Ogre Pocket Edition

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Ogre Pocket Edition

Post by TheMetal1 »

Brought my Ogre Pocket Edition to work about a week ago. A fellow gamer works with me and we decided to play a game of it in the break area during our lunch break. He'd never played before and I only a handful of times. I was the defender with all the infantry, howitzers and heavy tanks, he had the lone ogre. Took us only a short time and few rules consultation, and we were off. Had few folks come by hearing the roll of dice wanting to know what the sound was. Lots of fun, I got nearly wiped out before our time was up, victory to ogre.

It's a great light war game and recommend. Designers Edition is well worth it too, but the price is right for the pocket edition - At $2.95 you really can't go wrong.

Here is the link to the game info on the Steve Jackson Games website if you want to know more. http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/pocketogre/

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Ogre Pocket Edition

Post by Relaxo »

Ogre was my first "real" game. ("real" being not monopoly, sorry, chutes & ladders, etc). I found it right in my formative years around 9 or 10 years old and I was psyched to grab this pcket editon again.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I never saw it back in the day. Bought the retro-edition. Very satisfying, and the price was right. For better or worse, I didn't buy the big version.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

tylermo wrote:I never saw it back in the day. Bought the retro-edition. Very satisfying, and the price was right. For better or worse, I didn't buy the big version.
I first played the pocket edition way back in the 1980's. Then graduated to the mini's set. One of the reasons I never got in on the Kickstarter was because of the paper/foam 3D model decision. They just didn't look all that great. It is one of the few regrets I have had in gaming purchases. After it was all said and done just the shear amount of cool stuff you got went way beyond the price tag. I'm sure I would've gotten used to the new models and just enjoyed the game.

Oh well, I'm more of a Car Wars guy anyway. Time to save up for the Car Wars Kickstarter that will happen in the future.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Didn't get Ogre until the Miniatures Rules came out. My first microgames were Helltank, Helltank Destroyer, Rivets, and Car Wars.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Sir Ironside wrote:Oh well, I'm more of a Car Wars guy anyway. Time to save up for the Car Wars Kickstarter that will happen in the future.
Ogre is fun, but am definitely waiting to hear about the Car Wars Kickstarter. I saw that the latest edition of Car Wars will be coming out this month (October). Looks to be in a Munchkin Size box. Here is the links:

http://www.sjgames.com/car-wars/

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/Octo ... e_Big_Time

http://www.sjgames.com/car-wars/games/classic/

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Sir Ironside wrote:I first played the pocket edition way back in the 1980's.... I never got in on the Kickstarter...It is one of the few regrets I have had in gaming purchases.
I've seen the collector's edition at my FLGS, so it is available retail.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

One of my friends had Car Wars back in the day. Can't remember if I ever got to play it. I was always interested in the material, and it looks like I'll have a chance to revisit the game.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

tylermo wrote:One of my friends had Car Wars back in the day. Can't remember if I ever got to play it. I was always interested in the material, and it looks like I'll have a chance to revisit the game.
It is like gladiator style combat, IN CARS!

Plus, unlike similar, combat games (Warhammer, Heavy Gear etc.) it doesn't have 100+ pages of rules.

If you want to get into it, I'd get used to the basic game then expand outwards to your taste. I personally never liked the expanded rules for things like air vehicles, military vehicles, boats etc. I preferred to just stay in the confines of the intended game and keep it car vs. car. Though if that other stuff floats your boat then that is cool.

Eventually you have to get the Uncle Alberts catalogues... just because they are awesome!

My suggestion is pick one of the sets from 5th edition and play that. It is an excellent and cheap way to see if Car Wars is a game you'd like. (Note that the scale of 5th is larger than regular Car Wars. It means that the playing surface is smaller, but the scale means that you could use Hot Wheel cars as a playing piece rather than a cardboard piece.)
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Got the pocket edition as well. Such a cool re-release. My first exposure to Ogre, other than ads in Dragon, was an old PC game on my Apple IIGS.