RuneQuest 6 Bundle of Holding

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

RuneQuest 6 Bundle of Holding

Post by TheMetal1 »

Just picked up RuneQuest 6 as part of the Bundle of Holding. I have RQII (Mongoose) and Elric - but have yet to try those out. Anyone have RQ6? Thoughts on it?

Seemed like a good deal - 5 PDFs for $17.

NJPDX
Hlobane Orc

Re: RuneQuest 6 Bundle of Holding

Post by NJPDX »

I jumped on the bundle of holding mostly because I've never done any d100 gaming but I've long been curious about Runequest. So after spending some time poring over the book, I can say that it seems like a very well written, edited and organized tome, but I'm not sure if I grok some of its more fiddly bits. Combat in particular looks like it would take awhile to get into the flow of and I would need to run a few mock battles to get the hang of it.

As an aside, I'd heard that OpenQuest might be a good starting point for BRP noobies and I picked that PDF about a week ago just so I could compare the two and so I feel like I'm able to wrap my head around its nuances and idiosyncrasies much quicker. Who knows, maybe someday I'll even get a chance to play in a d100 game and be able to do more than just guess or speculate.

The rules were a bit of a revelation for somebody who has really only ever played D&D, retroclones and games in the d20 family and it made me want to see it in action.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

BRP is probably my favourite system. Tried and true.

My problem is with Mongoose as a company that has prevented me from buying anything from them, so I have no idea how different it would be. :(
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

NJPDX
Hlobane Orc

Post by NJPDX »

So far as I can tell, RQ6 is now under license to The Design Mechanism. I don't see any mention of Mongoose on the pdf I have.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Sir Ironside, why don't you like Mongoose? If you dont want to talk about it, no worries. Im curious because Ive had good experiences with the company and their products, not that I have extensively dealt with either.

I dont think Mongoose is the licensee for RQ anymore, but Im not sure.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Breakdaddy wrote:Sir Ironside, why don't you like Mongoose? If you dont want to talk about it, no worries. Im curious because Ive had good experiences with the company and their products, not that I have extensively dealt with either.
I know, logically, that my distaste for the company is my problem and most likely doesn't resonate as well with how the company is today, but it was a series of poor customer service (very poor) and garbage books. See how they handled the whole Lone Wolf fiasco for a good example.

There are just too much competition out there for my money that all it takes is some real bad experiences for me to write off a company forever, with little to no regret.

I'll say it totally sucks that Mongoose is doing Traveller. I'd love to support the Traveller line but as long as Mongoose does it I'll never buy.
Breakdaddy wrote:I dont think Mongoose is the licensee for RQ anymore, but Im not sure.
I'm pretty sure they don't but they do have their "Legends" line that is its replacement.

P.S. I hate Steve Jackson Games even more, and that one is purely on a personal level. I loved GURPS, OGRE, Car Wars and Illuminati. But, they'll never see another penny from me for the rest of time and I'd be a complete asshole and dance on their grave if the company ever went bankrupt. True to form they just seem to get bigger and stronger, my only hope is for the Munchkin bubble to burst before they can truly diversify.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Runequest 6 is not under the Mongoose banner, they completely parted ways. Same with Lone Wolf, so now we will see if it was really Mongoose that was the problem, or if its the Lone Wolf owner. So far its looking like it was the owner, considering how slow everything is moving, since so much of the work is already done.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Dang. Sounds like that was a sweet deal. I have Openquest, Mongoose RQ2 and the rebranded Legend stuff. I have yet to grab RQ6; it is supposed to be a clarified and streamlined version of Legend/RQ2, with the combat refined and magic totally revamped. One of the main movements from Openquest and others is to cut the laundry list of skills, which I like. Openquest has a faster combat, more d20 like as far as abstract hit points. RQ2/Legend has hit points by body parts, with a host of combat manuevers. Combat is crunchy but doesn't drag on...because it's over for better or for worse in a few rounds. No kidding. Players both dread and love the combat, but as a GM it really stinks to have a bunch of monsters/npc's to keep track of when it comes to injured body locations. They advise, wisely so, that you use the general hit point rules and scrap hit location for minor creatures and save the hit location stuff for big baddies and major villain npc's. I like how sorcery magic allows for customizing duration, and effects.

From what I can see, RQ6 looks like a beautiful book. The collector in me wants it, but the pragmatic side of me sees little need. I may just compromise with my two natures and grab the pdf.