Crusader 27

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Crusader 27

Post by Troll Lord »

Greetings all,

The first submissions for Crusader 27 landed on my desk last night. Mark Sandy worked up a nice guideline for making your existing class, multiclass (he's always switching mid-stream in my game). And we are working on a roll called Class Check...a quick and dirty way to do class-based perception checks if you are so inclined (your probably already doing this).

But we need more submissions.

If your interested in landing in Crusader with an adventure (short), magic items, spells, home rules that are pretty cool, etc give us a shout. Email TODD at todd AT trolllord.com.

Thanks,
Steve

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Re: Crusader 27

Post by Frost »

Troll Lord wrote:And we are working on a roll called Class Check...a quick and dirty way to do class-based perception checks if you are so inclined (your probably already doing this).
I'm eager to hear about this one.

I came up with my own rule, although it's more specific to surprise rolls. Instead of just a Wisdom roll, I allow the players to make a Dex roll if they prefer.

It just seemed odd that the Cleric was surprised less than the Rogue. ;)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Nice, Steve! Interested in seeing this!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Mac Golden
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mac Golden »

Class checks actually go beyond perception. I will write the article for it if the editor will let me....

8-)

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Mac Golden wrote:Class checks actually go beyond perception. I will write the article for it if the editor will let me....

8-)
You could always just bribe him with Dr Pepper. ;)

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

PER (perception) = (INT+WIS+DEX+3d6)/4
Put it on PC sheets right after the main six
Use this for those darn nagging times, who notices what, but its not too specific.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Neat idea.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

If I decide to go there, I'll just go with what I did in 1E AD&D for "perception", or do the INT+WIS/2=Perception attribute idea. I don't see a reason to increase such a formula to 4 numbers, but hey, if you like it, by all means do it. To me that is what C&C is all about.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Kirk_O wrote:PER (perception) = (INT+WIS+DEX+3d6)/4
Use this for those darn nagging times, who notices what, but its not too specific.
Gah! I'd rather just create a new perception stat and have the player roll 3d6.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Kirk_O wrote:PER (perception) = (INT+WIS+DEX+3d6)/4
Gah! I'd rather just create a new perception stat and have the player roll 3d6.
Exactly why C&C is so awesome. Ultimately we do whatever we like best.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Somewhat related, I don't like that Wisdom checks are used for Surprise checks. Why are clerics never surprised? ;) It seems to give that attribute extra weight.

My house rule is that each player can pick to use either his Wisdom (i.e., hits wits) or his Dex (i.e., reflexes) for surprise checks.

I also have the players all roll, but just use the best roll for their "side." Simplifies things a bit.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

Submission sent to Todd.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Great idea, simply have the equivalent of a 7th stat (or 8th if you use COM) - PERC. You could allow it to be modified by some classes (thieves, assassins, Druids, Barbarians, Rangers and monks) and some races if appropriate? In my old way, which was a hodge-podge of trying too keep everyone happy that their PC SHOULD be the most perceptive, by the time you averaged three stats plus a roll it usually washes out and most PCs end up around the same... If you consider "perception" not to be INT, WIS, or DEX, it might be fun to keep the roll method highly varied, 3D6 even if other stats are 4D6 drop lowest or some such... the highly intelligent mage with the 5 PERC could be fun!

Anyway, like Tree says, more than one way to skin the cat or should we say, "Notice if someone in the next room is skinning a cat."

PS When crediting or referencing Treebore, I see "Tree" a lot, sorry Buttmonkey, is there a polite shortening?

Kirk
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Alternate ideas for Encumbrance for your next issue:\

Make the players eacch draw their PC with everything on it, in its place; even a stick figure works. Its a fun task for all when taking a pizza break or some such and the group votes (peer pressure) who has too much stuff on their PC.. then they lighten the load as needed. If they won't do it willingly wait till they fail a save and their junk gets fried.... Play on.

Most silly fun to drive the point home is to dress up one person (the worst offender) in all their junk, have them jump onto a chair or better still make one roll (shoulder or summersault) across the floor too really feel what too much stuff does to you.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Here is a short one page original comic by Scott Smith circa 1983
Attachments
Comic-page1a.jpg
Comic-page1a.jpg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 22910 times

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

More Pen and Ink by Scott Smith circa 1985
Attachments
Seer.png
Seer.png (114.54 KiB) Viewed 22910 times

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

Kirk_O wrote:Great idea, simply have the equivalent of a 7th stat (or 8th if you use COM) - PERC. You could allow it to be modified by some classes (thieves, assassins, Druids, Barbarians, Rangers and monks) and some races if appropriate? In my old way, which was a hodge-podge of trying too keep everyone happy that their PC SHOULD be the most perceptive, by the time you averaged three stats plus a roll it usually washes out and most PCs end up around the same... If you consider "perception" not to be INT, WIS, or DEX, it might be fun to keep the roll method highly varied, 3D6 even if other stats are 4D6 drop lowest or some such... the highly intelligent mage with the 5 PERC could be fun!

Anyway, like Tree says, more than one way to skin the cat or should we say, "Notice if someone in the next room is skinning a cat."

PS When crediting or referencing Treebore, I see "Tree" a lot, sorry Buttmonkey, is there a polite shortening?

Kirk
Butt-monk?

:lol:
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Is this thing dead? Or just on break until other stuff is finished?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Captain_K wrote:Is this thing dead? Or just on break until other stuff is finished?
Crusader is always on hiatus until other stuff is finished. If it wasn't we would be on issue 54+.

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

If it picks up again, I might hop back in and contribute. I'm getting more free time again. :)
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

At this point I'd settle for a quarterly magazine. Bump up the page count and bump up the cost. Make it a more financially feasible for TLG. I'd pay $5.00 + shipping. Maybe even a little more depending on how many pages where added. Once every 3 months seems reasonable. Print + pdf options, would be ideal. I don't know how I'd feel about a pdf only book, but pretty much every other rpg magazine (With the exception of Gygax Magazine, and maybe other mags I'm unaware of.) has gone pdf only, with Pyramid mag, Dragon mag and Dungeon mag all going this route.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Sir Ironside wrote:At this point I'd settle for a quarterly magazine. Bump up the page count and bump up the cost. Make it a more financially feasible for TLG. I'd pay $5.00 + shipping.
If they get rid of a dead tree version it'll be more financially feasible. They could also sell them on RPGNow and the like.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote: They could also sell them on RPGNow and the like.
Especially since they already do.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote: They could also sell them on RPGNow and the like.
Especially since they already do.
Well, they sell OLD editions. Not new ones. ;)
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Honestly I'd rather a print copy - I'll be happy with quarterly... If my group gets going well I may even generate some articles for future issues.
~DMSamuel
---