Crusader 5 congrats!

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Crusader 5 congrats!

Post by Breakdaddy »

I just wanted to mention how much the quality of the new Crusader 5 has improved over previous crusaders. This thing is top notch, with some really great cover art to boot. Hats off to Mike Stewart on his Multiclasses as Classes article, which looks well thought out and very usable. I havent had a chance to read much of the rest, but Casey Canfield's article on Mysterious Places looks very promising (Im just starting to read it). I always enjoy reading Gary's offerings, so I'm saving that stuff for last. I hope the rest of you find it worth the wait, as I have!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

sieg

Post by sieg »

Thanks....and it must be nice to live in LR; I don't have a copy of Crusader #5 yet!

3rd Eye

Re: Crusader 5 congrats!

Post by 3rd Eye »

Breakdaddy wrote:
I just wanted to mention how much the quality of the new Crusader 5 has improved over previous crusaders. This thing is top notch

Glad you like it, Breakdaddy; and I hope everyone else agrees with you. I guess we'll find out once those issues start reaching everyone else's mail boxes

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Postal holiday today, but I'll be watching tomorrow!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Molotov
Skobbit

Post by Molotov »

I picked up #5 at DunDraCon this past Sunday, and after reading it and the PH over lunch, bought into the line a bit deeper (*ahem*).

#5's definitely a nice improvement over the prior issues (not that I disliked those issues). Several of the columns had great value items - Hammer & Anvil with "Mysterious Places" and "One Night Stands" stood out especially for me. The Auld Wyrmish piece was nice content-wise; there was something off with the text spacing / font, I think, which made it look inconsistent with the rest of the mag. I didn't much take to the two cg art pieces, but that's taste for you.

Overall, a nice piece of work. I didn't mind the price increase that went along with the size and quality increase.

Personally, I'd like to see "One Night Stands" continue as a regular column; "Mysterious Places" might have similar legs as a spin off column as well.

Thanks!

Brian

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

Yeah, I was really happy with what I saw of it at DunDraCon as well, especially the multi classing article. Didn't pick one up as I have a subscription, but am really looking forward to it.

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I hope my copy arrives soon, as all the reviews so far sound great. 8)

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

mvc

Got mine Yesterday

Post by mvc »

I had to tustle my son for it. I pulled adult status and pointed out that he had his homework to do first.
/manole

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Just revieved my copy in the mail. Wow, nice work. The magazine feels more like a good ole' fashioned magazine now. Good paper, and the whole-nine yards. I guess I've got some reading material in front of me now!

................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Yayyy, I got my copy and it looks fantastic. I'll have to sit down and read this right after dinner!! 8)

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

got mine today fantastic

ken

Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you

Slice N Dice: Game and Pizza Parlour

WWBYD What would Brigham Young do ?
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Got mine today. One concern... the cover looks a bit off center. It extends around the left edge somewhat, like down the spine. Supposed to do that? Doesn't bother me any, but I noticed it... mostly 'cause its the cover.

The contents are what I expect, and the Bill Webb (Necromancer's Tsathogga) stuffies are neat. Still hoping to get something of mine in there, one day. Maybe a letter to the editor.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

serleran wrote:
Got mine today. One concern... the cover looks a bit off center. It extends around the left edge somewhat, like down the spine. Supposed to do that? Doesn't bother me any, but I noticed it... mostly 'cause its the cover.

Yes, mine does too. Hardly noticeable actually and doesn't at all detract from the look of the cover or back page!
Time to sit and read . . .

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Dang, so it is supposed to do that, and I don't have an extra-special, ultra-rare Davis-fell-asleep-at-the-printer edition! Damn!

grubman

Post by grubman »

Wonderfull job! This is what I was hoping the mag would be eventually. (Now I know where the Beef is! )

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Yeah, the cover is off just a little - probably due to the cut of the covers. To me, doesn't matter.

Overall, looks great! Definitely in the right direction! Like the "One Night Stands", stories, etc. Ah, growing pains! Gotta love them! Great job guys!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Dolgan vs. Unklar

Post by Tadhg »

I just finished The Forge King's Malice and it was a fantastic article/story! Well done!!!
Fans of fantasy/sword & sorcery will enjoy it.

Fans of Aihrde will really enjoy it.

Great reading. Makes me want to sit down and reread the Codex again.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

All this talk has pushed me over the edge, its time to subscribe.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

My copy plopped onto the mat on the 3rd of March. Instantly I noticed that the material quality had gone up impressively. Later that morning I was able to relax and peruse it a bit. Great mag; possibly the best issue so far. Keep this up and a resub is guaranteed.

"How it all Happened". I can take or leave this, but it's a nice way to start the mag off. Eases you in nicely.

"Alea Iacta Est". Good stuff; top notch.

"Hammer & Anvil" Some good ideas, but I'd have probably preferred something a bit more generic. Tunguska was all very well, but a bunch of flattened trees with tiny bits of meteorite drilled into 'em doesn't have quite the gravitas of Barringer Crater to me. Who knows what eldritch horrors could lurk, resting fitfully as they heal their terrible injuries, beneath some fantastic impact crater? What legends have been told about the untold riches beneath? What have their milennia of pain done to those beings?

Damn, this stuff's catching, innit? Anyway, jolly good stuff.

Haven't read the fiction yet, so I'll withold comment on that, except to say theat the proportion's about right for me. Some there to peruse at leisure, but not too much.

Haven't read the LA stuff. That'll probably get a lookover once I've read the thing and go back for a flip-through.

"One Night Stands". Fantastic stuff! Loved the barrows, but then I'm a barrow kinda guy. Must have more of this, and I'm inspired to have a go at submitting some.

"Auld Wyrmish". Loved part 1, and part 2 didn't disappoint.

"Angry Gamer". Didn't do it for me this time round, but never mind.

Ovrall: Absolutely wonderful, Trolls and authors. Probably the best issue so far in terms of content, easily the best in terms of material quality, and I can only hope that #6 matches it.

ragnar1965

Post by ragnar1965 »

Let me add my kudos to the praise fest going on. The new format and quality is outstanding. I'm told that it is on par with the old Dragon magazine. That is extremely high praise coming from the person it came from. It's obvious to me that much hard work went into the revamp. It was well worth the trouble. I love the changes.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Catweazle wrote:
My copy plopped onto the mat on the 3rd of March. Instantly I noticed that the material quality had gone up impressively. Later that morning I was able to relax and peruse it a bit. Great mag; possibly the best issue so far. Keep this up and a resub is guaranteed.

"How it all Happened". I can take or leave this, but it's a nice way to start the mag off. Eases you in nicely.

"Alea Iacta Est". Good stuff; top notch.

"Hammer & Anvil" Some good ideas, but I'd have probably preferred something a bit more generic. Tunguska was all very well, but a bunch of flattened trees with tiny bits of meteorite drilled into 'em doesn't have quite the gravitas of Barringer Crater to me. Who knows what eldritch horrors could lurk, resting fitfully as they heal their terrible injuries, beneath some fantastic impact crater? What legends have been told about the untold riches beneath? What have their milennia of pain done to those beings?

Damn, this stuff's catching, innit? Anyway, jolly good stuff.

Haven't read the fiction yet, so I'll withold comment on that, except to say theat the proportion's about right for me. Some there to peruse at leisure, but not too much.

Haven't read the LA stuff. That'll probably get a lookover once I've read the thing and go back for a flip-through.

"One Night Stands". Fantastic stuff! Loved the barrows, but then I'm a barrow kinda guy. Must have more of this, and I'm inspired to have a go at submitting some.

"Auld Wyrmish". Loved part 1, and part 2 didn't disappoint.

"Angry Gamer". Didn't do it for me this time round, but never mind.

Ovrall: Absolutely wonderful, Trolls and authors. Probably the best issue so far in terms of content, easily the best in terms of material quality, and I can only hope that #6 matches it.

Thanks for the good word Cat!! I'm glad you enjoyed it and as for the quality. We have settled on a paper stock and cover, so issue 6 and on will resemble issue 5.

Thanks!

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

Yeah, I just got mine today! It is awesome!

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I finished reading mine today. I almost didn't read Stephen/Stevens editorial because I thought it was going to be about Tarzan.

I totally agree with the editorial. You definitely have to be careful who you'll pull it off with. When I had it done to me way back when it was done to a very high level dual class fighter mage I had played for a couple of years.

Visions of serious bodily harm done to my DM dominated my mind for a while. Then I toughed it out and kept playing. It made a character fresh and new again, even though I hadn't realized it was old and stale.

I have rarely tried it in my game because too many of my players took their characters way too serious, and had control issues, so I didn't think it worth the risk.

When you find players that can handle it results are great.

I also liked both pieces of fiction, I just think I would have enjoyed first person/conversational writing better than a "historian" viewpoint.

Bills three scenarios are all great for me to adapt to things I want to do in my current campaign, so they were great and perfectly timed for my needs.

Todd, keep preachin it brother! I am so sick of people tearing movies apart and killing chances for a sequel because so many people would rather tear it apart then see what is good about it.

Take the second D&D movie, much, much, much better than the first. Still not good/great, but much better. Hopefully this will lead to an even better third movie, despite everyone who still tear it apart and seriously decrease chances of a third try.

Movies typically require investors. To get those investors they have to have a certain level of confidence that they will get a return on their money.

If they hear most people bad mouthing, they won't invest and the movie won't happen.

I would like to see sequals to several movies, but it won't happen if everyone concetrates on tearing the first ones down.

So go see movies like Ghost Rider and concentrate on what is good, and talk about that and "suggest" what would make it even better. That way we might actually see D&D movies we like, or Daredevil, or Elektra, etc...

So preach on!

Sieg,

I like your class mergers, so if I don't use the Bounty Hunters and such from the 1E Dragon mags I'll have good alternatives. Not to mention good guidelines for converting the 1E versions to C&C rules.

Great issues guys. Keep this up and I'll subscribe.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Oh yeah, I liked the special places article too. In fact I am going to Sedona next month, again.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

Well, I just finished reading my copy, and I have to say that the Troll's didn't just hit a home run, but hit a grand slam with this issue. Way to go! Top notch quality all around.

here's looking forward to seeing issue #6

Cheers,

J.

oh, on that note, will there be a notice or something to those of us who've subscribed since issue 1 and it's coming up for renewal?

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

jman5000 wrote:
Well, I just finished reading my copy, and I have to say that the Troll's didn't just hit a home run, but hit a grand slam with this issue. Way to go! Top notch quality all around.

here's looking forward to seeing issue #6

Ditto, super job.

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

catweasle wrote:

This is precisely what I was going for with that article. With limited space, the best thing an article can do is get the creative juices flowing. My goal was to present a few ideas and then turn the reader loose looking for others. I *really* wanted to discuss Oak Island in Nova Scotia in more depth, but that would require an entire magazine in its own right.

Everyone has different preferences regarding what is intriguing or mysterious. I personally thought the Tunguska section was the most compelling of the entire article, but rather than a "Top-Ten" list, I thought it would be much more helpful if I showed how certain places can spark the imagination.

Thanks for your comments!

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society