Binding concerns about Crusader 23

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
JediOre
Ulthal

Binding concerns about Crusader 23

Post by JediOre »

Well, I'm finally getting through my giant stack of periodicals and made it to Crusader 23 today.

I'm loving the articles but I have serious concerns about the binding. I'm on page 5 and the first two sheets are coming out of the magazine.

Please return to a sturdy staple binding for future issues!

Thank ye kindly.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

JediOre
Ulthal

Re: Binding concerns about Crusader 23

Post by JediOre »

I received issue #24 in the mail today. It is, as was #23, perfect bound.

Perhaps I'm being a squeaky wheel, and if so I'll hush, but am I alone in preferring the staple bound issues?

As I related in my first post, pages of issue #23 are barely holding on. I'm also concerned about how the perfect bound issues will hold up to me making a photocopy of a table or monster. Will the binding crack?

Anyway that's my concern.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Kurgan
Ungern

Post by Kurgan »

Interesting. I hadn't noticed it on 23 (or maybe some were stapled?), but just got 24 and saw the perfect-bound format.

I kinda like it, if it holds-up and doesn't start losing pages like yours did.

Did you notice the paper seems different, too? Sturdier stock, and although the colors aren't glossy as before, I think the "look" works.

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Kurgan,

I too like the paper.

To the point, I like everything about the magazine except for the perfect binding. If the Crusader was one of my scholarly journals, a perfect binding is fine. I read the journal and it goes on my shelf. I plan on USING my Crusader magazines to improve our game. That means some photocopying of a magic item, spell, monster, etc. I have bad luck making a nice copy with perfect bound magazines, the binding usually creases and breaks. Couple that with a perfect bound product not remaining open unless aided, I am "crusading" for a staple backed magazine.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

My perfect bound issue 23 is fine . . no loose pages. Perhaps you got a bad copy. Call/email the Trolls for a replacement.

I would agree with the staple bound choice, but I'm guessing that the Trolls save money (and therefore that saving gets passed on to us) by doing the perfect bound way.

My copy of A7 is perfect bound, but strong and fine.

Good point about seeing what happens when you flatten it - I might give this a try and report back.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

I just noticed that they were perfect bound...didn't notice that before. I think overall I prefer stapled bindings if possible for mags as well...but that's just me. I think most are bound these days instead of stapled.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I have Crusader 23, but only read it once. Don't have A7 yet. For a variety of reasons, I'd probably vote for staple bound. That said, I haven't lost pages yet.