What Games Do You ACTUALLY Play?

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Joe
Unkbartig

What Games Do You ACTUALLY Play?

Post by Joe »

I know there are some that collect rpgs for the sake of collecting.

What I want to know is what games are you playing.

Why has that particular game become your game of choice?

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Re: What Games Do You ACTUALLY Play?

Post by Frost »

The game I play the most regularly is D&D 3.5 However, this is not my game of choice, but rather my second choice. In short, we're too far deep in the campaign to convert. I have modified (reduced) the AoO rules.

My game of choice is C&C. It is my go-to pickup game and con game. Also, if there is ever a TPK in my current D&D 3.5, we'll be switching to C&C.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

Playing
Savage Worlds
RIFTS

Why? Savage Worlds has become the game of choice at my local cons, and I have a friend who is currently running a few of us through a mini super heroes campaign. I've been playing in a RIFTS solo campaign for about 10 years now.

Running
D&D 3.5 (SpirosBlaak solo campaign)
C&C (at cons, mostly, but will run a SB and/or Hellfrost game soon; running in Feb at RoundCon)
Pathfinder (for playtesting my PF adventures)
Will be running Savage Worlds to playtest my SW adventures soon.

I do collect some games, but not as much as I used to.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Not much of late, but my last active games were C&C, Savage Worlds, and Dark Heresy:

C&C, because it's dead easy to pick up, make a few characters, and roll into an adventure at the drop of a hat. Love the simplicity and speed.
Savage Worlds, because it has the added complexity I enjoy for sci fi or modern games but in actual play is almost as fast as C&C and the rules work very well for a bit of added "realism" for gunplay, making one-shot kills a possibility against mooks without having to calculate hit points.
Dark Heresy because it's simply awesome. The 40k setting oozes dark, gritty flavor from every pore and the kickassitude is palpable. This is a setting I'd been waiting to see an rpg treatment for a long time. The rules fit the setting quite well and are not incredibly complex, though far more than either of my other two picks.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

C&C is the only thing I'm playing (well, running - I seem to be the perpetual GM) regularly. Within the last 12 months I've also had a Mongoose Traveller game (again, I was GM).

I'm trying to weasel my way into a Shadowrun game as a player, though.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I collect games to collect them. I play them, too.

However, as of right now, I am currently running a C&C game. That is all. I am hoping someone else will want to run it, or maybe switch to something else for a while.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I don't collect even 5% of what I used to. I gave that addiction up some years ago. I still collect a few RPGs that I really like, but don't actively play, and I collect RPGs I do play.

Game of Choice:
Castles & Crusades. C&C is the perfect amalgam of classic D&D with modern fantasy RPG sensibilities. We can use all of our old D&D stuff, create some characters in 20 minutes and get to playing! C&C is the perfect RPG for how I play games.

Playing:
Castles & Crusades
RIFTS
BattleTech

Running:
Castles & Crusades

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

To be fair and honest, I tend to play certain games once and then never again... or, if its dreadful, I may read it and decide to not bother with playing it. FUDGE was like that. Did not like it at all.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Guess I should clarify, I'm not currently playing in anything, but I might get in on a Savage Worlds game next month. I'm running D&D 3.5. Like most folks around these parts, I tend to GM more than play.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Currently?

Hackmaster Basic (Wed)
Castles and Crusades (Tues and Sundays)
Eclipse Phase (Fridays)
Silhouette/Gear Kreig (Thursday)
Aces and Eights (Alternating Saturdays)
Legend of the 5 Rings (Alternating Saturdays)

I run the Tuesday C&C and the Aces and Eights, I play in everything else.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

I'm a collector as well... actually only playing (CK'ing) C&C right now with a great group of people that I met because of these forums (big thumbs up)...

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Right now I'm running two games - Rogue Trader and Castles & Crusades.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I play a lot of them, but in the past couple of months:

Cortex System
Castles and Crusades
Labyrinth Lord
Mutant Future
Dark Dungeons (PbP)
D&D (Rules Cyclopedia) (PbP)
Tunnels and Trolls (Solitaire)
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

I definitely collect more than I play.

Currently I play in a sort of Basic/1st Ed/C&C amalgam that my GM does a really good job at running smoothly, and I myself run a C&C campaign that is on hiatus for a couple months while I pre-prep for the home stretch in the big epic adventure that started almost a year ago. I would love to play in a straight C&C game myself. In the last year or so, I have played 3.5/Pathfinder as well.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Lot's of collectors here on the forums - myself included. So let me pose this question in addition to the OP...

So why does everyone collect games?

I enjoy reading the background and settings, along with how the mechanics work for different games. At times it can seem like a puzzle with some of the rules that are out there! There is also the completist aspect. Once I start collecting a game system, I like to get everything for it, even if I only read it.

Here is another follow up question for you all....

WHY do you play those particular games over any of the others that you have?

I know some of you have already answered that. As far as why I play the two games I play, over the tons that I have? I know the C&C rules, love the setting and have been wanting to play the A-series for sometime and do some play-testing with my own work. When I found a group of gamers locally in South Carolina, they were ready to play anything. So when I said that I'd be the Castle Keeper for a game, we started playing.

Additionally, my old friends from back up north in the cold nether regions of Buffalo, New York. Play periodically a homebrew 1st/2nd Edition D&D with some house rules that we've been playing since we were kids. When I come up to visit, we try to game. I've ran the most recent game and it was my own C&C setting/adventure. They really digged the rules and teh game and want to continue. Normally it would be 6 months to a year, but As I picked up the Fantasy Grounds II Ultimate Liscense (It's a virtual Table Top), we're going to give a try and do it every couple of weeks digitally.

As for Rogue Trade? Well, I really dig the 40K universe and setting, but never found anyone interested in playing. I think I like Dark Heresy better than Rogue Trader, but my local group who's been playing C&C with me are enamored with the whole setting of RT and really wanted to play. For them, fantasy - be it D&D or C&C - is "meh", but the motivation is huge for RT and they are willing to game at the drop of hat for it, especially if I'm GMing (they dig playing and developing character and backstory).

Oh yeah, I did spend a night playing a bit of the D&D 4e's New Red Box edition with a couple of friends over the holidays. We got part way through the first solo adventure - I was running it for two of them at the same time to make it more like an adventure and teach them the rules.

Anyway in a nut shell, I play the games I play because it's a quid-quo-pro. I WANT to play C&C and my players WANT to play RT, so we compromise. We're gaming and its fun all around that is what is most important. Thanks for listening!

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

TheMetal1 wrote: So why does everyone collect games?

I enjoy reading the background and settings, along with how the mechanics work for different games. At times it can seem like a puzzle with some of the rules that are out there!
This describes me. While I'm not a huge collector, I do buy some things I'll probably never use directly in order to mine them for ideas.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I find I enjoy reading gaming material a lot more then a do novels. I love settings in particular, and ejoy reading different people's take on a campaign world. For one, these often lead to ideas that I can incorporate into my own games. Second, fantastical settings is more interesting to me probably because I love history more then I love stories about fictional characters. When you combine the two, history and fictional settings, I get a combination that I love to read.

We comprimised for many years running C&C versus 3E back in the day. It took a great many years, but finally many people in the group I play with see the strengths of C&C over more comlicated games. Though not all of my friends find this to be true. What is stragne to me is that two long time buddies I always gamed with have decided rather to not play any fantasy RPGs over not being able to play 3E anymore. Both of them love the tweeking and the rules lawyering so much, that they decided to essentially give that up rather than play a more simple RPG like C&C. The comprimise didn't work for everybody, but gaming continues and for that, I'm quite happy.

~O

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

TheMetal1 wrote:When I found a group of gamers locally in South Carolina, they were ready to play anything. So when I said that I'd be the Castle Keeper for a game, we started playing.
And I am just now realizing you are a fellow sandlapper. Howdy! I'm currently in Sumter, but am working in Columbia (as of the new year), and moving back to York very soon. Are you going to RoundCon in Feb?

Sorry for the thread jack!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Christina Stiles wrote:And I am just now realizing you are a fellow sandlapper. Howdy! I'm currently in Sumter, but am working in Columbia (as of the new year), and moving back to York very soon. Are you going to RoundCon in Feb?
Greetings to you as well! Didn't know that it was coming up, will have to defintely check it out. Snow here has been hiliarious, the universe shuts down!

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

So why does everyone collect games?

I fell in love with the hobby when I was 12. Ever since then, I've had a strong urge to collect games. I LOVE background material and adventures the most. I'm a real sucker for those. In terms of systems, I'm not really looking for a new one, but I like to check out what other people come up with. Sometimes I find a gem that's worth trying out, but usually time constraints limit what actually gets played.

WHY do you play those particular games over any of the others that you have?

When D&D 3.0/3.5 came out, they really excited the group with their new features. I've been running the game ever since, as the campaign has not yet ended. It's familiar, and I enjoy it enough to keep running it. Heck, I still enjoy D20 Modern, too, but don't currently know anyone running it.

I started playing Savage Worlds when I was introduced to it at a local gaming store. The fellow who ran the game runs it at the local cons, and he has become a good friend and a member of my ocassional gaming group. It's fast, fun, and furious just like it advertises. Since then, I've made friends with several of the Pinnacle Entertainment people who come to the cons, and the game has become the hit of these cons. It's just fun.

I run C&C because I like its simplicity, and it is easy to teach someone. It also reminds me of the early days of gaming, so it has a nostalgic ring to it with simpler, more logical rules.

When I was near a gaming store, I tried out different RPGs if other GMs brought them to the table. We played a lot of one-shot games there. I'm not unwilling to try new things, it's just that I'm not currently involved in any situation that allows that RPG experimentation. One day, maybe.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

TheMetal1 wrote:Greetings to you as well! Didn't know that it was coming up, will have to defintely check it out. Snow here has been hiliarious, the universe shuts down!
It's such an anamoly that we southerners just don't aquire those driving-in-snow skills! Personally, I like that the universe shuts down here. I said on someone's FB post that snow in the South is God's way of telling us we deserve a day or two off. :)

Rikitiki
Red Cap

Post by Rikitiki »

Jeez, I wish I actually played <sigh>.

The downside =
Since 2002 when I moved way out here in the woods, I've only managed to run/play a few weekends when visiting a friend near Fresno, CA. I'd DM AD&D 1e (never saw the need to go beyond that), and get to play in their AD&D 2e games.

The upside =
When D&D 3e came out, I looked it over, wasn't interested/impressed, and managed to eventually find C&C while researching game systems.
So, pretty soon now I'll infect some friends and find some other newbies and THEN I'll get to CK a group and (crosses fingers) maybe one of them will be interested/insane-enough to CK and I'll get to PLAY!!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Good luck Riki!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

What? You're supposed to actually PLAY the games you get? *looks for the lost memo* ;)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lucifer_Drake
Henchman

Post by Lucifer_Drake »

Rolemaster2 on every other Sat.
Firefly/Serenity using Unisystem from ES on Thur.
Cyberpunk 2020 new off-n-on campaign to start soon.
C&C with my nephew when I get the chance to run him through it.
Thrash Till Death!
Metal Punx Unite!
Punks NOT Dead!!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Just to fill in, the Thursday game is all about us trying out a variety of RPG's every 6 weeks or so, so because of that I/we get to play a lot of RPG's every year. Like next week I start running the FATE based Starblazers. We are also talking about Aces and Eights, Savage World of Soloman Kane, and others for this coming year.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

D&D4e two out of every three Wednesdays. Running through Vor Rukoth.

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

Currently DM a 2e homebrew campaign every second Sunday, going strong on 2 years now.

Also playing in a Dark Dungeons (retro clony, quite interesting) game every second Wednesday.

Planning my next C&C campaign to pick up when the Sunday game next suffers a TPK.

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

My group games most Sunday evenings. Right now, we're alternating irregularly between a Palladium Fantasy RPG game that I run and a Dragon Age RPG game in which I'm a player.

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

Currently (changes at least once a year typically).

4e as a Player.

DM: C&C modified D20 game (using C&C rules overall, but with D20 classes, etc.), 4e characters are allowed in this game even.

At home, with family it's all AD&D (or C&C, right now it's been AD&D).