Crusader Feature Requests

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

How about alternate weapons for the C&C game? How about and article on swords? Include a ton of differnt sword pictures and descriptions, plus damage and statistics. That would be spiffy. All sorts of different weapons could be cool.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

Thanks, guys. I'll simmer on those. Just turned in another location article for 22.

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

A breakdown and explanation as to how Combat works with AC, HD and HP all factored in for new players.

Also an article on how Experience Points are determined over the course of an adventure or from scenario to scenario would be helpful to new players.

This could include determining Experience Points from Treasure, encounters with various monsters and humanoids, plus how some Castle Keepers determine experience points from Role Play.

Thanks for your kind consideration and if these have been addressed in earlier issues, then please point me in the right direction to those issues.

Hammer

Minister of War

Sakusammakko
Ungern

Post by Sakusammakko »

To date, I've stayed away from Crusader and similar kinds of magazines. I've wondered if they'd really be worth the money.

However, since giving Fight On! and Knockspell a go, I realize that there are some good tidbits in these magazines that spark the imagination. Now that the pdfs for Crusaders 11-20 are on sale, I think I will take a chance and purchase some.

Here's what I'd like to see in future Crusaders (if it hasn't been published in past issues).
Combine House Rules (& Rulings) with Encounters

I'm always interested to hear suggestions on how people have tweaked the rules or how they rule on common situations. I think the best way to illustrate the points, though, is to place them in the context of an encounter that people can use in their own campaigns.

For example, the explanation for ruling on how nets might work could be a sidebar in an encounter where something needs to be captured or where a trap involving nets plays a prominent role. It's an opportunity to show how this could be adjudicated. Do you take a grapple approach or do you make a SIEGE check? Which abilities do you use? Etc.

This may be a way to preview some of the topics that would be collected in the CKG. How to handle swimming (and drowning), new types of grenade-like missiles and guidelines to judge how they'd work, simple methods for attracting followers, how environmental hazards might be adjudicated, etc.

If encounters are included, the maps don't have to be complex, but they should be well-drawn.

There could also be Point/Counterpoint looks at how different CKs would adjudicate various combat situations. The benefits and drawbacks of each approach might help other CKs find a method that works for them.
Campaign Material

Rather than extensive write-ups on campaign settings (or pieces of settings) that may not suit every taste, perhaps have shorter articles that are more bulleted with the details to be modified/ expanded upon by the CK.

An article with many brief examples of ancient wars between lost races (elves, dragons, giants) beyond the borderlands could serve as a backdrop for introducing forgotten treasures and half-remembered rumors to kick start or maintain the adventure-lust of your party.

I'd like advice on how to create convincing factions that use the PCs towards their own ends and that can be used by the PCs. I think it was the C&C module I2 that had a good write up of various political factions in the wilderness. Something that goes through possible motivations and how the dynamics of creatures competing for limited resources would look and feel. Additionally, there's the topic of how the acquisition of an item or access to a resource or the use of some magic unexpectedly tilts the balance of power between groups. What happens to the other factions when you topple the strongest?

For campaigns where there are mo magic shops, the flora & fauna needed for homemade concoctions and how you could use SIEGE checks to judge availability. Something on natural poisons, weapons, etc. What kind of homemade armor would a goblin dream up when leather armor is not available?
Encounters

New encounter tables for different environments. They could be monster tables, but smaller, random, non-combat tables that suit other situations would be fun. Encounters that challenge the party's thinking skills. Unusual situations you might come across in high mountains, things that might happen when it rains in the forest, etc.

Lots of random tables that encourage the wtf? factor within an encounter. Not traps exactly, more like tricks. Something that takes adventurers' pre-conceived ideas and puts them on their head-- or uses their caution against them. Or encourages it. Especially the do-we-touch-it? moments.

Thank you for letting me ramble on. BTW, I won't read fiction and I'm not so interested in the board game topics.

R

One is a monthly affair on Saturday nights, 8pm EST (Company of Delvers).

The second is an historically-inspired campaign with players from around the world (Legio Campaign).
I enjoy running Castles & Crusades online using FGII. Current campaign(s) on hiatus.

Willing to run one-shots for players who want to see how C&C plays on FGII. Feel free to contact me.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

I think a lot of the points you addressed in your post have been covered in some way, shape or form in the journal, but I think there are some other good points here as well. The business on encounters is of interest, and I submitted a piece that is along these lines in terms of the wtf? factor.

I think one of the problems with a lot of these topics, however, is that many of these were also covered back when Dragon was in its heyday. The bit on natural weapons, there was a great piece in Dragon that could easily be house ruled/converted to C&C. There was a great article on poisons/treatments called "Wounds & Weeds" that I still keep on hand if I'm playing a ranger or druid or even an assassin. I guess I'm lucky in having a copy of the CD-ROM archive of the first 250 issues. If I want that sort of advice, that's more geared toward role playing instead of rules mechanics, I look to the Dragon archive. I enjoy Crusader for other reasons.