you like a simplistic game with some quirly rules from time-to-time, Dragon Warriors is a little gem of a game.

Thanks for the review, DangerDwarf.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I think the thing I like most about the game is the mythic feel of it all. It gives a good taste of a legendary, mythic feel.

For example, the introductory adventure in the book involves the party going after the 'White Lady" a vengeful spirit whose house appears whenever a child is born on a full moon. The newborn infant then dies three days later, taken away by the spirit. So, the race is on for the party.

The rules definitely have some quirks, but I enjoy the little quirks. I like how shields work in the game, they have a 1 in 6 chance of deflecting a blow altogether. The game lets you accomplish a lot of things under a very simple rule set.

Like Omote said, mechanically, there aren't a whole lot of differences in the classes. The feel and tone is quite a bit different however. Well worth checking out. It could use some more spells though for sure.

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

While I'm not a fan of the system the resources such as "medieval" law and the setting itself are great. The setting feels authentic where spooky things are spooky.

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

I've looked at and I definitely dig the feel of what I've seen. I just don't have the time for yet another fantasy setting. I'm sure that I'll try a billion and one games whenever my son is old enought to want to play and, much as I, go through the game-a-week phase.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Thanks for the review DD. Do you know how close this game is to the original books back in the day? I was considering getting a complete set of teh books, but I'd rather have a "game book" size...but I've always heard how nice the system was (the old books). If the system is the same, I'll buy new.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The system is almost exactly the same as the original books. IMO, there is no doubt the newer Dragon Warriors RPG is superior in pretty much every way, including the fact it's all in one tome (Bestiary sold seperately).

~O
VAE VICTUS!

dutch206
Red Cap

Post by dutch206 »

Before you pop for the book, check out the free sample here:
http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=2630

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Thanks for the info, fellas!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

dutch206 wrote:
Before you pop for the book, check out the free sample here:
http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=2630

Dutch, you, sir, are a gentleman.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

I am curious as to this redo as well, but the price is just plain prohibitive.

How is the introductory adventure?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Visit the new BASH Forums!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

AslanC wrote:
I am curious as to this redo as well, but the price is just plain prohibitive.

How is the introductory adventure?

Crap, that's one thing I didn't check. How is the price?

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

$39.99 usd, so as a Canadian I am looking at over $45 for it and that's off ebay with shipping. If I could find it at a lgs it would be probably closer to $50 after taxes.

Really hard to justify that kind of layout for a book.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

AslanC wrote:
$39.99 usd, so as a Canadian I am looking at over $45 for it and that's off ebay with shipping. If I could find it at a lgs it would be probably closer to $50 after taxes.

Really hard to justify that kind of layout for a book.

In this case you *NEED* to buy it off Amazon.ca -- that's what I did and it's in stock right now for $28.95. The only problem with that is the shipping and, if you are like me, you'll end up getting something else to bump the total price past the $39 mark in order to get free shipping out of the deal.

However, this is the best way to get the book IMO if living in Canada.

I picked it up and I was impressed with the layout and the quality of the hardcover (considering this is an imprint of Mongoose after all). Because it heralds back to an older time in gaming history, and because of the evocative feel of the material, I heartily recommend it.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

Thanks for the tip M

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I just checked the US Amazon, and they have it for $26-and-change - not too shabby.

dutch206
Red Cap

Post by dutch206 »

Rigon wrote:
Dutch, you, sir, are a gentleman.

R-

Lies! Scandalous lies!

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

We've been using the DW setting but using the C&C rules for a couple weeks now. Fun, fun stuff.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If you are a fan of teh Dragon Warriors setting, the WIKI just went public the other day. Enjoy.
http://dragonwarriors.wetpaint.com/

~O
VAE VICTUS!

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

So since I am not getting the book until well after GenCon, can anyone tell me how the adventure ends in the book?

PM if you don't want to spoil this for the others.

Pretty please with awesomesauce?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

I love my GF
Surprise surprise I got a copy of it thanks to her
Reading soon. Won't take me away from C&C but I might steal and modify that adventure for my group

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Omote wrote:
If you are a fan of teh Dragon Warriors setting, the WIKI just went public the other day. Enjoy.
http://dragonwarriors.wetpaint.com/

~O

Just picked up Dragon Warriors this week, myself. I'm loving it so far, both the simplicity of the rules and the awesome feel of the setting. The wiki has a bunch of fan house rules, including new character classes for those thinking the official classes are too similar.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

vivsavage
Red Cap

Post by vivsavage »

While C&C might have more consistent rules, there are things in Dragon Warriors that I prefer:

1) hit points increase only very slightly over time, making the game very deadly and making HP less abstract (they aren't a combination of skill, luck, toughness and so forth... they're just a measure of what you can take in physical damage).

2) two stats that I wish C&C used: perception and stealth. Everyone has these stats in DW. They're used all the time no matter what game I'm playing.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

vivsavage wrote:
While C&C might have more consistent rules, there are things in Dragon Warriors that I prefer:

1) hit points increase only very slightly over time, making the game very deadly and making HP less abstract (they aren't a combination of skill, luck, toughness and so forth... they're just a measure of what you can take in physical damage).

2) two stats that I wish C&C used: perception and stealth. Everyone has these stats in DW. They're used all the time no matter what game I'm playing.

Haven't found a group to play DW with yet. But I like it for the two points you gave, plus I like DW's take on armor and shields.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

I grabbed up Dragon Warriors the day it hit my flgs. All the mentioned

goodness, grit, and quirks are spot on. They really stayed true to the original. Mostly layout/arrangement changes, like all the classes are now in the core book.

The Beastiary has a handful of very interesting critters. Coupled with the core book there is plenty of posibilities.

I too have thought of mixing DW and C&C. A good topic for a thread.

Prince Of Darkness, A Sourcebook and Campaign for the Frozen Lands of Glissom is out now.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

I picked up a copy of Dragon Warriors at Gen Con 2009 and set it on my shelf thereafter. Then, sometime in early November, I got bored and decided to give it a read through. I liked it so much that I modded the classes to give the level 8 skills at levels 3, 6, 9, and 12 instead then ran it for the group. We liked it a lot. I will be revisiting this system. I did not use their setting substituting my Celtic Flavored Kyndroff setting instead but the system was a perfect fit.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

vivsavage
Red Cap

Post by vivsavage »

Breakdaddy wrote:
I modded the classes to give the level 8 skills at levels 3, 6, 9, and 12 instead then ran it for the group..

Pretty much everyone does a variant of this. It works very well. DW is an utter delight! I hope everyone checks out its free ezine, Ordo Draconis http://draconismag.com/.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

That first issue is a good one. I liked reading the thoughts of the games authors most of all.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan