Troll Con Little Rock 2011 Dates

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
roo_ster
Henchman

Troll Con Little Rock 2011 Dates

Post by roo_ster »

Howdy:

I stopped by with some of y'all's buddies at the last Troll Con in LR and found it quite interesting. The timing was serendipitous and coincided with my vacation, but I was ill-prepared to take advantage of the opportunity.

I was wondering if there are set dates for the 2011 iteration? I am interested in running a game and would like to plan ahead so as to take full advantage of my time.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

roo_ster

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Steve probably has some dates in mind but my guess would be sometime in late July. Hopefully Steve will pop in and give you some firm dates. What are you planning to run?
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

roo_ster
Henchman

Post by roo_ster »

A hybrid ADD1E-ish game. Could be easily run under OSRIC, if ADD1E is somehow out of favor(0).

It is slightly modified to work in the era right after the fall of the Western Roman Empire (550AD-600AD), with most of the usual fantastical elements.

Some of the mods are technology based (plate armor--or steel used in armor, funky pole arms, lanterns, etc. non-existent). Some come from questions like, "What sort of class and military O&O(1) differences would have developed up to the fall of a fantastical Roman Empire in the West?"

Also, none of this "Late Antiquity" revisionist nonsense, smell & feel-wise. If the major center of civilization is sacked and the polity overthrown, it qualifies as a Dark Age.

(0) Been out of RPGs for some time and not up to speed on current trends & such.

(1) O&O refers to Operations & Organization. Roughly speaking, "What would the makeup of the forces be, how would they be equipped, and how would they fight?"

------

If time permits, perhaps a home-brewed "Cowboys & Cthulhu" I developed on a lark some years back. The setting is the American West just after the Civil War, when percussion cap & ball was the dominant firearms technology.

It might, uh, horrify Lovecraftian purists as I took my cues more from August Derleth's tales and other authors whose interpretations are more amenable to an adventuring focus in the less-civilized post-Civil War West. Mechanics are d10 & percentile-based and fall apart at the higher skill levels, but that will not be a problem for a Con-type setup.

------

Frankly, I am not familiar with Castles & Crusades. As I mentioned above, I have been out of the hobby for a while and stumbled on TrllCon in July 2010. There seems to be a flowering of RPGs after a long, long dry spell. Lots replicate old games & mechanics and some are a new take on the idea.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Sounds good. Castles & Crusades is often likened to AD&D 1st edition but "updated" to the modern gamer's expectations. This, of course, is not a universal expectation but judging from C&C's success it seems to be a widely accepted one. Basically, it has the "feel" of AD&D but with the more modern unified mechanics (ascending AC, no THAC0, etc.). Personally, I find AD&D less appealing these days than C&C. I find both more appealing than 3.xe D&D or 4th edition D&D. You will likely find that Troll Con has a significant old school base that attends and so your AD&D game will potentially fill up quickly. I know that my OD&D (1974, no supplements) game filled up quickly last year and other old school games were likewise successful.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Man, I hope the planets and stars align so I can make it down this year....

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

You really think you might make it? That would be awesomesausage
-Genghis Khan

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

There is a glimmer of a hope of a prayer of a possibility....I gotta get my brother to committ to it so we can double sell our wives on it.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Good luck, hoss!
-Genghis Khan

Ogre
Hlobane Orc

Post by Ogre »

Piperdog wrote:
I gotta get my brother to committ to it so we can double sell our wives on it.

Tickets are only like 20 bucks, you might need your wives later!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Troll Con Little Rock 2011 Dates

Post by Tadhg »

Hope to be there. It's in my plan to attend!! :ugeek:
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Awwwwwww yeaaaahhhhhhhhh Rhu! :)
-Genghis Khan

brotherdew
Ungern

Post by brotherdew »

I'm looking forward to this year's Trollcon. Ben and I are already making plans. I hope to get the whole weekend off this year. I may even try my hand at running a game.
Bandits DON'T use train tickets.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Hope to see you all there again! Which reminds me, time to start working on "Kobold Raiders III"...
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Is there an inkling of a date? I have my nephew talked into going with me (an extra driver is nice for that haul). And I'm gonna try to talk Big O into going this year too, since we will be driving right past Cleveland on our way. Hope to see a lot of you folks there.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

I'm interested in the possible date, too. This year I might fly in to have more time to hang around--and actually game. The health is much better, after all!

brotherdew
Ungern

Post by brotherdew »

I hate to be a bother, but I am just so antsy and very anxious for the wonderful time that is to be had at this year's Trollcon. When do you guys usually set the date for Trollcon?

timburns
Ulthal

Post by timburns »

I'll talk to Steve this week and see if we can't firm up a date, or at least give you guys an update on it. Tim "homieclaus" Burns

brotherdew
Ungern

Post by brotherdew »

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Look forward to this, by the time it rolls around I'll be on terminal leave and moving/moved back to Oklahoma, sooooo I should get to go this year!!!!! (and pay up on some of the beers I've promised the trolls)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

timburns wrote:I'll talk to Steve this week and see if we can't firm up a date, or at least give you guys an update on it. Tim "homieclaus" Burns
Thanks Tim. I'm actually kind of stuck making plans for the summer, as we're thinking of a two-week cross-country excursion with TrollCon in the middle - but also have to factor in work schedules, college orientations, and everything else going on!
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Don't know if we will be there, lots still up in the air, but I would say we have a decent chance at this point.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

finerion
Mist Elf

Post by finerion »

I'm definitely going to be there this year. Eagerly awaiting the date so I can start making my arrangements. :)
Check out my video series and blog on video games and roleplaying.

The Alfred Effect

Follow me on Twitter

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

I definately need to knows these dates. My wife is planing a family vacation and what a beter place to visit than Little Rock.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

YEP. I would like to see if it fits in the schedule this year.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Piperdog wrote:YEP. I would like to see if it fits in the schedule this year.
That would be full of awesome, dude.

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

Looks like Ben & I won't make it this year. I'm up against the wall to schedule my vacation and couldn't wait any longer. :(

Hopefully things can get sorted out a bit earlier next year, without the gorilla of the CKG on everyone's back.

brotherdew
Ungern

Post by brotherdew »

CKDad wrote:Looks like Ben & I won't make it this year. I'm up against the wall to schedule my vacation and couldn't wait any longer. :(

Hopefully things can get sorted out a bit earlier next year, without the gorilla of the CKG on everyone's back.
Unfortunately, I'm becoming pressed for time as well. Hopefully they will be able to get us some news soon so me and my Ben can still make it.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Troll Con comes down to dates, 12(?)hour roundtrip gas, and accomodations. Thankfully, I saw Stephen, and Todd Gray earlier this year, but for some crazy reason I want to see Davis, Peter, Mark, the elusive Mac Golden, Jason, and the rest again. *fingers crossed* Admission is much cheaper than GenCon, but travel takes a little longer, etc.