Fate system ?

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Fate system ?

Post by Lurker »

This week's bundle of holding is a 'Fate system' bundle.

None of the bundle tempts me, so I won't be getting the bundle.

That said, I've never even heard of the 'Fate system' ... what I read about it I don't completely understand . No traits / attributes, minimal dice rolls "assuming players want to make fewer dice rolls" , stunts to get a mechanical benefit (so much for dice rolls getting in the way), aspects that are assigned during play - how is something assigned during play ?

I don't get it.

Has anyone ever played/ran fate ?

If so, help me understand ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Fate system ?

Post by Traveller »

Fate is a refinement of FUDGE. That said, I've never ran it or played it. However, both the core rules and the Fate Accelerated core rules are available for download here.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

It's a "narrative" system as opposed to the "Goal Oriented" system we're used to. It uses 6 sided dice with + and - symbols on them, 2 each plus 2 blanks. It requires a great deal of engagement and creativity from all involved as you have to narrate how you use a skill, how to add a stunt, and what the results of the die roll are. For example, Nippi wants to attack the werewolf, he has a gun skill of 2 and a stunt for trick shot. The stunt gives him extra dice to roll, the skill gives him a +2 to the total rolled. You start with 4 dice, the stunt adds dice equal to the fate points spent (say 2 for this example). You start with 4 dice normally. So rolling 6 dice and adding 2 Nippi gets 2 +'s, 2 -'s and 2 blanks for a net sum of 0, plus 2 for the gun skill. Final is 2. The target then rolls some appropriate defense but ends up with a total of -1. Nippi wins and describes his action as having banked his shot off a hanging frying pan (trick shot) to hit the werewolf for whatever damage his gun does. You have to do this for each and every roll, so you start to find ways to NOT roll dice. My overall impression of the system is "meh". I am not likely to run it, preferring Cortex for that sort of thing, but I might play it again, maybe. It's been a while, so I may be sketchy on the specifics, but I think I have the gist. Maybe someone who likes the system should chime in with an opposing viewpoint.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

The Fate dice call to me like no other. But every time I sit down to read the Fate Accelerated rules, my mind turns into a pretzel and shuts down. Based on my limited play experience, I agree it takes engaged players to make it sing. I found the Apocalypse engine much easier to understand and leaned in that direction when picking non-D&D based games. But, man, I seriously love the Fate dice. I dip my toe back in the water about once a year. My next attempt will no doubt be the Dresden Files Accelerated rules set.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

I don't have a lot of experience with the Fate system but I ran a Dresden Files inspired game set in current day Austin and really really liked it. People call it a narrative system as if that would somehow exclude action. I am not of the opinion that a game has to fit in one or the other box. I think story and action can work hand in hand. When both aspects are combined the whole experience is made better.

The greatest strength (I thought) was the advice on building a campaign setting that inspires meaningful and connected conflicts and the advice for structuring the flow or pace of the action. It is a great cognitive frame to plot out ideas into Scenes, Sessions, and Scenarios. By following their suggestions I was amazed at how my little adventure practically wrote itself. I went from feeling initially overwhelmed to feeling confident about what I was going to do and how it would be done. That was one of the first games I ever ran and by following the system suggestions the whole thing practically wrote itself. Fate can fit any genre and any scale from a personal story to something epic. I would recommend to anyone but I think it is particularly great for new or beginning game masters.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Thanks

I still don't think it fit my feel and style of play, but at least now I understand it a little better. I can't see myself running it, so I'll pass on the bundle

That said, even if I don't get it, the bundle seems like a great buy for anyone interested in it.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society