Kings of War by Mantic

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Kings of War by Mantic

Post by TheMetal1 »

Last one for now...

Here is the link: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/ ... f-war.html

I've collected a lot of miniature games over the years, especially Games Workshop stuff. But for some reason, I never picked up any of the Warhammer Fantasy Battle games (versions 1 thru 8) When I did decide on a fantasy miniature game, it was Battlore 1st edition I went with. Primarily because it had dwarves and gobbos in historical Europe. Secondly, Days of Wonder was touting lizardman armies, elf armies, etc. That never materialized, even with the transfer of IP to Fantasy Flight Games. Now with 2nd Edition its' in the runebound unverse, but I'm not interested in it (though I do have the video game).

GW decided to ditch the Fantasy ruleset, annoying many gamers, and IMO designed to destroy the Warhammer IP called Age of Sigmar. I say that tounge in cheek, as I've never played it. Though there is a video out there of someone burning all his GW fantasy miniatures in protest of the change.

But that's where Mantic comes in. No balance rules? Hate the updates every year to the Fantasy Game and monthly/quarterly nerfing of your army when new army list for "X" comes out? Tourament Circut boring with everyone playing the same grouping and the pay to win system?

Well then, try Kings of War. The rulebook is in it's second edition. Mantic isn't obsessive about what miniatures you use. Though I suppose no FLGS is, unless it's a sanctioned GW tournament. But the attitude is nice. As my FLGS has a lot of people moving toward it, I decided to pick it up. I've read the book and watched a battle report on youtube between an undead and dwarf army. The rules are very easy to grasp and the game seems a lot of fun.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrVW1MB7Wc
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKU0HgMW4QI

I'm pondering fielding an Orc Army, as I have my LOTR miniatures - Orc, Gobos and other things waiting to get on table, along with some Reaper Trolls and Giants that might be of use.

Anyone try this out? Thoughts? Treebore - do you need to curse again?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Kings of War by Mantic

Post by Treebore »

I did back this KS by Mantic, and have been receiving my components over the last couple of weeks...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... ings-quest
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Very nice. I saw this before and just went to the website to check it out again. Reminds me of Descent and the D&D Adventure System, but probably intended to invoke the memory of Warhammer Quest, as Mantic is want to do these days (IMHO).

Looks like a good deal in the Kickstarter, just for the miniatures alone. Have you tried it out yet?

In regards to kings of war, I do have my first army started - Orcs. It's around 1,000 points. 2 Regiments of Orcs, a Regiment of Trolls, 2 Giants and I'm on the fence with either a 3rd Giant, A Troll Maraudern (and possible a troop of Goblin Archers or Orc Archers) or a Troll King which is in the new "Uncharted Empires" Book.

I picked up UE yesterday, at the FLGS, where I guy just finished up a game playing the new Night Stalker army. He just used a bunch of his 40K Tyranids to do it as they pretty much match the shadow pics in UE.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

No, I haven't tried it. They have yet to get all the components to me.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The main components, IE the core boxed set for the game, finally arrived today. Lets just say that looking at the components, and a quick read through of the rules, I can see why the put the word "Quest" in the name of a the game. This is STRONGLY reminding me of a couple of other games I have played with the word "Quest" in it, and that is a very, very good thing...