My houserule site is moving

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
csperkins1970
Ulthal

My houserule site is moving

Post by csperkins1970 »

Hey all,
My C&C site is moving from Angelfire (because of their crappy customer service and because some web filters think Angelfire sites are loaded with malware) to GoDaddy.

My new site is:
http://www.adnd3egame.com/cnc.htm

My homebrew campaign gameworld for C&C is found at:
http://www.adnd3egame.com/gailecnc.htm

Happy gaming!
Chris
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Gaelethon
Skobbit

Re: My houserule site is moving

Post by Gaelethon »

Thanks for giving us the new link. I love your work.

RAD Colin
Skobbit

Post by RAD Colin »

Thanks for the heads-up, Chris. I routinely check your page to see if AD&D3e materia has been produced/updated, so keep up the good work. :)

Colin
Radioactive Ape Designs - Award-nominated publishers of Atomic Highway and other fine RPG publications!

Galannor
Mist Elf

Post by Galannor »

Thank you so much, Chris! I really enjoy your work, and I'm playing extensively with my group with your AD&D 3 ed: great system and great campaign setting!
G.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Thanks guys! I've been working (ever so slowly) on Unearthed Arcana and will (eventually) post what I've done.

I've made a few changes to the site, such as removing the Greyhawk content and giving it its own page. I've also cross-linked my pages a little better.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

thanks for the update. Your work is very inspirational, and I'm glad to have it in my bookmarks.
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Neothera
Skobbit

Post by Neothera »

I like what you've done with the new primeless version. I can't wait to try it out with my group.
Thanks.

Durn
Henchman

AD&D3

Post by Durn »

Hi csperkins.
I've said it in other threads on other forums, but I think AD&D3 is a real treasure. Although I haven't yet, I'm always scheming to start playing it. (I usually play 4e D&D) I recently downloaded the new Primeless pdf, and I wondered if you might comment on the change and any other major changes you made in the most recent iteration. I understand that some people dislike the prime mechanic in C&C (though other do!), and I wonder what made you move away from it in your home game.
Thanks for your time, and I look forward to seeing the completed Unearthed Arcana!
cheers,
Durn

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Hi Durn,
My brother and I are both running games and both noticed that characters either rocked at making saving throws/ability checks or sucked. His players, more than mine, didn't like that the Prime bonus totally overshadowed ability score bonuses and, at low levels, level bonuses (the bonus you get to die rolls based on your level).
By getting rid of primes and lowering the Challenge Base to 13 I think that characters are more well-rounded and that saving throw/ability checks fall into line with what they were in 3rd edition (this is where most of my players are migrating from). At the same time, ability score modifiers and level bonuses to checks mean a lot more, as do racial modifiers. To offset the removal of primes, all humans now get a +1 to saves/ability checks across the board due to the adaptability of humankind. So far it's been working out for my group.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Thanks for all your work Chris. I just finished running my players thru the Ruins of Myth Drannor, and we had so much fun using your Wild Magic tables. One player kept his polymorphed Dark Elf form in the end as well when a choice to return to his surface form was offered. :)

L.S.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Cool. We had fun with Wild Magic too. One player wound up nearly killing the entire party when, instead of casting sleep on a nearby enemy, cast a fireball that caught most of the party in its radius. Oof!

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

csperkins1970 wrote:Cool. We had fun with Wild Magic too. One player wound up nearly killing the entire party when, instead of casting sleep on a nearby enemy, cast a fireball that caught most of the party in its radius. Oof!
LOL. the pc's / critters had MANY mishaps in my game thanks to that table ;)

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Here's a little rules clarification for Surprise (this came up in my brother's campaign). The changes are incorporated into my "primeless" version of AD&D3 (which is the system I'm now using).

Surprise: A surprised party is caught unprepared, becoming aware of their opponent a moment before he strikes. In such circumstances the non-surprised combatants have an immediate advantage over the other, surprised, combatants. A group that is aware of another’s presence cannot be surprised. If a party can be surprised by opponents who are not attempting an ambush (for example, a party of adventurers turning the corner of a dungeon and stumbling into a band of trolls), each combatant can make a perception check in order to avoid being surprised. Those failing the Challenge Base “13” check are surprised and cannot act during the surprise round. Those who succeed may roll initiative and act during the surprise round.

When one group is trying to catch their opponents unaware, this perception check is an opposed check against the ambushers’ stealth check. In such instances, the members of the potentially unaware party roll perception checks opposed by the ambushing party’s stealth check. Any party member whose perception check equals or exceeds the ambushing party’s stealth check gets to roll initiative and act during the surprise round. When rolling the ambushing party’s stealth check, the DM should use the least stealthy member of that party’s check to determine the effectiveness of their ambush.

In most instances the penalties for being surprised or unaware are the same. Both surprised and unaware opponents lose their dexterity bonus and shield bonus to armor class until they act. Both surprised and unaware opponents cannot act during the surprise round. Thieves and assassins gain a +2 bonus “to hit” surprised opponents and may sneak attack them for added damage. Thieves and assassins gain a +4 bonus “to hit” unaware opponents and may make sneak attacks (or death attacks, if assassins) against such opponents.

papercut
Red Cap

Post by papercut »

Very nice update! It seems to be rather complete, mature and final now. It has been a multi-year process. Congratulations!

papercut
Red Cap

Post by papercut »

Chris,

I really believe your new primeless system is special. The 1e TSR material is extra icing on the cake to me (started with 2e myself). Even though your system is strong enough to fully stand on its own I can understand why you have yet to really promoted it. Being lowkey has its advantages.

That being said, have you ever thought of making a OGL "microlite" adnd3? One that strips away all the TSR stuff and leaves just your work. To me, the PHB handles many quirks of AD&D/SRD and resolves them in a novel way with broad compatibility. If the legal notices ever come from WOTC, it would be a shame for your system to disappear.

BTW, I am going to be starting up a Saturday morning Skype game with your PHB soon. This is to be eventually mixed with some 2e goodness matched with the TL M&T (and eventually 2e MM).

papercut
Red Cap

Post by papercut »

One final question. How do you handle primse for monsters, especially with saving throws. I know in the past you told me that AD&D3 is best suited for C&C critters, but with the advent of the removal of primes, how does this affect using the M&T and such. Keeping primes at +5 or +6 makes them too strong, removing the primes makes them too weak when compared to PCs (this may a design feature).

Should I used 2e monsters instead? 3e due to their having stated attributes? In the end this may be a small thing, but I am curious of your thoughts.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Thanks for the kind words Papercut.

If I ever finish my Unearthed Arcana/DMG hybrid (which has turned out to be my CKG) I'll have to work on my Monster Manual before working on an OGL version of my game. That said, I'd happily share my .doc files with anyone who wants to undertake that task! ;)

Now that I've ditched primes, I have the liberty to assign bonuses to critters on-the-fly. They all gain their "level bonus" to saving throws and use the same Challenge Base (13) that players do. As I convert the 2nd edition AD&D critters to my game (as I've been doing when I run my game) I note typical ability modifiers on a race-by-race basis. Also note that a good deal of critters have immunities to various spells and effects that players don't get.

Neothera
Skobbit

Post by Neothera »

My group has played a couple of sessions using the new primeless version and we're not missing the primes at all. We like how ability scores themselves have more importance now.

We've been using 3rd edition ability stats for the monsters saving throws and ability checks (with some adjustments) and it seems to be working out well. I would love to see some of your converted monsters, is there any chance of you posting some?

Again, great work Chris.

papercut
Red Cap

Post by papercut »

Wow, the UA has changed ALOT since I printed it out in 2008! I really like the new content and am curious what you hope to add to it. If possible random encounter tables would be a nice addition. I can't recall if the 2e MM has such tables, if not, then placing them in the UA would be best. Having/carrying around three books- your PHB, UA and the the 2e MM seems to be a good travelling package (if not a touch on the heavy side). Also of note, Andred of Albans on this board seems to have already scanned and converted some (all?) of the 2e monster to C&C. His work might be able to assist your efforts.

Your new site adnd3game seems pretty nifty, if I can make a suggestion though- your most current phb is buried about three levels deep on the site. It should be showcased on the front page IMO. It might be that you want to keep things a bit obfuscated as the uninformed might not know where to go to find the goodies. :twisted:

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

UA is turning into a DMG/CKG. At this point it's over 250 pages long. I'm slowly adding DMG material (encounter tables, XP rules, etc) and formatting the beast of a thing. If I ever finish it'll be beautiful!

Now that the primeless rules are my standard rules (and have gotten good reviews from people who have test-drived them) I'll probably re-arrange the site to reflect that.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Holy WOW!

Had I not already fallen in love with C&C, I'd be learning and trying to convert my group to this ruleset.

This is amazing work. I'd pay for this in a hardback if it were available. Great stuff!
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

papercut
Red Cap

Post by papercut »

ADD3 sure is tickling my fancy. I printed up a couple locally on 80 lb paper and had them comb bound (I printed out the prime version a year or so ago and had them bound with a paper cover as well) and I have to say the books rock! Comb binding seem to be better than the paper binding I had before. Laying out flat and being able to fold it over is real nice. And the content is even better!

I have thought about hardbacking a copy. When the "final" version of the PBH is released, I will do so. It may not be so expensive over here, roughly $6 for printing and $12 for hardback binding. Hmmmmm. Pm me if you are interested. I think airmail to USA is about $10.

Neothera
Skobbit

Post by Neothera »

The primeless version has been working out great for us and has become the new standard. Some players grumbled at first but now they don't miss it at all.

I was just wondering how things were going with Unearthed Arcana. Have you made any progress on it lately? I really like what I see so far, especially the magic item creation section.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Neothera wrote:The primeless version has been working out great for us and has become the new standard. Some players grumbled at first but now they don't miss it at all.

I was just wondering how things were going with Unearthed Arcana. Have you made any progress on it lately? I really like what I see so far, especially the magic item creation section.
Unearthed Arcana has stalled due to sheer laziness on my part. It has been beefed up a bit since I posted my version and is going to be a DMG/UA combo book. The unfinished book can be grabbed from:
http://www.adnd3egame.com/documents/DMG.doc

I'm stuck on the castle building/mass combat section, and still need to add XP charts for killing critters and NPCs.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

papercut wrote:ADD3 sure is tickling my fancy. I printed up a couple locally on 80 lb paper and had them comb bound (I printed out the prime version a year or so ago and had them bound with a paper cover as well) and I have to say the books rock! Comb binding seem to be better than the paper binding I had before. Laying out flat and being able to fold it over is real nice. And the content is even better!
Thanks papercut! I think the PHB is pretty much done at this point (though I occasionally find a small typo or rules clarification that needs to be added). I've printed some copies on Lulu and have been using those for my game. If I ever finish the DMG I'll print that up too (right now it's a nightmare of unfinished sections and major typos/grammatical errors).

Neothera
Skobbit

Post by Neothera »

I finally got a chance to check out your Dungeon Masters Guide. What an ambitious effort! I think you've made some really intuitive choices on what to include in this book and I can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks Chris, we're getting a lot of enjoyment playing your vision of what 3rd edition D&D should have been.

Oh by the way thanks for adding crystalbrittle to the list of MU spells in the PH. I almost forgot about how cool that spell was.

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

Sorry to cast "Raise Thread" on this one, but I was wondering if there is any news?

I am looking for a D&D game to play and 1st, 2nd and 3rd are raising the spectors of their faults and I remember this. I am most curious about it.

Any chance we can talk? :)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

AslanC wrote:Sorry to cast "Raise Thread" on this one, but I was wondering if there is any news?

I am looking for a D&D game to play and 1st, 2nd and 3rd are raising the spectors of their faults and I remember this. I am most curious about it.

Any chance we can talk? :)
I can tell you I printed out and had comb bound the players and UA books for about $38 at Staples, getting close to two years ago now. So the price is likely higher. As Papercut mentions above, there are some advantages to comb bound. I ran AD&D3 using the "N" and "U" series from 1E AD&D, so if you have any particular "in play" type questions I can tell you what I know.

Edit: This would be before he got rid of the Prime versus non Prime system.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

Yeah I am looking for a Non-Prime version, as I (and my group) are looking for some steamlined D&D goodness, which is actually harder to get than you would think.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

AslanC wrote:Yeah I am looking for a Non-Prime version, as I (and my group) are looking for some steamlined D&D goodness, which is actually harder to get than you would think.
Have you checked out the Basic Fantasy RPG? I almost chose it over C&C. Its PDF is free, and you can get print copies via Lulu, and probably drivethru now. Plus they have a lot of support materials as PDF's in its website. IE adventures and alternate rules, etc...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.