How to identify which printing of the C&C PHB you have.

A place to discuss out-of-print or discontinued TLG products.
mbeacom
Ulthal

How to identify which printing of the C&C PHB you have.

Post by mbeacom »

How does one tell what printing of the C&C PHB one has? Mine is the cream/yellow cover and has a 2004 date inside.

I discovered C&C PHB through a used book/gaming store and fell in love. Now I've ordered a bunch more material at the TLG online store.

Just wondering if I should pick up the newest printing of the PHB or if it matters.

Thanks!
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

timburns
Ulthal

Re: How to identify which printing of the C&C PHB you have.

Post by timburns »

@mbeacom -- unless you have the green cover, you have an older edition. editions 1-3 there weren't any changes, but the 4th edition (the latest) has some added spells and a barbarian class added and errata. you might want to update your copy with the newer one, especially now, as for a limited time it is 50% off list price in Hardcover. Tim

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Just ordered the new PHB and Heart of Glass. $12 for the PHB is a awesome deal! I'm still curious which printing I have though. I've read that a lot of little fixes were made in Printing 3, typos, organization and such. Is that true?
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Yes, there have been a lot of fixes in formatting and the like over the successive printings. To be able to identify which one you have is simple. Look on the side of the spine. You'll see a number that says TLG8010 for the first printing. Successive printings change that number by one. TLG80102/TLG80103/TLG80104 :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Look at the number on the side of your PHB. All TLG books are numbered with "TLG8010X" The number in the X position is the printing number of the book you are looking at.

The first printing of the PHB was TLG8010

There are several special printings of the PHB that were not numbered (Customized PHB was 2nd printing, Leatherette is printing 2.5, Flip Book PHB is 4th printing, GenCon Crusader Society PHB was 4th printing, 2010 TrollCon softcover printing (TLG 80104-P) was 4th printing.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Perfect, thats what I was looking for. Looks like I have a first printing. Thanks!
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

No prob. The changes between the first and fourth printing as per look and layout are dramatic. Very little actual content has changed, except as folks have noted. An update in a class or two, a couple sections on optional rules, and a much cleaner presentation. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach