Mongoose Traveller Core Beta

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Mongoose Traveller Core Beta

Post by alcyone »

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/156017/Tr ... a-Playtest

It's a beta, but you get a $20 voucher for the real book when it comes out. Looks good to me, but every edition of Traveller looks fine to me so YMMV.

I especially like the character creation flowchart.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Mongoose Traveller Core Beta

Post by Treebore »

I bought it tonight. I like pretty much all of what I see, and am definitely anxious to see where the Beta test feedback takes the final draft. Its also pretty cool that we will get a look at several other drafts of other books such as High Guard, and gear book, etc... I am also very happy with the printer friendly version of the rule book, and hope to see it in the final PDF bundle.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Data I have is that ship design paradigm is completely changed and not compatible with any prior version. I'll wait to chip in until that is verified.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:Data I have is that ship design paradigm is completely changed and not compatible with any prior version. I'll wait to chip in until that is verified.
That is true. It appears that they will be using the system they used for the rewrite of their vehicles book, etc... which is fine with me. As for saying its completely incompatible? While its not done the same way, the end results are still the same, and you can always use an older version you like better. Like for ships I used MegaTraveller, with all the errata, to design my ships. If they work all the bugs out of their new Vehicle design system, which I am sure is part of the goal for this new "edition", I will definitely give the new ship system a try, because as much as I like the MegaTraveller system, it is time intensive, so would very much like a streamlined and faster system.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:Data I have is that ship design paradigm is completely changed and not compatible with any prior version. I'll wait to chip in until that is verified.
That is true. It appears that they will be using the system they used for the rewrite of their vehicles book, etc... which is fine with me. As for saying its completely incompatible? ...
I was afraid of that. I hate that sloppy system. They are not compatible with each other in the least. While you can create similar outcomes there is no interoperability between the two systems.

Well, that simplifies my decision. No 2ed Ed purchases for me and my players.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:
Treebore wrote: While you can create similar outcomes there is no interoperability between the two systems.
I don't get what you mean. When has there ever been a ship building system fully compatible between the different versions of Traveller? Classic doesn't work with MegaTraveller, Mongoose Traveller doesn't work with the prior versions I used. I've skipped the other versions of Traveller so maybe there is cross compatibility in those, but of the ones I use, you have to choose which one. Like I said, up until now I have preferred Mega Travellers system. All the systems have given me the end results I have needed. I know how much armor there is, I know what Jump and Maneuver Drive they are, I know their cargo tonnage, I know their weapons, and so on... The only difference I know of is the new version gets rid of structural damage. For now. I suspect that may be making a come back before the final version goes to print.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Another possibility that occurred to me, is they are doing a "Companion" book for the new edition, which looks to be a catch all for alternative rules. So they may be putting a ship building system to your liking in that.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote: I don't get what you mean. When has there ever been a ship building system fully compatible between the different versions of Traveller?
I mean it isn't compatible with the current Mongoose traveller rules. (and isn't of a similar paradigm to ANY of the rule systems) They won't be putting out any ship rules that are compatible with the current version in any of the 2nd Ed books. I just verified that.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:
Treebore wrote: I don't get what you mean. When has there ever been a ship building system fully compatible between the different versions of Traveller?
I mean it isn't compatible with the current Mongoose traveller rules. (and isn't of a similar paradigm to ANY of the rule systems) They won't be putting out any ship rules that are compatible with the current version in any of the 2nd Ed books. I just verified that.

Well, that doesn't exactly bother me, because I didn't use them anyways. I still use Mega Traveller rules. For ship builds. For ship combat I don't use any of the rules, I've put together my own house ruled hodge podge cobbled together from Classic and MegaTraveller, with one or two new ideas from Mongoose possibly being in there. I don't recall, since I put them all together at least 5 years ago. So I guess you can say I am used to not using all the rules of a new system, especially when I have ways I like better to do it.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:

Well, that doesn't exactly bother me, because I didn't use them anyways. I still use Mega Traveller rules. For ship builds. For ship combat I don't use any of the rules, I've put together my own house ruled hodge podge cobbled together from Classic and MegaTraveller, with one or two new ideas from Mongoose possibly being in there. I don't recall, since I put them all together at least 5 years ago. So I guess you can say I am used to not using all the rules of a new system, especially when I have ways I like better to do it.
I'm actually using the SRD and moving the ship rules over to an MT style system (but not as complex) e.g. no drive letters but based on tonnage of ship formula. 3d6 attributes and D20ish skill rolls system. It'll be a for familiar game for my FRPG players.

House Rules

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

I bought the Beta and for the most part liked the changes made. Few small details that were odd.

I will reserve judgement for the ship system until I get to look at it. Same goes for the vehicle creation system. Neither are in the core rule book.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Daniel wrote:I bought the Beta and for the most part liked the changes made. Few small details that were odd.

I will reserve judgement for the ship system until I get to look at it. Same goes for the vehicle creation system. Neither are in the core rule book.
I looked at the new rules. They are not enough improved for me to dump a new load of $ on. Over the 1st Edition. The ship design is similar to the current vehicle design rules someone at FFE told me.

House Rules