Crusader 4

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Got mine today, looks good with a quick glance through. I will read it at work tonight! Thanks for helping me pass the time at another boring shift Trolls.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Wow, surprise surprise. I got a Crusader #4 in the mail today, too. Had to peel off the address labels, but sweet! Yay!

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I have been reading through my copy and I must say good work Trolls and all authors. The bit about cell phones and gaming was awesome, I am running to this problem in my own game as well, along with all too frequent smoking breaks by two of my players. I look forward to more issues, and I might even send some submissions in.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Fingers drumming on desk . . . waiting . . . fidgeting - needing fresh Crusader reading material.
Hope to get mine today.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

sieg

Post by sieg »

Don't feel bad...I still don't have one either!
However, I've been informed by a friend that several of the merged classes (Brigand, Witch, Warcaster, HErmit, etc.) were left out of my article in #4; I assume for room reasons. So I'll try and get those done up for #5 in AW.

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

I really enjoyed this issue of the Crusader - kudos to all who contributed! I'm looking forward to the next issue!

(Which reminds me, I better get off my duff and finish Hammer and Anvil!)

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

sieg wrote:
Don't feel bad...I still don't have one either!
However, I've been informed by a friend that several of the merged classes (Brigand, Witch, Warcaster, HErmit, etc.) were left out of my article in #4; I assume for room reasons. So I'll try and get those done up for #5 in AW.

Hope they make it in, they sound cool.

Ogma
Mist Elf

Post by Ogma »

Hmmm... I don't know...

Paper so thin that I was afraid to turn the pages (compared to issue 3 which was very nice, indeed)

Too much focus on/by Darlene (I like her stuff just fine, but: Cover art, blurb about said cover, 4 page article about dragon cartoons and an additional page of dragon illustrations (plus an 1/3 page add for her card game...)

THREE different articles on multi-classing in C&C?!?!

Trust me, I love that the trolls are doing the mag, but I hope to see it grow and get better in the future (instead, it seems to be getting cheaper in quality and more sparse in content).

~Ogma

sieg

Post by sieg »

After speaking to Steve, I found out that the paper was a thing due to the Printer and that he and Davis weren't too thrilled with the newsprint type paper either. Expect a return to quality paper in #5.

As for my article, barring objections from Darlene it looks like they'll make it.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hmm, still haven't received my Crusader yet. Has anyone else not received their copy?

Jynx
Red Cap

Post by Jynx »

Rhuvein wrote:
Hmm, still haven't received my Crusader yet. Has anyone else not received their copy?

Me too... still waiting, but then again I'm up in Canada so it may be a little late.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

If you have not recieved your copy PM me right away or email me at [email protected]. Everyone should have gotten by now.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

And thanks for all the good word!! We'll get better with each issue. I promise.

Issue 5 on the table now!

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Here's to hoping we see the double whammy of Peter's submission and mine!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Troll Lord wrote:
If you have not recieved your copy PM me right away or email me at [email protected]. Everyone should have gotten by now.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I'll make one last check of the mail today, and if it's not there, I'll send ya an e-mail!

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

haven't received mine yet - but remembering from previous issues, I think us Canuk's get them delivered close to 3 weeks after it's been released...

cheers,

J.

(and yes Steve, I'm pretty sure I've got the right address this time )

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

sieg wrote:
After speaking to Steve, I found out that the paper was a thing due to the Printer and that he and Davis weren't too thrilled with the newsprint type paper either. Expect a return to quality paper in #5.

As for my article, barring objections from Darlene it looks like they'll make it.

Glad to hear the paper issue will be taken care of. After a first read things look pretty good, I like all the options for multiclassing, I'll run these past the group before I kick of my next campaign.

Right now I favor Siegs, with the modification that classes using the fighter keep weapon specialization. (IMHO if your going to pay full price in experience then you should get all the benefits.)

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

Got mine today.

Ummm, not to be completely negative...

I know others have mentioned this, but I will add my voice to the choir.

Physically, its very lacking. Flimsy pages, flimsy cover. Judge's Guild was doing better in 1979. (And I understand that the printers are being blamed, but I must wonder if they are getting paid for such under-par work; I know we're getting an extra issue on our subscriptions because this one was so late, but late AND flimsy is disappointment squared.)

Content-wise, I am sorry to say I found it similarly lacking. Lots of fluff, and little of true substance. I loved Casey Canfield's article; Stephen's editorial was good if way too long to be considered an editorial (it was, more properly, an article); fiction, I fear, is simply a space-filler in a mag as new as the Crusader and a system as new as C&C needs substance and practical articles more than inspirational fiction which could be found in a multitude of other sources; Davis' article on multi-classing was interesting, even though I have a few personal qualms with the direction in which he goes; the Dragon People article was... forgive me... fluff; Nicole Leigh's article was a great addition, doing my own Medieval History major proud; Joseph Hepler's article kept up the nuts-and-bolts theme of multiclassing; by the time I got to Mike Stewarts article on the same subject, it was kinda tedious, even if the article itself was fine in and of itself, mostly because once the CKG comes out most of these rules options for multi-classed characters will probably be made obsolete; and finally Todd Gray's column was nice as far as it went, but I was left wondering how a rant against cellphones was really all that germaine to gaming.

Next issue worries me only inasmuch as the theme is a game that isn't C&C. I was kinda hoping for a magazine that would support C&C in its infancy, rather than yet another general gaming magazine.

Please don't misunderstand me; nothing is soured on C&C or TLG. I just found this particular issue of the magazine to be a disappointment, and wanted to make my voice heard.

I'll be happy to start writing articles, and put my money where my mouth is, if the Trolls need content.

Thulcondar

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Thulcondar wrote:
I'll be happy to start writing articles, and put my money where my mouth is, if the Trolls need content.

Thulcondar

Fan submission content is rather something to be hoped for. So feel free to send submissions.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Fan submissions, indeed, are greatly wanted as are "letters to the editor."

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Fan submission content is rather something to be hoped for. So feel free to send submissions.

Writer's Guidelines anywhere to be had?

Thul

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Thulcondar wrote:
Writer's Guidelines anywhere to be had?

Thul

Bout the same as the module guidelines more or less, I would imagine? Just a lot less pages.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Davis wrote:
Writers Guidelines

here is the quick and dirty.

1. we are only accepting C&C adventure modules at the moment. These are 24 pages (about 18,000 words).

2. Send in an outline of the module (One page) along with a three page sample of the module to be produced (preferably a meaty portion - not the intro).

3. We will give it the thiumbs up or down.

4. then send in the completed 18000 word doc.

5. include a cover idea and five interior pic ideas

6. include all maps (be sure they a legible)

7. At that point we will give it the final thumbs up or down.

Deatils

Use word or wordperfect

Do not highlight, bold, italicize or do anything to the text.

When making charts - use tabs. do not create tables and such. we will do that. If you want the chart to appear in a certain manner, include the sample but be sure we have an unformatted chart to work with. use one tab to seperate column information. It looks clunky but is easier for us to lay out.

Use template form our mods for monster stats (if you do not, we will kick it back)

If text is to be read aloud put it in quotation marks

if text is bold put a in front and behing that text

if text is to be italicized put a in front and behind that text

Overview (about 500 words)

Intro (about 1000 words)

Special Notes for the Castle Keeper (about 1000 words)

Mix match the above but we should be able to put them on the first two pages of the module. It would be best if you kept all those to 2000 words.

Please sublmit to [email protected] - title it submission cc

We will update and get this all nice looking at some point in the future Smile

thx

davis

Found in Thulcondar's thread in General.

Obviously, Crusader subs would be similar.

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

serleran wrote:
Found in Thulcondar's thread in General.

Obviously, Crusader subs would be similar.

For the love of the Gods! PLEASE get that on the website in some form or another! If submissions are as sought as we are told... the format for submissions should not be hidden.

Thul

Thulcondar
Ungern

Post by Thulcondar »

I will point out that, in general, magazine submission guidelines generally differ from those pertaining to product submissions in terms of length and subject matter.

I am guessing that Crusader submissions shouldn't be 24 pages long, and also that they aren't limited to adventure modules.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

jman5000 wrote:
haven't received mine yet - but remembering from previous issues, I think us Canuk's get them delivered close to 3 weeks after it's been released...

I'm not holding my breath yet, either. It'll be at least another fortnight to three weeks in all likelihood for those on this side of the pond.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I just recently ordered Issue 4 so I haven't gotten it yet, but I have a question.

There was mention in the Rings of Brass forum that the Mist Elves would be covered in this issue. Are they in there?

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

DangerDwarf wrote:
I just recently ordered Issue 4 so I haven't gotten it yet, but I have a question.

There was mention in the Rings of Brass forum that the Mist Elves would be covered in this issue. Are they in there?

Yes sir they are.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Nifty.

Thanks

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Yes sir they are.

Nice, hoping to see my issue soon!