7th Sea 2e

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

7th Sea 2e

Post by Lurker »

Sooooo, the latest "Bundle of Holding' tempted me into getting 7th Sea. However, I didn't realize it was a 'new' version of the game and rules mechanics ....

I had a couple of the old books , I like the rules good enough and loved the setting. I think I even have the 'AD&D 3.5e' conversions in pdf, so was hoping for an updated setting etc.

It looks to be a whole new rewrite of the rules, and I'm trying to wrap my head around them ... I do like some of how the character is built - your 2 backgrounds give you skills advantages etc, and then you have points to buy other skills advantages etc.

However, I'm not sure I like the idea of the risk, approach, consequences & dice pool you roll being used for 'raises' and 'damage' being narrative effects instead of 'hp' type damage. Especially, the 'raises' portion of the rules, each dice or combination of dice that makes a 10 or above is 1 success (so a roll of a 6 & 7 = 13, 1 success/raise but the 3 is wasted and can't be added to the other additional dice rolled. It just seems to me to be more complicated than it needs to . Also, the whole resolution and narrative looks to be a little to nebulas and fluid.

Of course that is from my first look at the rules and never seeing the game (or other game based on the same mechanics). In practice it may be better than I think.

So, my question is, has anyone played this one or a game using the same rules ? How was it ?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: 7th Sea 2e

Post by Treebore »

Afraid I have no experience with this game.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

John Wick had some free preview downloads out there for a while. They may still be there. I looked at those and decided that the revised rules didn't look like my thing. Your "risk, approach, consequences & dice pool" observation is what killed it for me. I love the setting and still have my 1E core rulebooks, but I just don't think that 2E looks like my thing.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I had, or maybe still have, the 1st edition of 7th Sea. It has a really interesting world history and all but I did not find it written clearly enough to be GM friendly or even figure out how it was to be ran. My second ex was a major fan of the game though from when she had played it which is why I picked the rules up. Not seen 2nd ed but I can only hope they made it a bit more user friendly to run.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Afraid I have no experience with this game.
:shock: :shock: I have a game that you haven't played .... I didn't know that was even possible ! ;)

I may have to run it for my girls just so I can say I ran a game you have never played or ran :lol:
finarvyn wrote:John Wick had some free preview downloads out there for a while. They may still be there. I looked at those and decided that the revised rules didn't look like my thing. Your "risk, approach, consequences & dice pool" observation is what killed it for me. I love the setting and still have my 1E core rulebooks, but I just don't think that 2E looks like my thing.
Rgr that. I think it took a good idea and went too far. Sure, have a dice pool, have every 10 be an increased effect to the success. However, from my read through it takes it a step or 2 beyond that.

Especially the heavy narrative element of it. It isn't this is what I do, does it succeeds, it is this is what I plan on doing, now the narrative changes so I use a success to do smoothing more/different and back and forth ... then the damage is narrative elements and (some of which benefit the one damaged) instead of HP or negatives to the rolls ... too much

All that said, I do love the setting, and even what they did with the 2e setting, advance of time line etc. Taking it to after a magic fueled '30 year war' scenario (not sure how long the war lasted) that destroyed the setting's version of Germany. No matter what else can be said, it is a great setting .

I even like how they do a background / point build of the character and the dice pool to roll for success. I think there is meat on the bone to have it be a good game, but it just needs to pull back on some of the other changes
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:Afraid I have no experience with this game.
:shock: :shock: I have a game that you haven't played .... I didn't know that was even possible ! ;)

I may have to run it for my girls just so I can say I ran a game you have never played or ran :lol:
That is correct. I own a couple of 1E books, but have never ran or played it, despite having been to several conventions Wick was also at. Strangely, when 2E had been released, he gave a seminar about it, but didn't run any games at the Con.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.