Gary Con IX March 2017

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Gary Con IX March 2017

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Treebore wrote:I won't be back this year. Just going to New Orleans instead.
Well, that's just sad. I was hoping to meet you this year. I kept asking about you last year only to be told, "Oh, he just left!" I'm not entirely convinced you actually exist.
Well, if you go to it, I do plan on being at NTRPGCon in June. Already have my badge.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

I have three 4-hour sessions between Friday (pretty much all day) and Saturday a.m. I'll post the summary, if people want.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sir Osis of Liver wrote:I have three 4-hour sessions between Friday (pretty much all day) and Saturday a.m. I'll post the summary, if people want.
I think Summaries are always good.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm hoping to make it back this year, but will have to wait and see what how my finances look in the spring.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

Sabenchor Ascendant
An adventure for Castles & Crusades
By Gerald L. Buldak
Sir Osis of Liver
Author of Brindisium Adventures

If you endeavor to see the next sunrise, never trust the hobgoblin linguist.
--Ancient Elven Proverb

A patrol from one of the keeps on the border between Brindisium and the Darkenfold has intercepted a rather curious prize: a sword, made of obsidian, that left several from the fort capable of nothing more than repeating the word, Sabenchor. As the hordes descended from the Darkenfold to lay siege to the fort, the garrison commander sent one of his bravest on a daring mission to reach the capital for help. Are you so bold, or possibly suicidal, as to answer the call to arms, risk crossing the humanoid mob that has besieged the fort, and if necessary, delve into the heart of death itself that awaits in the Darkenfold?

Sabenchor Ascendant is a 1-round tournament For 6 10th level characters

arcanechimera
Site Admin

Post by arcanechimera »

Registration for games ends on December 31st. Who has signed up to run games at Gary Con IX? We would like to get a head count of who is running games and help get people signed up to play.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Looks like we've only got 11 C&C events at Gary Con this year (one of which is kids-only). I feel bad that I'm not running anything, but I am just crushed this year with real life. I don't see any signs of a C&C tournament. Did Brian Miller pull out? It looks like he hasn't logged onto the forums since mid-December. On the plus side, I do see a number of Amazing Adventures events.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm hoping to be able to get into at least one C&C event this year. It has been hard in the past, but I haven;t been to GC in a few years.

We'll see how the luck finds me when it comes time to get into events...

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I thought I was going to make it out this year, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. :( Maybe next year.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Dammit Rigo!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Omote wrote:Dammit Rigo!

~O
I know. Life is kicking me in junk this year.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I was going to pick up an old gaming buddy in Chicago and drive up, but unemployment
seems to have derailed that idea. I'm on expense lock down for the time being. I'm disappointed as I was looking forward to the event.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

This is a down year for C&C for me, but I'm happy to be playing in Tyler's Amazing Adventure game on Saturday evening. It'll be my first chance at playing AA. Overall, I ended up with a nice mix of RPGs and war games. This is looking to be a great con (again).
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Was the tourney thing happening again this year?

Didn't see it on schedule but hope it's being run still just not signing up on line.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

thenorthman wrote:Was the tourney thing happening again this year?

Didn't see it on schedule but hope it's being run still just not signing up on line.
Brian Miller assumed responsibility for the tournament last year. He had a ton of enthusiasm, but hasn't logged onto the forums since mid-December and the schedule does not have a tournament. I fear Mr. Miller burned out or was disappointed with the response he got to his efforts to organize a room at Gary Con dedicated to C&C play and bailed.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

As for C&C I got into Sir Osis' Sabenchor Ascendant game, as well as Steve's Crazy Big Table game.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Omote wrote:As for C&C I got into Sir Osis' Sabenchor Ascendant game, as well as Steve's Crazy Big Table game.

~O
I thought about registering for Steve's big game this year (I've never played in it), but I could only do one featured event and went with Harley Stroh's DCC RPG game. I've heard great things about Stroh and I wanted to use my one featured event for something where I would get more individual attention. I really need to play in Steve's game someday. Maybe I'll get a gold badge next year so I have more featured events to play with.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Omote wrote:As for C&C I got into Sir Osis' Sabenchor Ascendant game, as well as Steve's Crazy Big Table game.

~O
I thought about registering for Steve's big game this year (I've never played in it), but I could only do one featured event and went with Harley Stroh's DCC RPG game. I've heard great things about Stroh and I wanted to use my one featured event for something where I would get more individual attention. I really need to play in Steve's game someday. Maybe I'll get a gold badge next year so I have more featured events to play with.
I've played in one of Steve's Mondo C&C sessions a hand full of years ago at Origins. Honestly, when there are 15+ people at the table, it's tough. Individual attention is hard to come by in a session that big -- Steve is damn good at it though, by far the best I have seen. He's a really good story teller, and uses a lot of energy to make everybody feel like part of the game even if you don't get to use all of your neato character abilities. I was very surprised, but I keep hearing good things about Steve's GaryCon C&C game, so I got in.

I WISH there was a way to get into other premiere events at GC. Only being allotted 1 is tough.

Jon Hershberger runs a hell of a 1E dungeon-crawler set in the Caverns of Thracia. I've played in several of his big games, and they are pretty fun, but I couldn't get in this year. Bah! My schedule for games this year at GC is sort of erratic. I hope I can get into some off-grid/after-hours games to make up for it.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I suspect there will be lots of opportunities for walk-up play in featured events. For example, there are still 5 seats left open for Steve's big game. I believe a lot of other featured events also have openings going into the con. The limitations on the number of featured events people could register for left gaps people can exploit at game time.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Let's hope that is the case. A few years ago I didn't have the opportunity to register for a single game prior to going to GC. I only managed to get into one game while at the con (that I wanted to play). There were a few other opportunities that I declined.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

crisp64
Henchman

Post by crisp64 »

So we got into Tyler's game Saturday night and generally filled our days but I would be interested to know if anyone will be around Sunday afternoon for a game... I missed out on Bogey of Brindle!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

There is a possibility I will still be around after 2:00 on Sunday, but I would probably be running a pick-up game of Dungeon World.

arcanechimera
Site Admin

Post by arcanechimera »

Open registration for events at Gary Con IX started January 21st. Some of the games are filling up quickly, but there are still many that you can still sign up for! Click here to see what games are still available.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

arcanechimera wrote:Image

Open registration for events at Gary Con IX started January 21st. Some of the games are filling up quickly, but there are still many that you can still sign up for! Click here to see what games are still available.
Yeah, Liz and I only got into 1 game all weekend (?) Anyhow, I intend to run my Victorious "Wars of the Worlds" game as a walk-up...assuming I can find a spare table in the TLG room. :)

No costumes though, getting that naval coat and Liz's metal-boned corset through the airport is just too tough! :lol:

GM Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Is there going to be a TLG room?

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

I'd been under the impression there was one every year at GC. As I've never actually attended, I'm having to go on hearsay. Trolls?

Mike, beginning to be a bit concerned!
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I think last year was the only year that had a dedicated TLG/C&C room. GC was at a smaller venue in the past, so there really wasn't the room for a dedicated room, but with the larger venue they had one last year. Now, I have no idea whether or not they will have one this year. But I hope they do for you all that are going.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I think that's inaccurate, Rigon. Many of the C&C events may have ended up in the same room randomly last year, but I ran C&C in two different areas and played it in 2 others. Brian Miller mentioned his plans to have a dedicated room this year, but Brian is MIA and it looks like none of the things he mentioned have come to fruition.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Just checked the schedule at Table Top Events. C&C events are being run in 5 different rooms this year.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Buttmonkey wrote:I think that's inaccurate, Rigon. Many of the C&C events may have ended up in the same room randomly last year, but I ran C&C in two different areas and played it in 2 others. Brian Miller mentioned his plans to have a dedicated room this year, but Brian is MIA and it looks like none of the things he mentioned have come to fruition.
That could be. I wasn't there and was remembering from what others have said.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads