North Texas RPG Con 2022

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
Ancalagon
Ulthal

North Texas RPG Con 2022

Post by Ancalagon »

NTRPG Con focuses on old-school Dungeons & Dragons gaming (OD&D, 1E, 2E, or Basic/Expert) as well as any pre-1999 type of RPG. Derivatives of those games with an old school feel, like C&C, are welcome, too. Attendance is capped at, I think, 500 this year which is very appealing to me. My days of navigating through 65,000 people a day at GenCon are long behind me.

I'll be trying this convention for the first time in early June. There used to be a website for it but that was taken down a few months ago and now FB is the primary way to get info which is unfortunate. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/310434204630/

If I enjoy the con enough to go back in subsequent years, I could definitely runs some AD&D and C&C as I have at multiple other conventions across multiple states. I have a few ideas in my head already...

Have you attended NTRPGcon? If so, what was your experience like?
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: North Texas RPG Con 2022

Post by Persimmon »

Never been, but I'm very interested in going this year, depending upon my family's summer schedule. Seems like my kind of scene and many of my favorite youtube gamers are regular attendees of this Con.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Let me know if you attend. I like putting faces with names on the forums I frequent. I've met a few folks who've posted here.

EDIT: I went and found the description of the con from TableTop Events: https://tabletop.events/conventions/ntrpgcon-2022

Welcome to the North Texas RPG Convention! The NTRPG Con focuses on old-school Dungeons & Dragons gaming (OD&D, 1E, 2E, or Basic/Expert) as well as any pre-1999 type of RPG produced by the classic gaming companies of the 70s and 80s (TSR, Chaosium, FGU, FASA, GDW, etc). We also support retro-clone or simulacrum type gaming that copies the old style of RPGs (Swords & Wizardry, Castles & Crusades, and others). ANY RPG games are welcome at the Con, be it D&D 4e, Pathfinder, or something we haven't even heard of, just be sure you can fill a table with 5-6 people before you ask to have it added to the schedule... Emphasis mine.

Our 14th annual convention dates are: Thursday June 2, 2022 @ 1800 until Sunday June 5, 2022 @ 1800

<snip>

The Con will be held at the Westin DFW Airport Hotel : 4545 West John Carpenter Freeway, Irving , Texas 75063 Book Your Group Rate | Marriott International It's just north of the airport. We have a special rate for con attendees ($112.00/night) that is in effect until May 18th, 2022 so don't delay in getting your reservations.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Damn! Of all the weekends, I already have plans (concert & beach/snorkeling) that weekend.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I was planning to try to go this year after I lost out on the Gary Con hotel lottery (still can't believe I'm not going to Gary Con this year...), but I decided to play in a chess tournament in Las Vegas this summer instead. That fell through and now I'm too busy with work to rotate back to North Texas. Adult life is complicated.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

One of these decades I might be able to go but that requires syncing with the wife and she never has vacation time.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:37 am
I was planning to try to go this year after I lost out on the Gary Con hotel lottery (still can't believe I'm not going to Gary Con this year...), but I decided to play in a chess tournament in Las Vegas this summer instead. That fell through and now I'm too busy with work to rotate back to North Texas. Adult life is complicated.
I'll also be absent from Gary Con. As for work, better busy than bored!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

This is one I'd love to attend, but that's the week we typically go to the beach. Oh well...

CARLcarl
Mist Elf

Post by CARLcarl »

I will be there and I will be running Keep on the Borderlands using C&C.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

CARLcarl wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:19 pm
I will be there and I will be running Keep on the Borderlands using C&C.
Excellent! I'll look for it on the events listing as time nears for sign ups.

EDIT: What day(s) and time(s) are you intending to run your event?
I'm considering running a C&C game and I'd prefer, if possible, to not have my event overlap yours.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

CARLcarl
Mist Elf

Post by CARLcarl »

Submitted for friday afternoon. I will let you know when it gets scheduled.

CARLcarl
Mist Elf

Post by CARLcarl »

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Copy that. Thanks!
If I run anything it will most likely be on Saturday afternoon / evening. Should I submit an event and it is posted, I'll relay it here.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:49 am
Copy that. Thanks!
If I run anything it will most likely be on Saturday afternoon / evening. Should I submit an event and it is posted, I'll relay it here.
Change of plans. I submitted my C&C event but for Friday evening from 7 PM - 10PM. Once it is approved I'll announce it here.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

My C&C event was approved and is now on the schedule!

The event is Into the Mines of Moria!

You read Professor Tolkien’s books. You watched the Bakshi and Jackson films. Now play as a member of The Fellowship of the Ring as they seek to pass the Doors of Durin and survive the Chamber of Mazarbul. May the blessing of Elves and Men and Free Folk go with you!

Full details can be found here: https://tabletop.events/conventions/ntr ... hedule/151
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:46 pm
My C&C event was approved and is now on the schedule!

The event is Into the Mines of Moria!

You read Professor Tolkien’s books. You watched the Bakshi and Jackson films. Now play as a member of The Fellowship of the Ring as they seek to pass the Doors of Durin and survive the Chamber of Mazarbul. May the blessing of Elves and Men and Free Folk go with you!

Full details can be found here: https://tabletop.events/conventions/ntr ... hedule/151
All of the early registration slots for my event are filled. Four slots remain but will not be opened by the NTXRPG Con folks until 15-Apr for standard registration.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Joe Mohr
Skobbit

Post by Joe Mohr »

Ancalagon wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:16 am
NTRPG Con focuses on old-school Dungeons & Dragons gaming (OD&D, 1E, 2E, or Basic/Expert) as well as any pre-1999 type of RPG. Derivatives of those games with an old school feel, like C&C, are welcome, too. Attendance is capped at, I think, 500 this year which is very appealing to me. My days of navigating through 65,000 people a day at GenCon are long behind me.

I'll be trying this convention for the first time in early June. There used to be a website for it but that was taken down a few months ago and now FB is the primary way to get info which is unfortunate. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/310434204630/

If I enjoy the con enough to go back in subsequent years, I could definitely runs some AD&D and C&C as I have at multiple other conventions across multiple states. I have a few ideas in my head already...

Joe Mohr
Skobbit

Post by Joe Mohr »

Ancalagon wrote:

I have been to NTRPG a couple of times previously and am going again this year. I am running an event on Wed night called Dark Tower of Arcma. It is 1st Edition AD&D and is a shorter version of a module I published a few years ago as Advanced Adventures #39. I will probably offer a second game later but I am waiting to see if anything I want to play in opens up on the one night I do not have anything scheduled before I do so.

I have enjoyed my previous visits to the NTRPG. There are always a few of the old TSR guys around the convention. Some of them are usually DMing a game or two. One year I was in Carl's Keep on the Borderlands game when Frank Mentzer wandered by and told us how he had designed part of that module uncredited (the chapel in the Keep I think).

There are always out of print games being played which you probably won't see at any cons other than perhaps Gary Con or Gen Con. I had my fun with Gen Con one year (the 50th anniversary. It was so packed I cannot honestly see it being run the same way now post pandemic. It was wall to wall people in the convention center that year.

Food options at the NTRPG are sometimes pretty limited. Some years they have had food trucks come in. One year (during the plague) they had the hotel restaurant closed so food options were extremely limited. The only restaurant in walking distance is a Denny's. I am pretty sure that the hotel food service has resumed so that should be available this year. In prior years you could order food at your gaming table from ladies associated with the con who wandered around taking orders. I have not heard specifically about food trucks this year but I would imagine they will have them again. And occasionally DMs have had pizzas delivered for their games and brought into the tables. The restaurant is a little pricey......

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I fit Tower of Arcma into my ongoing Greyhawk campaign recently. Great adventure. Folks if you are going to the con and have a chance, sign up for this one.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Joe Mohr wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:19 pm
Ancalagon wrote:

I have been to NTRPG a couple of times previously and am going again this year. I am running an event on Wed night called Dark Tower of Arcma. It is 1st Edition AD&D and is a shorter version of a module I published a few years ago as Advanced Adventures #39. I will probably offer a second game later but I am waiting to see if anything I want to play in opens up on the one night I do not have anything scheduled before I do so.

I have enjoyed my previous visits to the NTRPG. There are always a few of the old TSR guys around the convention. Some of them are usually DMing a game or two. One year I was in Carl's Keep on the Borderlands game when Frank Mentzer wandered by and told us how he had designed part of that module uncredited (the chapel in the Keep I think).

There are always out of print games being played which you probably won't see at any cons other than perhaps Gary Con or Gen Con. I had my fun with Gen Con one year (the 50th anniversary. It was so packed I cannot honestly see it being run the same way now post pandemic. It was wall to wall people in the convention center that year.

Food options at the NTRPG are sometimes pretty limited. Some years they have had food trucks come in. One year (during the plague) they had the hotel restaurant closed so food options were extremely limited. The only restaurant in walking distance is a Denny's. I am pretty sure that the hotel food service has resumed so that should be available this year. In prior years you could order food at your gaming table from ladies associated with the con who wandered around taking orders. I have not heard specifically about food trucks this year but I would imagine they will have them again. And occasionally DMs have had pizzas delivered for their games and brought into the tables. The restaurant is a little pricey......
Emphasis mine.
Thanks for the info!
My last year of Gen Con was 2014. TOO MANY PEOPLE. Never again.
Good to hear on the hotel food service / dining option. I'd prefer to not have to walk outside to Denny's every time I wanted something to eat. :)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Joe Mohr
Skobbit

Post by Joe Mohr »

Yeah I don't think I will ever return to Gen Con. That was kind of a bucket list kind of thing. I wanted to go once. But there was not much there that would bring me back a second time. I am more into OSR than the current DnD which was well represented at Gen Con. OSR was not well represented there the year I went. NTRPG and GaryCon are better options for the games I am interested in playing.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I attended Gen Con in 2012-14. It was a zoo every year but '14 was the straw that broke the camel's back. I enjoyed most of my gaming there. So many people I couldn't hear a damned thing in a session of The One Ring. It was the only con at which I've ever been able to play Ars Magica, MERP, and HarnMaster. Great games!

The opportunity to get into OSR type games was the big draw for NTX this year... though I am a wee disappointed as to how well represented 5e is on the events list this year. Ah, well. Who knows? If I enjoy NTX enough to return in future years, maybe I'll convert my Moria scenario to AD&D and run that version.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:54 pm
Ancalagon wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:49 am
Copy that. Thanks!
Change of plans. I submitted my C&C event but for Friday evening from 7 PM - 10PM. Once it is approved I'll announce it here.
I saw you snagged a seat in my Moria game, CARLcarl. It will be cool to meet another member of the forums face-to-face!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Joe Mohr
Skobbit

Post by Joe Mohr »

Ancalagon wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:42 am
I attended Gen Con in 2012-14. It was a zoo every year but '14 was the straw that broke the camel's back. I enjoyed most of my gaming there. So many people I couldn't hear a damned thing in a session of The One Ring. It was the only con at which I've ever been able to play Ars Magica, MERP, and HarnMaster. Great games!

The opportunity to get into OSR type games was the big draw for NTX this year... though I am a wee disappointed as to how well represented 5e is on the events list this year. Ah, well. Who knows? If I enjoy NTX enough to return in future years, maybe I'll convert my Moria scenario to AD&D and run that version.
I had mentioned on another forum that I thought 5E was a little over represented there as well. But I think someone canceled several 5E events so it probably isn't any more. BTW I submitted a new event today since I had a gap in my schedule. B1 In Search of the Unknown (using AD&D 1E no UA). Pre-gens provided. I asked for the THU 8-12 time slot.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Good ole B1! I hope it runs well for you, I've run it so many times under many different systems and have always loved it. (The opening corridor is a master piece of setting!)

-Mike

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Joe Mohr wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:07 pm
Ancalagon wrote:

I had mentioned on another forum that I thought 5E was a little over represented there as well. But I think someone canceled several 5E events so it probably isn't any more. BTW I submitted a new event today since I had a gap in my schedule. B1 In Search of the Unknown (using AD&D 1E no UA). Pre-gens provided. I asked for the THU 8-12 time slot.
Emphasis mine.
Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm playing in a B/X event at that time. If my schedule were open I'd snag a ticket.
I see you're also signed up for the Thursday night social. I'll look you up and put a face with the name. Cheers!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Joe Mohr
Skobbit

Post by Joe Mohr »

Ancalagon wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:52 am
Joe Mohr wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:07 pm
Ancalagon wrote:

Emphasis mine.
Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm playing in a B/X event at that time. If my schedule were open I'd snag a ticket.
I see you're also signed up for the Thursday night social. I'll look you up and put a face with the name. Cheers!
I played in the social during the 2020 plague con. But I had to leave early because I was also scheduled to play in Doug Rheas game that night and I did not realize that they overlapped. This time I made sure not to make that kind of mistake. Look forward to seeing you there!

Joe Mohr
Skobbit

Post by Joe Mohr »

I submitted a second event for Thurs Morning. I had a gap in my schedule and there seemed to be a lot of interest in folks getting into an OSR game with few openings available. I decided against running another of my own adventures and put in for B1 In Search of the Unknown with 1E rules and pregens. I figure that we can probably just explore a good chunk of the upper level in a four hour slot. Or we just get through what we get through in the designated time. Either way is fine.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Joe Mohr wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:50 pm
I played in the social during the 2020 plague con. But I had to leave early because I was also scheduled to play in Doug Rheas game that night and I did not realize that they overlapped. This time I made sure not to make that kind of mistake. Look forward to seeing you there!
Funny you mention "plague con." I tested positive for covid twice within the last 24 hours. As much as I hate it, my first trip to NTXRPG Con is cancelled. Dammit.

I'm now looking at Gary Con in March 2023. Strangely enough I already have a cool C&C scenario worked up to run. If you (or any other of the members here) make it to the next Gary Con, consider grabbing a seat at my game!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Ancalagon wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:21 am
Joe Mohr wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:50 pm
Funny you mention "plague con." I tested positive for covid twice within the last 24 hours. As much as I hate it, my first trip to NTXRPG Con is cancelled. Dammit.

I'm now looking at Gary Con in March 2023. Strangely enough I already have a cool C&C scenario worked up to run. If you (or any other of the members here) make it to the next Gary Con, consider grabbing a seat at my game!
Ugh... sorry to hear that. I've been thinking about hitting Gary Con for several years, but have just never moved forward with making plans. Seems more new school than old school at this point from an outsiders view.