Gen Con Noob Advice Solicited

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Gen Con Noob Advice Solicited

Post by Litzen Tallister »

My twin and I have made the decision to head off to Gen Con for the first time. While there is a plethora of information for people new to the experience, I'm still feeling somewhat overwhelmed in the planning stage. So, I'd like to throw myself before the venerable denizens of these forums and beg for additional information. My brother and I are familiar with smaller conventions relating to tabletop gaming, but nothing on this scale. In particular suggestions and advice relating to the gaming, shopping, and big events unique to Gen Con would be greatly appreciated. Also, some questions on the costume contest come to mind, such as how common it is for folks to be wandering around in costume and how strict is the weapons policy (I have some stage swords that could handily spread butter on bread but not much else)? Thanks in advance folks!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Re: Gen Con Noob Advice Solicited

Post by Breakdaddy »

Been to a few myself. My primary advice would be to take a good amount of cash with you and use a money clip/keep it in your front pocket. I try to not use my credit card much for purchases at the con. Some vendors dont have a machine or scanner and sometimes its just slow or doesnt work. As far as gaming goes: I would strongly suggest making at least SOME of your gaming plans in advance via forums/email/etc. The first time I attended it was extremely frustrating to try to tie in with folks and get a game going. After that, I tried to get some plans made before I ever hit the convention hall. Dont know much about the costume thing or weapons policy, but I saw some folks running around with fake guns and sword props for warhammer 40k so it must be ok?
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Scan the events listings well prior to advance registration. There will be a huge volume of folks attempting to snag seats at their games of choice. It would be wise to make lists of your primary, secondary, and even tertiary games of choice to make the process flow as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

loganpiper
Henchman

Post by loganpiper »

Definitely watch for the event listings. Find the games and events you want to go to and get them in your cart and ready to go then when they open up the day for checking out or whatever you want to be there that very second if you want to make sure you get what you wanted haha because those things sell like hotcakes. Costumes are very common and they also hold a parade through the convention center for those who are in costume on one of the days but I'm not sure about the policy one weapons although I feel like I remember seeing plenty of people with some sort of costume weapon. Also figure out your rooming situation early.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Thanks everyone for the advice thus far. Thankfully the hotel reservation side is done and I've managed to secure a good location for the convention. Although, I think it was the most stressful hotel registration I've every gone through, with 45 minutes of anxiety followed by some residual shell shock at the madness involved. Now to get through Event Registration, which sounds like it may be similar to hotel registration in terms of stress, albeit on a smaller scale (even if we wind up with no event tickets, at least we'll be there).

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

The costumes are very common and allover. I love the chain mail bikinis. Weapon policy....very strict.

You can look it up on the GenCon site.

I assume you have a room right? Cause you do not, you will not. It is full downtown and the airport hotels have jacked up the prices. There are a few downtown but at about 500 per night.

Be ready when the events open up and scramble. I will be running Analegorn the Red Dragon in C&C Thursday and Saturday night. I have a special guest or two from the Judges Guild clan who may be at one or both games. I may run it off grid as well Friday night at the Hyatt.