Gary Con IX March 2017

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
miller6
Lore Drake

Gary Con IX March 2017

Post by miller6 »

For all GMs who plan to register any C&C events for Gary Con 9, as Gary Con Staff, please contact me before you register so I can have your events assigned to tables in a combined C&C/KOTC gaming area.

Also to GMs who want to get in some KOTC convention GMing time at Gary Con 9, let me know and I'll give you details on what you need to do.

Thanks in Advance,
Brian Miller
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Gary Con IX March 2017

Post by Treebore »

I'm willing to help again, just remember I am not a morning person. How about also doing a "pick up game" table for C&C? I think they also call it "Open Gaming". Just a table where we can run games anytime we have enough people who want to play in a given time frame. I'd be willing to run Victorious and C&C pick up games.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Open gaming is the only way I can realistically volunteer for CK duty. Plus, scored tournaments (even for C&C) are probably not my strong suit.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I love the idea of getting CKs to wear C&C t-shirts to attract attention to the C&C games. I'm not sure sticking all of the C&C events is the best move from the perspective of attracting new players. 5E and Pathfinder had their own room this year (and Pathfinder was stuck in its own area last year). I never went into that room. I don't think I was by any means unique in that. I think putting all C&C games into one room creates an exclusionary isolation. Non-C&C players will be less likely to wander by the tables (what would make them wander into the C&C room looking for something to play in the first place?). Non-C&C players might also feel like the room is for other people, not them.

I think spreading the C&C games out throughout the game play areas will lead to a much-increased exposure for new players compared to a dedicated C&C room. As a C&C player, it would be great to have all of the C&C in one place since it would make it a lot easier for me to find C&C games to jump into. But TLG already owns my ass. The question should be what is most likely to bring in new/more players.

That said, if we have a dedicated room just for C&C, I think it makes sense to have one or two tables reserved for C&C open gaming within the C&C room.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Done. I can reserve 2 tables in the hallway right outside the C&C area for Pick up Games for the whole convention. I don't want to leave a table potentially empty in the C&C room. Looks bad, could be a waste of space if unused and I'm hoping to have enough C&C events to need all the space in the C&C room.

The room I have in mind - EG3 (which had the C&C tournament and at least a dozen other C&C games this year so people will likely look for C&C games there next year) will have 12 tables (4 rows of 3), available 8am-midnight Thurs, Fri and Sat and 8am to 4pm Sunday.

Time slots for reserving a table in the C&C room can be either:
1) using 6 hour slots i.e. 8am-3pm with a noon to 1pm lunch break. 3pm-8pm with a 6-7pm dinner break, and 8pm-2am thus-sat, and 8am-3pm sunday with a noon-1pm lunch break. 12 hour tables are possible.

or 2) using 4 hour slots, i.e. 8am-noon, noon-4pm, 4pm-8pm and 8pm-midnight thurs-sat and 8am-noon and noon-4pm sunday with no scheduled breaks. 8 and 12 hour tables are possible.

To fill the room using option 1, we'd need 3 games per table per day for 3 days (thurs-sat) and 1 game per table for 1 day (sunday). That's 36X3 + 12 = 120 games. To do that we need serious commitment.

To fill the room using option 2, we'd need 4 games per table per day for 3 days (thurs-sat) and 2 games per table for 1 day (sunday). That's 48X3 + 24 = 168 games. To do that we need even more serious commitment.

The C&C tournament will be 14 tables (8 1st round, 4 2nd round, and 2 third round).

To pull off option #1 I'd need 120-14=106 games. 30 GMs running 3-4 games each could cover that.
To pull off option #2 I'd need 168-14=154 games. 40 GMs running 4 games each could cover that.

I'd also ask Stephen to run at least one big game in our C&C room in addition to his VIP games in board rooms.

I understand the logic behind spreading C&C throughout the convention, however, the DMs Guild and Pathfinder Society have drawn big crowds with their isolated areas. We need a room to compete with theirs next year. Being spread out won't emphasize how well organized we are which is how DMs Guild and Pathfinder society have drawn big crowds. They were both packed this year with more wanting in. They say if you want to succeed follow in the footsteps of those who've succeeded before you. They also say, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. So let's try a C&C room next year and see how that works. If we fill the room with scheduled events, other C&C events will be spread throughout the convention. But first, let's make sure all the tables in that room are in use all the time.

So that's the overview of the space and number of events we could have in a C&C room and 2 tables in front of it at Gary Con 9.

Please comment.

Brian Miller

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

miller6 wrote:To pull off option #1 I'd need 120-14=106 games. 30 GMs running 3-4 games each could cover that.
To pull off option #2 I'd need 168-14=154 games. 40 GMs running 4 games each could cover that.

So that's the overview of the space and number of events we could have in a C&C room and 2 tables in front of it at Gary Con 9.

Please comment.
That agenda is unrealistically ambitious. We had 26 C&C events at Gary Con this year run by 9 GMs (that does not include folks who GMd the tournament other than you). Last year we had something like 30-35 C&C events if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure last year was the high water mark for C&C at Gary Con. I can't see how we could jump to 106 or 154 games run by 30-40 GMs in one year. I'm also personally chafing at having the length and time of play sessions dictated to me as a GM, but I can see folks including me possibly towing the line to help out the Trolls.

The enthusiasm and energy behind this plan is great. I recommend channeling that into a less ambitious plan that is less authoritarian.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Buttmonkey. Don't tell me what I can't do... tell me what I need to do to accomplish it! :)

Nobody knew about the tourney. It wasn't a C&C room. It was just a room for any RPG games. Luke ran one table in there. I might even be able to get him to run a C&C game in the C&C room. He runs it and writes for it so that's not out of the question. Our C&C presence wasn't advertised. Nobody knew to look for us there. Nobody championed an effort to get more C&C games there. I used to run conventions. Filling a room like that is not unrealistic especially if you have repeat or multi-round events. I was at Gary Con. That room was full almost the entire time. Many of those games were C&C games but nobody knew that. This time I want to make sure people know.

Are my goals too lofty? Perhaps to accomplish that by next year is a stretch. But that's the direction we need to move in. If we can't fill all the tables, I'll work that out with the event manager so other games run in ones we don't use. And we know Gary Con isn't letting those tables be empty because whether people knew it or not, Gary Con needed and used every bit of space we had.

Adequate solution?

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Buttmonkey, I have no interest in being authoritarian. I'm a Black Sheep type and as such fully understand people not wanting to be told what to do nor do I like being told what to do myself so I'm definitely not looking to do to anyone what i wouldn't want done to me. So no worries. I'm not looking to tell you what to do or try to reign in your or anyone else's events. I'm happy when people do anything C&C related. I'm also happy when people work together and realize that sometimes you have to compromise to succeed in combined efforts. What I'd really like to see is people saying, hey, I've got my own C&C event planned, can you fit us in your room? Get enough of those and we'll fill that venue. :)

I'm speaking to you and other forum and KOTC members as a die-hard, enthusiastic gamer and an experienced gaming event organizer who is taking action and trying to get gamers and their gaming groups to join in a fun undertaking. As such, I'm looking for reliable volunteers to help accomplish KOTC and TLG's goal of presenting an organized C&C presence anywhere we can. Consider lofty goals a call to arms to see how many answers we get. Testing the waters, trying to make a splash if you will. Your help is one more! :) If we shoot for lower numbers we might miss potential volunteers so down-scaling is a reasonable backburner option if required. Good points. But I'm not giving up on filling that C&C room yet! And I know I can do it because I've done it for D&D before.

Thanks for bringing it up and glad to see someone bothered to keep track of how many events we've had in the past. Tells me you're an avid Gary Con and C&C enthusiast. Me too! Now we just need more people who jump right into the frey. Or as Stephen would put it those who yell "Huzzah!" when hearing the call. Since you've got good ideas and motivation, would you like to organize a section of the room? I can give you a row or whatever you need. Just let me know what you've got in mind. Shane wants to do some marathon games. Several people want a PVP (party versus party) games. Those could take up a number of tables multiple days with only a few GMs.

What I'm trying to convey is that we should shoot for greater numbers than we've seen in the past. Stephen would like that. And we'd make our mark at the convention and in the industry if we pull it off. So this isn't about what I want to do, it's about what KOTC is capable of doing.

I've been to and helped run smaller less organized conventions and gaming events. Love 'em. There's something to be said for the small ones. People like the more personal touch, greater flexibility in event schedules and greater interaction with other con goers. In big cons, you're lucky if you see the same people from one table twice. Many people lamented Gary Cons growth and change of venue from The Ridge to Grand Geneva. Many preferred it more loosely organized and in the smaller venue. Both have their place. I think what you're talking about would be great for a smaller venue. But Gary Con is bigger now so that's a reality we have to contend with. And yes, I do plan on organizing a smaller C&C convention in time. Until then, I'm Gary Con staff trying to help both Stephen and Luke accomplish their goals for the convention.

My post about a C&C room was meant to toss out info on available space at Gary Con and what we could do with it. Flexibility is a key to success and is desirable. I was flexible with my GMs and players in the tourney. Nothing is concrete for next year yet so this is just preliminary discussions. Specifics for a C&C room are negotiable. For example, if you need more time at a table or a different time frame (say to run a 2 hr game), that's doable. Just tell me what you need. Glad to have you and anyone else on board who is willing to run some C&C.

I think our past limited number of C&C tables was because as someone else noted Stephen saying, he's not a guy who likes to advertise "look at me and what I'm doing". He wants someone else to do that for C&C. So I'm trying to help since I've been running C&C games and promoting TLG for years on my own. So maybe I'm the right guy for the job?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My only problem is, I don't spend roughly a thousand or more to go to conventions to play games I get to play pretty much all year long. Sure, I don't mind playing or running 3 or 4 games of C&C over that time frame, but I also want time to play other RPG's I like.

So whatever the final game plan ends up being, don't expect me to commit all of my time to doing C&C. I'm willing to commit roughly half. IF the Trolls want me to commit more than that, they will have to pay me. Since we all know that isn't going to happen, count me in for roughly half my time, and remember, due to my health issues, my day doesn't start until some time between 9 AM to Noon, if I have a really bad night. If I am lucky, I might last until 10 PM or midnight. Then I will head to my room to discover how much/little sleep I will get that night.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Love the enthusiasm BMiller.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

The level of commitment for running C&C games at a convention we'd hope to see is 3 games per GM. That's not asking much over the course of a 3-4 day convention. Those willing to do more, that's great, but it's important to have the chance to play in games too! :) It's really up up to each GM to determine how many they're willing to run. As for, me, well, Treebore, you know me, when I'm not busy coordinating, I GM every chance I get because I love running C&C games. :)

Also, the idea is to find GMs far and wide so GMs wouldn't have to travel far to attend a convention. The more GMs we find, the more conventions we can offer C&C games at.

Brian Miller

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

miller6 wrote:The level of commitment for running C&C games at a convention we'd hope to see is 3 games per GM. That's not asking much over the course of a 3-4 day convention. Those willing to do more, that's great, but it's important to have the chance to play in games too! :) It's really up up to each GM to determine how many they're willing to run. As for, me, well, Treebore, you know me, when I'm not busy coordinating, I GM every chance I get because I love running C&C games. :)

Also, the idea is to find GMs far and wide so GMs wouldn't have to travel far to attend a convention. The more GMs we find, the more conventions we can offer C&C games at.

Brian Miller
Yeah, I can definitely handle 3 or 4 games like I was involved in this last time. While I love running C&C, I have a lot of others I love too. For many of them, conventions are the only chance I get to play them or run them.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Gary Con 9 is March 23-27, 2017. Grand Geneva Resort has been accepting reservations since the end of Gary Con 8.

I will be setting up a website soon for GMs to sign up to run C&C events in the TLG/C&C/KOTC Room so I know how many GMs and how many tables we can fill. We can and will fill that room! I'll post a link to the signup page as soon as it's operational.

Good things in progress. :)
Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Please PM me if you are going to GM a C&C or TLG event at Gary Con 9. Send me your name, event title and how long it runs and how many players and whether you need prizes or other special considerations (like needing more or less than a 4 hour slot, more than one table, etc. )

I'm in the process of creating a C&C room database website. Those who GM an event in the Gary Con 9 C&C room, will be given access to look at the C&C Room event schedule and the option to change any info about your event, what slots, how many sessions, or what scenario/ TLG Game you're running.

Special Note: It will also give KOTC GMs AND PLAYERS an option to pre-pre-reg for any events in the Gary Con 9 C&C room (so you won't have to worry about one of our events being full by the time you sign up for Gary Con. Once I know what KOTC members are playing in what C&C Room events, I'll lessen the number of seats for those tables on the Gary Con website to cover any seat reserved for a KOTC member (i.e. so you're guaranteed a seat despite the onslaught that is Gary Con event pre-registration. This is an added perk for KOTC members only! So if you plan to play in games at Gary Con 9 and haven't joined KOTC, sign up!

miller6
Lore Drake

Gary Con 9 pre-pre-event registration for KOTC GMs/Players

Post by miller6 »

Please PM me if you are going to GM a C&C or TLG event at Gary Con 9. Send me your name, event title and how long it runs and how many players and whether you need prizes or other special considerations (like needing more or less than a 4 hour slot, more than one table, etc. )

I'm in the process of creating a C&C room database website. Those who GM an event in the Gary Con 9 C&C room, will be given access to look at the C&C Room event schedule and the option to change any info about your event, what slots, how many sessions, or what scenario/ TLG Game you're running.

Special Note: It will also give KOTC GMs AND PLAYERS an option to pre-pre-reg for any events in the Gary Con 9 C&C room (so you won't have to worry about one of our events being full by the time you sign up for Gary Con. Once I know what KOTC members are playing in what C&C Room events, I'll lessen the number of seats for those tables on the Gary Con website to cover any seat reserved for a KOTC member (i.e. so you're guaranteed a seat despite the onslaught that is Gary Con event pre-registration. This is an added perk for KOTC members only! So if you plan to play in games at Gary Con 9 and haven't joined KOTC, sign up!

Brian Miller

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

The call for Gary Con 9 GMs is still open! I've received zero PMs from C&C GMs about events for Gary Con 9 though I know from past years that at least a dozen TLG board member GMs attend Gary Con annuallly and run an average of 3 events each. John Wright, speak up. I'm calling on your group to step up next year. Your group did a great job in the past. If I don't get the support I need from here, the GMS representing C&C will be from the ranks of Pathfinder and GMs guild. Talk the talk or walk the walk, folks. KOTC needs action of forum C&CS members, not just gaming posts.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Hi all.

I've been absent because I've been negotiating and facilitating a major change in I and my family's life, so having seen Brian's shout out just wanted to update:

A short time ago my 2-year-long search culminated with an offer to join South Louisiana Community College as their new Dean of Liberal Arts & Humanities, and I have accepted. We are in frenzy of setting up a fairly quick move, and will be leaving Wisconsin behind and returning to Louisiana (where we came from before moving to WI). This is a fantastic career opportunity, and returns us nearer to Mona's family and a number of our old friends there.

However, and I posted this at the GaryCon FB page, the downside is we won't be coming to GaryCon this coming year for the 1st time - both because of costs after the big move and because I will be pretty well overwhelmed taking on this new job in the 1st year.

We hope to return to WI in future years for GaryCon once we are settled in, have sold our house up here, and can save and plan for it. Hoping to see everyone in 2018.
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Another alternative to fill up the C&C room is to have tables running other TLG games (Amazing Adventures, Harvesters, Star Siege, Victorious) so the tables get filled yet there's a TLG focus.

Liz and I have reserved a room for GC next year, but can't guarantee attendance until we know our situation in the Fall of this year. If I'm there, I'd be willing to run a Victorious game, and maybe a C&C game; depending on need.

Still, its a thought!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Yes, the C&C room would be more appropriately called the TLG room. The intent is to fill it with any/all TLG games we can, not just C&C! Sorry if I didn't clarify that, thought I had mentioned it earlier...

But good point! Definitely want everyone to know that.

Brian

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

seskis281 wrote:Hi all.

I've been absent because I've been negotiating and facilitating a major change in I and my family's life, so having seen Brian's shout out just wanted to update:

A short time ago my 2-year-long search culminated with an offer to join South Louisiana Community College as their new Dean of Liberal Arts & Humanities, and I have accepted. We are in frenzy of setting up a fairly quick move, and will be leaving Wisconsin behind and returning to Louisiana (where we came from before moving to WI). This is a fantastic career opportunity, and returns us nearer to Mona's family and a number of our old friends there.

However, and I posted this at the GaryCon FB page, the downside is we won't be coming to GaryCon this coming year for the 1st time - both because of costs after the big move and because I will be pretty well overwhelmed taking on this new job in the 1st year.

We hope to return to WI in future years for GaryCon once we are settled in, have sold our house up here, and can save and plan for it. Hoping to see everyone in 2018.
Congratulations on the new career opportunity, seskis281!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Ancalagon wrote:
seskis281 wrote:Hi all.

Congratulations on the new career opportunity, seskis281!
Indeed! My wife and I are talking about heading to NOLA in May or June. Be nice if we can meet up somewhere, Seskis!

I am open to the idea of running a Victorious game for Gary Con as well. I hopefully will get some practice in with the Monday group between now and March.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I should be selling with the Trolls at GC. I'll probably run three? games. Checking with Luke Gygax about making certain I have my badge, etc.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Brian I had more fun in the tournament than I thought I would so I'll be back.

Never "ran" a C&C game before but have been thinking about it.....but not their yet.....might be by the time Garycon rolls around.

Know that's not much help....

But you definitely got a player. I also can help out with other things during the con if needed. We are FB friends if need to contact for something as time approaches.

My main goal this year is to play more games and not get sicker than a dog when get home! I arrive this year Tuesday hoping to be rested and not run down before the con even starts! Which means I can help out with things starting then.

If I do get as sick as I have getting back from Garycon, it will be my last Garycon I think. I go to three to four conventions through out the year (Gencon, Consimworld, Game On, Enfillade, etc) and don't get sick like I have the last two Garycons.....it's strange.

Guess just don't sleep having so much fun! :D

At any rate appreciate your effort and the excitement is contagious for the convention! Hope to grow the cohonnies to GM. :shock: Until then thank you for setting up the tourney!

Sean King

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Hey, Northy! My best advice is wash your hands often and carry some hand sanitizer with you. Sleep can only help, too.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Event registration for GaryCon 9 begins September 10th, 2016.
This is a call to action for C&C or 1st Edition AD&D GMs. I'm tournament coordinator for GaryCon 9. Run 3 tables for me and I'll get you in the convention for free. Run 5 tables and you'll get a GaryCon GM shirt and cup with drink discounts too. I'll handle all the prereg stuff so all you have to do is show up and pick up your packets of adventures and your schedules. Lets bring back the Golden era of gaming. All you have to do is run a fun game and I'll give you everything you need to do that.

Brian Miller

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Okay I think I am going to give it a shot at running a C&C game this year.

Will be off hour games....like Sunday, and maybe Thursday. And will also put in comments that it's first GM time for me.

Will see how it goes.

The modules kind of looking at are "Night of the Spirits", "Bogey of Brindle" converted, and or "Goblims of Mount Shadow".

Plan to read them each a couple times....so I can provide a fun game. We will see.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

As per the request of forum members, I've waited until we're closer to GaryCon to call for GMs. Now it's time for me to register the tournaments and my GMs. I need to submit a list of GMs to get them in free. I put out the call and have got a couple willing to run a few rounds. Putting the call out again. Guaranteed tables and games and admission. You'll be provided adventures, pregens, scoring sheets and a table of gamers. Scoring will be handled for you. All you have to do is run a fun game and you'll have what you need to do that. We had a blast last year. Everyone who participated enjoyed it. Be part of it this year and make it even bigger and better.

Brian Miller

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

I would try as a GM Brian but really want to participate as a player in the tournament and not sure able to do both.

Plus honestly shooting for GM t-Shirt for Garycon. ;-)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I won't be back this year. Just going to New Orleans instead.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Treebore wrote:I won't be back this year. Just going to New Orleans instead.
Well, that's just sad. I was hoping to meet you this year. I kept asking about you last year only to be told, "Oh, he just left!" I'm not entirely convinced you actually exist.