Numenera

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
redwullf
Ulthal

Numenera

Post by redwullf »

All hail the great and powerful Monte! Numenera is sure to be something special. First glimpses and initial discussions hint at an amazing world and ruleset.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Numenera

Post by alcyone »

I did their preorder deal where you could pay up front for a pre-order at your FLGS (who were gracious enough to help set me up even though they had no such process in place) and send in your receipt for a PDF.

I like it.

The conceit of walking around discovering and figuring out how to use technology long forgotten sounds very much like Metamorphosis Alpha or Gamma World, but this is a brighter, more verdant apocalypse.

It has 3 class types, an 11 point challenge rating scale, and 3 attributes, which each serve as a hit point type "pool" that is the battery for your efforts, which can be dialed up if you want to take the hit to your pool. GM rolls no dice, but can "intrude". Intrusions are worth xp for the players. They are basically places where the GM senses he or she can make things more interesting or difficult. "Oh, 10 bandits are attacking you? 10 that you can see. 5 more pop out from behind the rocks."

It's not always clear to me what is an intrusion and what was part of the scenario already but I suppose that will generate much discussion. Note that despite the sound of it, this is not in the indie storygame camp, the GM is firmly in charge of things, just has less work to do.

The world, the Ninth World, is unsurprisingly, the ninth in a series of worlds, that has forgotten what came before, and it is "a billion years in the future," presumably of Earth, or something like it. When you are talking about a billion years, it probably doesn't matter. The core race is human but there are options to include other races. There are no elves, dwarves, etc. and the feel is very fantastic without becoming surreal.

The art is colorful and bright and well-done and overall it reminded me of another well-done Monte Cook book, Arcana Evolved, though he himself says Ptolus, which I haven't played, was more of the inspiration on how to present the material.

Along with the core book, you can get a player's book which is the same as the core, just the first 3 sections, and there exists fiction to get you on the correct page (also interspersed through the book without ruining it as a reference; indeed, it's heavily cross-referenced in the margins.)

There are five adventure scenarios in the core book and at least one book to be available that has multiple scenarios.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

redwullf
Ulthal

Re: Numenera

Post by redwullf »

And it is good...very good.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member