Starfinder

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
finarvyn
Global Moderator

Starfinder

Post by finarvyn »

Looks like there is going to be a scifi version of Pathfinder..
http://paizo.com/starfinder/

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not a big fan of Pathfinder/d20/3E because of its rules bloat, but I do like the concept of a class & level based scifi RPG. Not much news out there yet that I've found, but it sounds a lot like what I wish StarSiege had been...
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Starfinder

Post by alcyone »

Meanwhile we have Tales of the Space Princess, White Star, X-Plorers, Stars Without Number.

I am sure Pathfinder can support a decent SF game, but it sounds like it will still be as heavy as PF if it's to allow you to just drop in Orcs.

I am still anxiously awaiting DwD Studios' "FrontierSpace", which is promising to be a more consistent Star Frontiers using their Star Frontiers-inspired D00Lite system.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I think Victorious would make a great foundation for a class & level sci-fi system.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I will not be negative, as that is not my style.

My favorite sci fi RPG is and always shall be D6 star wars. I was so excited when WEG open sourced the D6 system. It captures the essence of sci fi role playing so well!

I wish you luck in all your sci fi RPG endeavors.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

An interesting direction. I’m more apt to like this as science-fantasy, rather than science-fiction. Though they’ve said that Starfinder will be backwards-compatible, I wonder if this is their way of doing a new edition, since the Pathfinder model is pretty much built on hewing to a past edition while providing millions of options, which puts a number of barriers on revising the game with another edition.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'll likely do with it what I do with Pathfinder, buy the adventures and setting material to use for my own ends. I already have Sci FI systems I like far better than the overly complex D20/Pathfinder system to use. If I want level based I can use Stars Without Number, or do like Rigon said and adapt Victorious or even AA.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

I wish Troll Lord Games would do a Kickstarter for Star SIEGE. Using AA and Victorious would make for an interesting adaption. I like White Star also.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I think Victorious is the perfect vehicle for a StarSIEGE reboot. It is class and skill based. DMMike, make it so.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

jdizzy001 wrote:I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I will not be negative, as that is not my style.

My favorite sci fi RPG is and always shall be D6 star wars. I was so excited when WEG open sourced the D6 system. It captures the essence of sci fi role playing so well!

I wish you luck in all your sci fi RPG endeavors.
Most of the time, when I want to play Sci-Fi/Space Opera, it is with the d6 SWRPG. When I want something other than Star Wars, though, I have enjoyed digging out the Star Frontiers stuff best. Now that I own a copy of White Star, thanks to Mythoard, I would be willing to give that a shot and incorporate most everything sci-fi (Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Star Frontiers, etc.) into it.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I would like to see something like Star Frontiers get a re-release. While sci-fi is not my gaming of choice, there are some games that were/are fun enough despite their time.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

serleran wrote:I would like to see something like Star Frontiers get a re-release. While sci-fi is not my gaming of choice, there are some games that were/are fun enough despite their time.
One of my most favorite PCs ever was a Vrusk from Star Frontiers. It was one of the few times I played instead of refereed. Thus, the fond memories. :D

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Zudrak wrote:
serleran wrote:I would like to see something like Star Frontiers get a re-release. While sci-fi is not my gaming of choice, there are some games that were/are fun enough despite their time.
One of my most favorite PCs ever was a Vrusk from Star Frontiers. It was one of the few times I played instead of refereed. Thus, the fond memories. :D
Me too.

I think all of us talked about Star Frontiers some years ago, but anyway - there is something about the look and feel of this version of a sci-fi RPG that hooked me more than any other game out there (although recently Stars Without Number totally blew me away)!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Treebore wrote:I'll likely do with it what I do with Pathfinder, buy the adventures and setting material to use for my own ends.
Just curious if you steal ideas or convert to other systems. I ask because I bought the Emerald Spire book for Pathfinder, but would rather run it in C&C or 5E and have to decide how to do it.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

finarvyn wrote:
Treebore wrote:I'll likely do with it what I do with Pathfinder, buy the adventures and setting material to use for my own ends.
Just curious if you steal ideas or convert to other systems. I ask because I bought the Emerald Spire book for Pathfinder, but would rather run it in C&C or 5E and have to decide how to do it.
It depends on what I like about the given product. I've converted so much 3E and 4E to C&C I can do it by just looking at a given stat block. I don't expect converting FROM 5E to be any harder. In fact, I think it will be easier than converting from 3E or 4E.

Now converting from PF to 5E will be a bit of a challenge the first few times, but once I "get it" I don't think it will be overly burdensome. Obviously more work than converting to C&C, but not so bad as to not be worth the effort.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Rhuvein wrote:
Zudrak wrote:
Me too.

I think all of us talked about Star Frontiers some years ago, but anyway - there is something about the look and feel of this version of a sci-fi RPG that hooked me more than any other game out there (although recently Stars Without Number totally blew me away)!

:)
We probably did. Our collective memories being what they are (recalling the distant past more than the recent past!), we will do this again in 5 - 10 years. :lol:

-- E. Gary Gygax