View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Engines & Empires Core Rules 
Henchman

Post Engines & Empires Core Rules
Hey folks—

Wow, it's been so long since I posted on the Troll Lord forums that I had re-activate my user account. (Yeesh… where does the time go?) Anyway—I know you guys like old-school (seeing as how C&C is more or less single-handedly responsible for a little thing called the OSR taking off way back when), and I know that at least some of you like steampunk (I haven't gotten a chance to check out Victorious yet, but I probably should!), so I figured I'd drop a couple of links here.

Engines & Empires Core Rules
World of Gaia Campaign Setting

Once upon a time, I'd released Engines & Empires as a campaign setting for other OSR games. Since then, a bunch of cool OSR stuff came out, including lots and lots of "third wave" games that just use B/X as a chassis to do their own unique thing. Eventually, I figured that I had to do the same (as well as incorporate some of the awesome innovations which have been released into Open Game Content—it makes for a vast improvement)!

Plus, running several year-plus-long dungeon-crawl/hex-crawl games showed me exactly what kinds of rules were worth keeping versus discarding. Engines & Empires is very much focused on dungeon-crawl and wilderness adventures that just happen to be set against an Industrial Age backdrop. (That means that a lot of the basic rules are going to be really familiar, basically—and expertly, har de har har—bog-standard. So if you just want to see how I handle the steampunk science, skip straight to chapter four in the core rules.) :)

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:23 pm
Ulthal

Post Re: Engines & Empires Core Rules
Thank you for writing and sharing this. Will post some thoughts later.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:35 pm
Henchman

Post Re: Engines & Empires Core Rules
Thanks, I'll look forward to it. :D

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]